SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night with Duluth-Spicer's Revenge???

Wilbur

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We don't play games at game speed. 

We are wholly predictable on breakouts from the defensive zone. How many times Saturday did a D take the puck behind the net ... and wait. Wait for the forwards ... during which time UMD got a full line change and the center ice (call it what it is) trap set up. That didn't happen last year because in that same time last year the one man breakout named Jake Sanderson would already be entering the attack zone. 

And you're missing one other factor: Leadership. 

BINGO!! 

53 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Things I just didn't like Saturday:

Kleven ended the first period four seconds early (and the whole arena gasped). That's what you call an omen. 

Blake is trying to be a one-man band. Does his stick not pass ... or shoot for that matter. 

Our sticks are not heavy on the puck. A cool breeze garners a take-away.

Our passes are short, soft, and late/behind. 

Shoot the puck. Everyone, just shoot the puck. Right now it is OT and any shot is a good shot. 

This team lacks fundamentals: four below your own goal line? There are squirts laughing at that. 

They look like a little kid soccer team in their own zone sometimes - everybody chasing the ball in a cluster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Things I just didn't like Saturday:

Kleven ended the first period four seconds early (and the whole arena gasped). That's what you call an omen. 

Blake is trying to be a one-man band. Does his stick not pass ... or shoot for that matter. 

Our sticks are not heavy on the puck. A cool breeze garners a take-away.

Our passes are short, soft, and late/behind. 

Shoot the puck. Everyone, just shoot the puck. Right now it is OT and any shot is a good shot. 

This team lacks fundamentals: four below your own goal line? There are squirts laughing at that. 

What did Kleven do? I can't remember.

22 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

They look like a little kid soccer team in their own zone sometimes - everybody chasing the ball in a cluster.

And what's worse is that they have been doing this all season long - Absolutely no corrections - game after game.  And we have many veterans on the team.  What happens between reviewing game film and the next game because we are back to doing the exact same things and getting burned.

• Upvote 1

@Sodbuster Kleven: About 00:04 on the clock he just casually chucked the puck from the defensive slot to the NE corner half wall with Bulldogs still in attack mode. It's like he thought there was even less time left than there was. If he wanted to dump it he should've gone "south"; or, he could've just skated it to the half wall to maintain possession and control. Poor situational awareness. 

24 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Can anyone name a player on this team that was here last year that you think is better this year than they were last year? I cannot, which I’d say is the problem. 

Lack of improvement not only from last year to this year but from game to game this year is a big concern.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I've never been less interested in UND hockey over the past 20 years. If we had a bad record but were playing tough, it would be a bit different. This team plays sloppy hockey with no chemistry night in and night out. The defensive zone turnover the other night was like something out of beer league hockey.

I said after the game this past Saturday that I just this season to be over with, I've never felt that before. Even during the two previous years that Berry's teams missed the tournament, I felt they had a shot at turning things around (barely missed both those years). Those teams played hard, thought the issue was more talent wise, but never questioned the things that you have to question this year. 

This year will be his 3rd tournament miss. It's clear that this coaching staff, given all their advantages is extremely average. We are not one of the programs anymore that is the exception to the rule. What does that mean? There will be good years and bad years. Unfortunately, it's time to lower expectations, because if not, there will be some very frustrating seasons ahead. Also, enjoy the good regular seasons. Don't take those for granted.  

13 minutes ago, Irish said:

Lack of improvement not only from last year to this year but from game to game this year is a big concern.

Did the incoming guys lose a critical year of development to lockdowns? (See: four below goal line.) Do the coaches not see this lack of fundamentals?

The coaches need to step back to "Hockey 101" training it seems. You know ... coach

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I said after the game this past Saturday that I just this season to be over with, I've never felt that before. Even during the two previous years that Berry's teams missed the tournament, I felt they had a shot at turning things around (barely missed both those years). Those teams played hard, thought the issue was more talent wise, but never questioned the things that you have to question this year. 

This year will be his 3rd tournament miss. It's clear that this coaching staff, given all their advantages is extremely average. We are not one of the programs anymore that is the exception to the rule. What does that mean? There will be good years and bad years. Unfortunately, it's time to lower expectations, because if not, there will be some very frustrating seasons ahead. Also, enjoy the good regular seasons. Don't take those for granted.  

