SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

1 minute ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Since when has Sather been able to recruit high end talent?? Other than this year, his other 3 years have been far from high end talent! Also, since when have his X's and O's been good?? We must have been watching different basketball teams the last 3.5 years because he has been a very very below average X's and O's coach with a significantly outdated philosophy on basketball.

Sather has shown us over the last 3.5 years that he is not a D1 level coach. Sometimes the truth hurts but that is just the truth. It is time to move on from the Sather era and start being better than a bottom 10 worst D1 basketball team in the country!

I guess I would consider Ihenacho, Paul Bruns and Omot all high end talent. Brooks and Eaglestaff are also fairly talented. On the X’s and O’s part I’m comparing him solely to Brian Jones. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sioux24/7 said:

I guess I would consider Ihenacho, Paul Bruns and Omot all high end talent. Brooks and Eaglestaff are also fairly talented. On the X’s and O’s part I’m comparing him solely to Brian Jones. 

Omot, yes. The other two are good players but I wouldn't consider them high level talent. The only reason either of them had good freshman years is because UND was one of the worst teams in the nation and they could do whatever they wanted and had nothing to lose.

11 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Omot, yes. The other two are good players but I wouldn't consider them high level talent. The only reason either of them had good freshman years is because UND was one of the worst teams in the nation and they could do whatever they wanted and had nothing to lose.

Talented enough that other schools want them.

We get it. You think it is time to move on. Others don't agree, quite yet at least.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Talented enough that other schools want them.

We get it. You think it is time to move on. Others don't agree, quite yet at least.

Just because other schools want them after their freshman year doesn't mean they were high level talent coming out of high school...... I'm afraid that's not how that works. 

And that is why UND will always be extremely average to below average in *most* sports. No accountability whatsoever. From the fans, from the AD, from anyone. People are just willing to sit here after 3.5 years and a 33% win rate saying "Let's give him some more time to rebuild and see if he can figure it out". He has done nothing but turn UND into a D2 program and a basketball program that NOBODY RESPECTS. It's a joke really. There are plenty of other young coaches out there that could turn this program around. Sather has shown he isn't the man for this job. That's fine though, sometimes things don't work out how you would like them to.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Just because other schools want them after their freshman year doesn't mean they were high level talent coming out of high school...... I'm afraid that's not how that works. 

And that is why UND will always be extremely average to below average in *most* sports. No accountability whatsoever. From the fans, from the AD, from anyone. People are just willing to sit here after 3.5 years and a 33% win rate saying "Let's give him some more time to rebuild and see if he can figure it out". He has done nothing but turn UND into a D2 program and a basketball program that NOBODY RESPECTS. It's a joke really. There are plenty of other young coaches out there that could turn this program around. Sather has shown he isn't the man for this job. That's fine though, sometimes things don't work out how you would like them to.

I mean, if they weren't high level talent coming out of high school, then the coach did a helluva job coaching them up in less than a year. Or hear me out, the coach has an eye for finding some talented players that are overlooked by others?

Firing people and/or calling for heads =/= accountability. In fact, I'd argue all that does is put a program/athletic department in debt and gives prospective coaches a lot of hesitation on taking the job. And there are zero guarantees on how someone new would perform. Could be better, worse or the same. 

To be clear, under normal circumstances, I'd probably agree given the results. However between Covid, changes in the transfer portal and a very unlucky visa requirement, it has been far from that. I'm not quite there yet. That's fine if you are, but we're just going to have different opinions on it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, if they weren't high level talent coming out of high school, then the coach did a helluva job coaching them up in less than a year. Or hear me out, the coach has an eye for finding some talented players that are overlooked by others?

Firing people and/or calling for heads =/= accountability. In fact, I'd argue all that does is put a program/athletic department in debt and gives prospective coaches a lot of hesitation on taking the job. And there are zero guarantees on how someone new would perform. Could be better, worse or the same. 

To be clear, under normal circumstances, I'd probably agree given the results. However between Covid, changes in the transfer portal and a very unlucky visa requirement, it has been far from that. I'm not quite there yet. That's fine if you are, but we're just going to have different opinions on it. 

