SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

This isn’t rocket science. Most professionals know what they’re worth, including those in the coaching profession. You get what you pay for. UND spends embarrassingly low amounts on basketball, improving amounts for football, and vast majority towards hockey, as we know. 

UND tried to circumvent the minimal spending issue by hiring from local DII - didn’t work, obviously, at least this time around. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND spends embarrassingly low amounts on basketball, improving amounts for football, and vast majority towards hockey, as we know. 

UND tried to circumvent the minimal spending issue by hiring from local DII - didn’t work, obviously, at least this time around. 

I've heard from sources that UND lost a TON of money having the women's hockey program which they are still trying to recover from. From the sounds of it might be out of the massive hole in a few more years which I would imagine trickling down to help spending on other programs i.e football and basketball. 

I wouldnt mind Boschee.  He is local and has Kansas connections.  He is young and could probably relate more with the players.   Unless a more experienced coach applies, I say give him a shot.    This is all for nothing if Chaves goes and extends Sather at the end of the year.  

• Upvote 1

Here are where Sather's recruits have ended up in the transfer portal. I don't believe other D1s are necessarily lining up to poach our talent

Carlos Ramsey - d2 Hawai'i at Hilo

Gertautas Urbonavicius - d2 UMary

Seybian Sims - d2 Arkansas Tech

Andrew Bergan - d2 Northern State

Tyree Ihenacho - d1 JMU

Nate Shockey - d2 Quincy University 

Gavin McGrath - not playing basketball? 

Paul Bruns - d1 USD

Brendan Howard - NAIA University of Providence 

I think the current roster has a number of guys who would be better suited playing d2 level ball. 

Overall I do not think the x & o's have been good under Sather and i think the level of talent brought in has been well below what's needed to compete at the upper end of the conference.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

If you are referencing the Bio on the UND website, the "40 under 40" is Shantay Legans not Steven Aldridge...

My wish list would be the following: Kevin Kruger, Joe Krabbenhoft, Kyan Brown, and Billy Brown (nostalgia)

Wow... I read that completely wrong!!! Either way, he seems like he knows basketball and that the players like him

3 hours ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

I've heard from sources that UND lost a TON of money having the women's hockey program which they are still trying to recover from. From the sounds of it might be out of the massive hole in a few more years which I would imagine trickling down to help spending on other programs i.e football and basketball. 

My memory from when it was cut that women's hockey lost just over $2M per year. 

20 minutes ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

I heard around the $3M per year range...

Don’t tell that to the ladies who filed law suits against UND, they won’t want to hear this , life’s not fair.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Here are where Sather's recruits have ended up in the transfer portal. I don't believe other D1s are necessarily lining up to poach our talent

Carlos Ramsey - d2 Hawai'i at Hilo

Gertautas Urbonavicius - d2 UMary

Seybian Sims - d2 Arkansas Tech

Andrew Bergan - d2 Northern State

Tyree Ihenacho - d1 JMU

Nate Shockey - d2 Quincy University 

Gavin McGrath - not playing basketball? 

Paul Bruns - d1 USD

Brendan Howard - NAIA University of Providence 

I think the current roster has a number of guys who would be better suited playing d2 level ball. 

Overall I do not think the x & o's have been good under Sather and i think the level of talent brought in has been well below what's needed to compete at the upper end of the conference.

To be fair, Sims transferred to NKU first, then went to a D2.

He and Ihenacho never should have left. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

To be fair, Sims transferred to NKU first, then went to a D2.

He and Ihenacho never should have left. 

But never played much at NKU and then went to D2...  where he probably deserves to play.  This is just stating Sather recruits D2 players.   yes both players should have stayed at UND where we have a coach that likes D2 players.  

I actually think Sather's scheme and coaching is better than Jones was.  He just doesn't get the same talent that Jones did, and the high talent that he has had on the roster he hasn't been able to keep.

I think those teams in the Great West and early Big Sky years (Huff, Webb, Anderson, Hooker) would have been outstanding if they would have had a competent "in-game" coach.  Jones just threw great talent on the floor, told them to play one-on-one and hoped for the best.

38 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I actually think Sather's scheme and coaching is better than Jones was.  He just doesn't get the same talent that Jones did, and the high talent that he has had on the roster he hasn't been able to keep.

I think those teams in the Great West and early Big Sky years (Huff, Webb, Anderson, Hooker) would have been outstanding if they would have had a competent "in-game" coach.  Jones just threw great talent on the floor, told them to play one-on-one and hoped for the best.

And stomped his feet a lot

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I agree with this. I have wondered the last few games what the heck is Sather scheming up but in the past it seemed pretty good. 

I think Sather could be coaching to save his job and I wonder if that is why he has been fooling around with so many lineup changes. Everyone one around here is so critical of Jones as coach but most of you kind of forget kind of talent he brought in here and we did play post season several years in a row. I also think to be fair with him he was asked to run program on shoestring budget where it was difficult to retain top quality coaches to help in running the program and to retain these coaches to develop consistent philosophy of style. But as head coach he was able to recruit and retain top players even after he left number of those players stayed and had good years here at UND. Jones wasn't perfect but remember being head coach at small mid major like UND is lot harder than you think with budgets they operate under and getting and finding good talent to come here were not there first or second choice for kids out this area that want to come too!                                                                                         Sather has shown he can be good x and o's coach but this year when we are basically playing four freshmen large minutes this not x and o's team this would be JV team of the past teaching them how to play the college game. HIs problem is finding kids with talent to come here and play here and i fear that he and his assistant coaches have been looking for players that want to come play type of game he wants but these are kids that are borderline between DI and DII. This was Jones strength he found DI kids with great upside, but he had to live with them not playing always style he wanted to play but he had to adapt figure how harness that talent into winning team. Sather when he finds these players it's hard for him to either play them or he wants to change them with how college basketball is today kids move on if they don't feel like this how they want to play.

