SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

2 hours ago, dustnyou said:

Yes that’s a terrible idea. Judd is very effective in front of the net. He screens well and he’s hard to move. His play doesn’t always show up on the scoresheet but he’s responsible for a lot more goals than most people on this board realize. Every once in a while he makes a high skill / highlight play as well. He’s a good power forward. 

Scoring goals don’t matter much when you can’t play defense. Judd is a strong 200 ft forward. Brad Miller made the switch just fine. Remember, we might need six new defensemen next year. But sure, let’s make a wish and bring in more portal players.

19 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Gucci, Adams, and even Mismash should be talking to him about what to expect. He could probably make more from NIL auto commercials than he will in the coast.

This is exactly it.  Bless his heart and the #MGFC, but he's not going to play in the NHL.  Ryan Duncan, a guy who won a pretty big award made a career of it in Europe.  Probably the path for Gaber after he leaves. 

2 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Excellent, excellent summary. 

"My only HOPE is that Berry let's them play in a more wide-open system." That is the million-dollar question. Or will Berry employ 11-27-13 as his top, minutes-eating line.

B-Rad needs to up his Rizz next year!  Gotta have game.

3 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So what will that say to recuits if we have nhl draft picks enter the portal, not a job look. 

I agree it’s not the result I want, and it’s already happened with Blaisdell. 

But FWIW, Chris Wilkie, Wade Murphy, and Mike Cichy all transferred out of UND when you still had to sit a season.

Brett Bruneteau transferred, but I believe he had graduated.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Oh my, imagine a 2021 round 2 (#58 overall) by Pittsburgh Penguins draft pick going portal and leaving! 

Wait, he went from Minnesota to Denver last summer: Tristan Broz

Take a breath. 

Again, many on this board are over valuing draft status. Other than 1st or 2nd rounders the odds of playing in NHL for those drafted later is about the same as those who are undrafted free agents. 

47 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I agree it’s not the result I want, and it’s already happened with Blaisdell. 

But FWIW, Chris Wilkie, Wade Murphy, and Mike Cichy all transferred out of UND when you still had to sit a season.

Brett Bruneteau transferred, but I believe he had graduated.

Blaisdell had 4 points in 32 games this year for UNH.  Often guys who leave were not playing for a reason.

• Upvote 2

Anyone else feel totally lost tonight?  Saturday night and no UND hockey.   I think I'm first realizing the season is over for the year.  It sure bothers me a lot more tonight than it did last night.   I think it's going to be a long off season until football.  Sucks.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hawkster said:

Anyone else feel totally lost tonight?  Saturday night and no UND hockey.   I think I'm first realizing the season is over for the year.  It sure bothers me a lot more tonight than it did last night.   I think it's going to be a long off season until football.  Sucks.

I hear this. I’ve been lost all day. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Albrecht was one of our best forwards the past few months. You need guy that will give you 100% every shift.

You mean he works really hard…I wouldn’t say he was one of our best Fs. Fs need to be productive, he really isn’t whatsoever.

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

I agree with Schloss that our forward group has the chance to be elite next season.  It will be a deep and talented group.
My only HOPE is that Berry lets them play in a more wide-open system.  We'll have the ability to play and BEAT teams next season playing a more run-n-gun style.
Will it mean that we'll also allow more goals...of course, but we probably will anyway with a new goalie and almost entirely new and young d-corps.

I was never a "hater" of Senden and Hain like some on this group, but I do agree that they gobbled up valuable minutes and had a slower, more grinding style of play.
I think we're a stronger team next year, especially on the front end.

We'll have the depth to have almost 3 scoring lines and one grinding/shut-down line.
Berry just needs to utilize them effectively rather than give the shut-down line the majority of the minutes.

Berry has to adapt to the newer style of play. Plain and simple. He has to let the skill players play and deal with some of the D breakdowns/learning curve. He has a couple skill guys coming in, they both have to play. If we stick with this chip and chase style of play I’m afraid he won’t make it another year or two.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Berry has to adapt to the newer style of play. Plain and simple. He has to let the skill players play and deal with some of the D breakdowns/learning curve. He has a couple skill guys coming in, they both have to play. If we stick with this chip and chase style of play I’m afraid he won’t make it another year or two.

+1

Agreed, for sure.

38 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

It feel especially long if either DU or SCSU win it all too! Lol 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The fact that 21 played one game in that last month is ridiculous....and I won't even get started on 18. Skill wins games. This team will be better by addition by subtraction next year. 

I would bet big that 18 is gone. He had company sitting with him all night last night. 

3 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

I would bet big that 18 is gone. He had company sitting with him all night last night. 

Company?

Matteo is such a head-scratcher to me.  Such a great, promising freshman season for him...but then to go from 21 pts down to only 3 pts as a sophomore.  And he still played 25 games this season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Company?

Matteo is such a head-scratcher to me.  Such a great, promising freshman season for him...but then to go from 21 pts down to only 3 pts as a sophomore.  And he still played 25 games this season.

Yeah, it’s not like he hasn’t had his chance.  I am more confused how someone like Strinden who has brought the effort every night hasn’t had a place at least as an extra skater. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

You mean he works really hard…I wouldn’t say he was one of our best Fs. Fs need to be productive, he really isn’t whatsoever.

Everyone has a role. He knows his role, and therefore was productive. If you want to roll four lines of absolute studs, you’ll have to take out your checkbook.