SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night with Duluth-Spicer's Revenge???

Wilbur

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

What adds insult to injury is Berry w/ his roster moves last offseason went all in on this team. Would love Spicer / a few freshman blue liners this year. What an absolute disaster on every level. 

It does suck, for sure, but if he hadn't done everything he could to try to win this year, don't you think people would be on here complaining about that?  "Could have loaded up and gunned for a title, but played it safe."

The Spicer thing has been beat to death, but seeing how good Strinden is, I get it now.  As for the D, I don't think it was a master plan to not bring anyone in, I think their pipeline stagnated.  That's no one's fault but theirs, but it wasn't like they deferred someone who was ready. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2023 at 7:39 PM, MafiaMan said:

Yep, 6 weeks left.  

UMD - likely a split.  

At Miami?  Probably a split.  

The Huskies?  Swept at home.  

Two at Denver, guaranteed losses.  And ugly ones.  

At CC - maybe a split. 

Omaha at home…split.  

Welp, called that one.  UND setting up to get run out of the building by St Cloud State and Denver.  

3 minutes ago, jk said:

It does suck, for sure, but if he hadn't done everything he could to try to win this year, don't you think people would be on here complaining about that?  "Could have loaded up and gunned for a title, but played it safe."

The Spicer thing has been beat to death, but seeing how good Strinden is, I get it now.  As for the D, I don't think it was a master plan to not bring anyone in, I think their pipeline stagnated.  That's no one's fault but theirs, but it wasn't like they deferred someone who was ready. 

I think Abram Wiebe was the guy they would have brought in if they had to, but I know Schlossman has said on his podcast that he probably would have struggled if he came in this year. 

32 minutes ago, brucespook said:

They won’t be there again.   No chance this team makes the tournament 

So, if that is the case, that would make three of the last four times UND hosted regionals that they didn’t make.  That along with the destination game duds, and Berry isn’t giving the fan base much reason to want to book in advance. If he preaches culture again when he has said we need to start on time for the hundredth time, I hope the media point that out to him. Again, we start playing when we want, even when we are supposed to be in desperation mode.  We have multiple ex UND players in town that could coach our culture as good if not better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

They see Spicer good enough to go directly to UMD.  Why would UMD coach feel Spicer was ready?  Must be a novice coach.

Was Spicer ready though?  UMD needed a forward, as they lost a ton of forwards last offseason. 
We already had four freshman forwards that were more ready to come in than Spicer.
If we had brought Spicer in this year just so we didn't lose him, he would be sitting more often than not...then he just would have entered the portal after this season anyway.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

DeRidder made some solid saves but the game winner is part of why I can't stand him. He his always flopping/diving around out of control and has no idea where he is in the net, if he is in control and stays positionally sound that puck hits him easily on the game winner. The other part is he has absolutely no idea where the puck is going when it hits him, without a doubt among the worst rebound control I've ever seen from a college goaltender.

Given that we were/are dead last in nation in save %, I'll take flopping/diving that results in only 2 goals against.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

So, if that is the case, that would make three of the last four times UND hosted regionals that they didn’t make.  That along with the destination game duds, and Berry isn’t giving the fan base much reason to want to book in advance. If he preaches culture again when he has said we need to start on time for the hundredth time, I hope the media point that out to him. Again, we start playing when we want, even when we are supposed to be in desperation mode.  We have multiple ex UND players in town that could coach our culture as good if not better.

The destination game duds are the least of my concerns…this team has a lot bigger problems coming up this season, namely St Cloud State and Denver.  Neither of those teams are going to hesitate in embarrassing UND on the ice.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, brucespook said:

Try to beat someone 10-9.  Yhis pretending to play defense is horrible yo watch.  Might as well try to score 

But we can’t win without power play goals.  Reminds me a lot of old gopher hockey teams that didn’t play with grit but won when their power play was effective. Five on five tells you what kind of team you have, and we are too soft to win without our pp scoring a couple times a game, and even then … well, you saw the debacle against Western.  I would love to see the team come together to prove us message board warriors wrong, but that would require them playing “a full 60”, and that is just asking too much.

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The destination game duds are the least of my concerns…this team has a lot bigger problems coming up this season, namely St Cloud State and Denver.  Neither of those teams are going to hesitate in embarrassing UND on the ice.  

So we get murdered on our home ice by the Red Head, and blown out in Stearns County and you don't think our culture will get us back over the hump? 

If you're selling your Nodak jerseys and Fargo tickets I'll buy them. 

41 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Way too much east west hockey and over passing

Exactly, but that would mean going to the hard areas, and that apparently isn’t our thing anymore.  Give me a Brandon Bochenski who would shoot from anywhere, anytime.

14 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'll one up you and say they go 4-6 to finish the NCHC regular season.
We'll see.

I’m guessing you’re with me in 0-4 against St Cloud and Denver…you’ve got them seeping one of the other three opponents?  Interesting. 

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

I don’t have either in my possession but would imagine we’ll be seeing a fire sale on regional tickets coming up soon!

I'm pretty excited to pay 5 bucks to watch 4 good teams battle.  Should be fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm pretty excited to pay 5 bucks to watch 4 good teams battle.  Should be fun.

Unfortunately, picking someone to cheer for other than UND has become something UND fans have had to deal with in regionals and Frozen Fours way too often lately.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’ve got UND winning 3 games the rest of the way.  

@ Miami...Split (1)

@ Denver...swept

SCSU....swept

@ CC....split (2)

Omaha....split (3)

Yup, you're right.  Book your tickets to Denver. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

@ Miami...Split (1)

@ Denver...swept

SCSU....swept

@ CC....split (2)

Omaha....split (3)

Yup, you're right.  Book your tickets to Denver. 

Don’t post that over in the ATFS group on Facebook.  Those folks think the second half surge starts next Friday!

So - it's come down to this - We have the best facilities, the best attendance and a fan base that travels like no other, destination games, 8 Nattys, and a proven system of developing NHL talent and we are anticipating an ass-kicking from St. Cloud?  After watching tonight's game something is seriously wrong with our program - and nothing is changing especially our play.  Time to clean house?  Sadly Chaves likes to renew 5-6 coaches.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Consummate jock sniffer Ken Landau, the voice of the CC Tigers, took great pleasure in repeating that UND sits in 7th place. I’m a CC fan but c’mon Ken, no need to be so petty. 

I'd say hate us cuzz they ain't us, but the way we are playing this season nobody wants to be us.