Getting back to Sather job i have to believe AD is hoping he can turn this team around by end of year and he can extend his contract for couple years to see how this class of recruits' fairs. If he fires Sather he will be looking for coach and that coach will be looking at starting from scratch because majority of these recruits would look elsewhere. Second, it's going to cost him alot more to find new coach because i believe were probably 50,000 To 100,000 off what other coaches are making now at mid major and to start rebuilding the program, you're not going to get alot applicants unless pay is higher and longer-term contract. If you go like some of you say, go with unproven younger talent and if that fails it could mean he could lose his job.  This season is going to determine the future of number of people in this program if everyone believes we have lost faith in the coach.  I wonder if that is case because there is large silent majority out there that haven't made up their minds. We will see.

The good thing about college basketball in todays time is that it doesn’t necessarily take 3 or 4 years to rebuild. Look at what Tim Miles is doing at San Jose State in year 2, they have never been good (like seriously bad), and lack facilities. 

Obviously coaching in Grand Forks, North Dakota is a different animal, but starting from scratch isn’t as big of a problem as it used to be.

22 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I think Sather could be coaching to save his job and I wonder if that is why he has been fooling around with so many lineup changes. Everyone one around here is so critical of Jones as coach but most of you kind of forget kind of talent he brought in here and we did play post season several years in a row. I also think to be fair with him he was asked to run program on shoestring budget where it was difficult to retain top quality coaches to help in running the program and to retain these coaches to develop consistent philosophy of style. But as head coach he was able to recruit and retain top players even after he left number of those players stayed and had good years here at UND. Jones wasn't perfect but remember being head coach at small mid major like UND is lot harder than you think with budgets they operate under and getting and finding good talent to come here were not there first or second choice for kids out this area that want to come too!                                                                                         

Sather has also been able to recruit some high end talent. Yeah he hasn’t retained it and I guess Jones did but that was an entirely different world of college basketball where if you wanted to transfer you had to sit out a year unless you got a waiver. So I would consider that comparison apples to oranges. 

On the budget piece, Sather is also dealing with a real tight budget so dealt the same hand there. 

Sather has typically proven to be the better X’s and O’s coach compared to Jones. This last game was really fricken weird. No idea what was going on there but it’s not a good sign. 

Having said all of that, no matter if you feel Jones is a better coach than Sather or vice versa I think that’s besides the point. We should strive for better than Jones and certainly better than what Sather has shown his first few years. We can have a winning program in Grand Forks, we shouldn’t settle to be the bottom of the conference year in and year out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would agree with you but now show me how many schools at the mid-major program field winning programs across number of sports and that's the reality of it being at the division I level unless your one big schools in division I sports. Hockey is the number one sport at UND, and it gobbles up majority of resources for that program, then we have football that is number two sport which is not fully funded but requires large portion of resources here at UND. Then we come to Basketball resources are split between men's and women's doesn't have the following that basketball has in many other schools because of popularity of hockey here at UND. Even with that we are better at drawing then number of the other schools in our conference. The problem is Basketball is competing for advertising dollars and donor sport at same time hockey is in small market. I am not picking on hockey but pointing out that UND is unique in this and only other team in conference that has that situation is ST. Thomas and they are only making shift now we will see how they make the transition. They have big advantage in that they are in much larger market.  But getting back to UND how do think administration should respond to this for the athletic program to fund these various sports to where we are competitive. I have some ideas, but it would be interesting to hear from people complaining about what's wrong but also how they would correct this and where the resources are to come from. The one thing i have thought even since we jumped to division I, the major reasons many schools wanted to compete at division I level sport was they had one sport they wanted to move up in but rule if you moved up then you moved all sports with exception of hockey. I wondered why NCAA didn't allow that for other sports as well and if you moved up then you had to provide enough resources to where you were equal to other schools already at division I. I would bet there would have been majority of the schools would have kept their status at division II in upper midwest  with exception of moving football up and some of the Basketball only schools would have moved up for basketball. This is why see problems the NCAA has now, and big schools are looking to cut other smaller schools out selling themselves outside of the NCAA cutting off sharing this money with the smaller schools.

On 1/2/2023 at 3:27 PM, Kab said:

Don’t tell that to the ladies who filed law suits against UND, they won’t want to hear this , life’s not fair.

Did they recoup anything with the Olympic t-shirt sales??

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Sather has also been able to recruit some high end talent. Yeah he hasn’t retained it and I guess Jones did but that was an entirely different world of college basketball where if you wanted to transfer you had to sit out a year unless you got a waiver. So I would consider that comparison apples to oranges. 

On the budget piece, Sather is also dealing with a real tight budget so dealt the same hand there. 

Sather has typically proven to be the better X’s and O’s coach compared to Jones. This last game was really fricken weird. No idea what was going on there but it’s not a good sign. 

Having said all of that, no matter if you feel Jones is a better coach than Sather or vice versa I think that’s besides the point. We should strive for better than Jones and certainly better than what Sather has shown his first few years. We can have a winning program in Grand Forks, we shouldn’t settle to be the bottom of the conference year in and year out. 

Since when has Sather been able to recruit high end talent?? Other than this year, his other 3 years have been far from high end talent! Also, since when have his X's and O's been good?? We must have been watching different basketball teams the last 3.5 years because he has been a very very below average X's and O's coach with a significantly outdated philosophy on basketball.

Sather has shown us over the last 3.5 years that he is not a D1 level coach. Sometimes the truth hurts but that is just the truth. It is time to move on from the Sather era and start being better than a bottom 10 worst D1 basketball team in the country!