59dba2e32da56_BillLumberghDisagreeWithYou.jpg.facb46f3a7f9d8dd1708f6566f0e7dd2.jpg

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Frankly, I hope this thread is on a monitor in a fancy leather-chair stadium-seating room somewhere in REA and the team is reading it together. 

I'd love to hear them try to refute these points. 

While that sounds amusing enough, I’d be more interested in seeing Brad Berry’s cell phone and the text message back-and-forth between him and Mama Gaber…

• Upvote 1

Our spectacular in-zone defensive play Saturday night made #5 on NCHC's Plays of the Week ... for Isaac Howard. 

But now I have the video on who was out there: 3, 25, 27, and 9 all below the goal line*, and 17 doesn't enter the frame until long after the damage is done. 

*To my eye, only 3 and 27 have reason to be there.

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Our spectacular in-zone defensive play Saturday night made #5 on NCHC's Plays of the Week ... for Isaac Howard. 

But now I have the video on who was out there: 3, 25, 27, and 9 all below the goal line*, and 17 doesn't enter the frame until long after the damage is done. 

*To my eye, only 3 and 27 have reason to be there.

On whom do you place the blame on this play?  If you are a bantam coach, what is explained to the players as to what they did wrong?

7 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

On whom do you place the blame on this play?  If you are a bantam coach, what is explained to the players as to what they did wrong?

Farmer goes in and pins the Umd player....Kleven follow in behind and digs out the puck. V stops out front. 

Biggest mistake was Kleven going to the right.... instead of trailing the play.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

My coaches taught:

If there's one attacker "below" you and D partner, and your D partner has them, the net front is your responsibility, and even more so if the play behind the net is going toward your corner* (which it was if you were 25). Why? The rest of play is moving in toward you from behind (trailers). Notice the direction Howard showed up: behind where 25 should've been. And notice a second 'dog behind Howard; mentioning him ... 

The forward play? We were taught if the center is in zone the forwards stay no deeper than the bottom of the circles, preferably covering up direct passes to the points. The center goes below the goal line if he's in zone. Notice 9: the D on his side was uncovered and had crept down and was ten feet behind Howard. (EDIT: It wasn't the D, it was a forward, Spicer.) 

3 lost his man and allowed a reverse in direction; 25 left the front; 27 after the reverse went to the puck leaving an open slot as 25 just left; 9 was just out of position (and with more experience may have recognized the uncovered slot).

Each of 25, 27, or 9 barely twitched a head to see what was coming in behind them; all were locked onto the hypnotic puck. 

*The exception to that was if your center was in the slot and called you to retrieve. Then you could leave the front. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My coaches taught:

If there's one attacker "below" you and D partner, and your D partner has them, the net front is your responsibility, and even more so if the play behind the net is going toward your corner* (which it was if you were 25). Why? The rest of play is moving in toward you from behind (trailers). Notice the direction Howard showed up: behind where 25 should've been. And notice a second 'dog behind Howard; mentioning him ... 

The forward play? We were taught if the center is in zone the forwards stay no deeper than the bottom of the circles, preferably covering up direct passes to the points. The center goes below the goal line if he's in zone. Notice 9: the D on his side was uncovered and had crept down and was ten feet behind Howard. (EDIT: It wasn't the D, it was a forward, Spicer.) 

3 lost his man and allowed a reverse in direction; 25 left the front; 27 after the reverse went to the puck leaving an open slot as 25 just left; 9 was just out of position (and with more experience may have recognized the uncovered slot).

Each of 25, 27, or 9 barely twitched a head to see what was coming in behind them; all were locked onto the hypnotic puck. 

*The exception to that was if your center was in the slot and called you to retrieve. Then you could leave the front. 

I never played hockey beyond being one of a few neighborhood kids clearing a spot on a slough so we could slap the puck around on a Saturday afternoon, so, thank you for this! I'd be thrilled if we could see a lot more of this type of content around here, and a lot less :angry:

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

My biggest culprit in this play is Farmer.  Yes, Kleven in the wrong as well, but STOPS AND STARTS #3.

After that we could have been saved by 9 or 27, both whom decided to be transitioning away from our net while getting their sticks in the passing lane.  

So like 4 guys all share some for sure.