SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

27 minutes ago, burd said:

Enough top end talent to go the distance.  

Goaltending

Agreed.

They don't have a super high end "blue chippah" like Celebrini but they have a great grouping of forwards to make a top 9 that will definitely put up points.
A proven goalie that will now have a much better group in front of him.
And while the d-corps is starting fresh, it's a good mix of proven vets and high end rookies.

3 hours ago, Scratch said:

Pretty detailed review of this year's squad, especially the dearth of top end talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wx0735Sijo&ab_channel=HuskiesWarmingHousePodcast

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Blake, Gaber, James, Perron, Berg, McLaughlin etc., is hardly a dearth of top end talent.   

Just to clarify ... @Scratch you're saying we do or we DO NOT have a lot of top-end talent?

I would say dearth. Though at forward we have some good guys, there's a big difference in my mind between bringing in round 2-4 talent and top half of round 1 star power, which apparently now only goes to BC BU Mich and Minn. That trend continues with the signings we've seen since Aug 1. 

On D, bringing in guys from mid/bottom tier programs, with no star freshmen, leads me to believe something like last year is the most likely outcome. But I could easily be wrong. 

It's the most wonderful time of the year, when we only think of the best the players have to offer.  I'm chronically guilty of it, including this year.  I guess the SC guys have objectivity that I don't, but I'm not nearly so worried as they are.  Sounds like they're expecting a train wreck, while I'm thinking big bounce back year.

• Upvote 2

A specific thing I disagree with them on is Zmolek, who they seem to think couldn't crack Mankato's lineup, but I expect to be a significant part of the team for the next few years.  (He was hurt last year.)

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I would say dearth. Though at forward we have some good guys, there's a big difference in my mind between bringing in round 2-4 talent and top half of round 1 star power, which apparently now only goes to BC BU Mich and Minn. That trend continues with the signings we've seen since Aug 1. 

On D, bringing in guys from mid/bottom tier programs, with no star freshmen, leads me to believe something like last year is the most likely outcome. But I could easily be wrong. 

Dearth my butt. Having a team full of early first round picks sounds great, until they start signing contracts after one or two years. A mix of 1-2 year guys and 3-4 year guys is best to maintain continuity from year to year. I think the recent dip in recruiting is starting to turn around.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I've expected Simpson to coach in some capacity at UND ever since his last game. 

If those names are accurate and Smaby wants the job, I don't know how he doesn't get it. He almost got the position when Karl was hired. It sure seems like the position was written for him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, jk said:

It's the most wonderful time of the year, when we only think of the best the players have to offer.  I'm chronically guilty of it, including this year.  I guess the SC guys have objectivity that I don't, but I'm not nearly so worried as they are.  Sounds like they're expecting a train wreck, while I'm thinking big bounce back year.

I am with you on the bounce back year.

1 hour ago, jk said:

A specific thing I disagree with them on is Zmolek, who they seem to think couldn't crack Mankato's lineup, but I expect to be a significant part of the team for the next few years.  (He was hurt last year.)

Yeah they made a few comments like that which made me think that they didn't have great knowledge of many of the guys (shocker, from a couple podcast guys??).

From looking at this team on paper, I would guess that both our offense and goaltending will be improved.
The d-corps will be a wait-and-see, hopefully the coaches can have them playing up to their potential earlier in the season than what we saw from last year's group.

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yeah they made a few comments like that which made me think that they didn't have great knowledge of many of the guys (shocker, from a couple podcast guys??).

From looking at this team on paper, I would guess that both our offense and goaltending will be improved.
The d-corps will be a wait-and-see, hopefully the coaches can have them playing up to their potential earlier in the season than what we saw from last year's group.

I didn’t listen to this podcast because I listened to their preview last year and it was obvious they didn’t do much relevant research in certain areas which is an annoyance of mine.  :whistling:

7 hours ago, Scratch said:

Pretty detailed review of this year's squad, especially the dearth of top end talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wx0735Sijo&ab_channel=HuskiesWarmingHousePodcast

14 is “two thirds” of 26.

Ethan Frisch was a 200 foot forward.

Don’t waste your time listening to that melee of misinformation and moronic takes. Those are minutes of my life I’ll never get back. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don’t waste your time listening to that melee of misinformation and moronic takes. Those are minutes of my life I’ll never get back. 

The one guy couldn’t pronounce Goehring, although maybe they get that by listening to Jim Rich.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I've expected Simpson to coach in some capacity at UND ever since his last game. 

Since they are looking for someone to work with the defense, I would think Smaby and Simpson are probably good guesses.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Much like the Bump to Forks rumor this guy posted, this guy feels like he's making a lot up. Neither Chyz nor Smaby applied for the job, apparently. Sounds like an announcement will happen by the end of the week.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I rolled my eyes A LOT lol. 

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

They made it sound like we are bringing in a bunch of scrubs. Pehrson, Pyke and Zmolek would be in top 2 pairings across the NCHC. Bubs and company focused on responsibile d-men because they realize what we have up front and also what we have coming in the pipeline. 

On 8/1/2023 at 2:03 PM, Kevin G said:

Dangit, I hate the end of summer. Even though it means college hockey is getting closer, I still hate the end of summer. 

Now I've got to go outside and work, even though it's so hot. Ugh.

Its bittersweet. Closer to closing up the cabin, putting the fishing stuff away along with all the other fun summer things.

But, we get the nice Fall weather. Football, closer to hockey and kids go back to school.

I love fall, just not so crazy about what comes after that.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Its bittersweet. Closer to closing up the cabin, putting the fishing stuff away along with all the other fun summer things.

But, we get the nice Fall weather. Football, closer to hockey and kids go back to school.

I love fall, just not so crazy about what comes after that.

Exactly, the after fall part is when you question why the hell I live here. And Spring through Fall reminds me. It's a never-ending cycle.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Much like the Bump to Forks rumor this guy posted, this guy feels like he's making a lot up. Neither Chyz nor Smaby applied for the job, apparently. Sounds like an announcement will happen by the end of the week.

Who are you guessing gets it?

16 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I thought I heard that Smaby didn't apply, but I could be wrong. Since he's the head coach of the Waterloo Blackhawks.