Or they played for a bottom 10 team in the nation... we are going to have to respectfully disagree completely on this then. Everything you listed is something that every single college basketball coach has had to deal with over the last 3-4 years. Others have dealt with those challenges differently and have been successful. Sather shouldn't get a pass for it all just because he's a 'nice guy'.....

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

You clearly have some bias here. I’ve seen you mention that you were a former college coach. I know a few college coaches and I can’t think of one that would go on a fan forum and criticize/mock a peer. 

And in full disclosure, Paul Sather is one of the coaches I know.   A good man and despite current challenges, a good coach. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

I think we all know how this year is going to turn out. This roster is too limited to win a Summit title, IMO.  But they can win some games.  

Are next years recruits any better than the guys we got now?  Any insight would be appreciated

Unfotunately, the bar is set so low now that finishing in the top 5 would be a success for this program.  

Good interview on midco with coach herbst

he has a passion for Und 

he said he would put the gloves on and go against anyone, I’m thinking he has coach sathers back , that’s what you need in an assistant 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I think we all know how this year is going to turn out. This roster is too limited to win a Summit title, IMO.  But they can win some games.  

Are next years recruits any better than the guys we got now?  Any insight would be appreciated

Can only speak on the two North Dakota kids we signed, I would say neither is on the level Eaglestaff was last year playing high school ball. Don’t want to bash on kids still in high school but would be shocked if either made a huge impact next year. If they do, they would have taken a huge step forward over the summer or our roster would be have to be in a worse spot than it is now. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Or they played for a bottom 10 team in the nation... 

Yet other schools, who are currently better than UND, saw enough in them to want them? So either they were talented before they got here (meaning they are recruiting talented players) or they were coached up pretty significantly in their short time here.

Ihenacho heard from James Madison, Ball State, Florida International, Colgate, St John’s, Montana, Pacific, Drake, UNI, SIU, UNLV & Western Michigan. Probably safe to say he wasn't offered a spot at all of them, but there was at least some interest.

No clue who else Bruns heard from because USD was in his ear so early that his mind was made up before anyone knew he might leave.

11 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

You clearly have some bias here. I’ve seen you mention that you were a former college coach. I know a few college coaches and I can’t think of one that would go on a fan forum and criticize/mock a peer. 

And in full disclosure, Paul Sather is one of the coaches I know.   A good man and despite current challenges, a good coach. 

I played a full career of college basketball for a very successful program. I know what it takes to win.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I played a full career of college basketball for a very successful program. I know what it takes to win.

Coach Sather has been a player on a National Championship runner up team, a coach of a National Championship runner up team... does he know what it takes to win?

5 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Coach Sather has been a player on a National Championship runner up team, a coach of a National Championship runner up team... does he know what it takes to win?

Any of those at the D1 level?? My main point has always been that he can't coach and recruit at the D1 level. Which so far through 3.5 years he has proved that he can't. Never once said he can't coach a D2 team and be successful.

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Others have dealt with those challenges differently and have been successful. 

How many other coaches lost their best player, an all-conference candidate, because they were forced to transfer in order stay in the country and not go back to Serbia due to visa issues?

I don't think anyone is arguing with you on where UND is in the current pecking order, which is exactly why they are losing more than they are currently gaining out of the portal. Again, not exactly the same "challenges".

Feel very confident both the last two seasons would have been significantly different if Rebraca wasn't forced to transfer. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Yet other schools, who are currently better than UND, saw enough in them to want them? So either they were talented before they got here (meaning they are recruiting talented players) or they were coached up pretty significantly in their short time here.

Ihenacho heard from James Madison, Ball State, Florida International, Colgate, St John’s, Montana, Pacific, Drake, UNI, SIU, UNLV & Western Michigan. Probably safe to say he wasn't offered a spot at all of them, but there was at least some interest.

No clue who else Bruns heard from because USD was in his ear so early that his mind was made up before anyone knew he might leave.

And yet as a Junior he is playing less minutes and scoring less then he did as a true freshman at UND?  Sounds more like he was with a bad team at UND that played him a ton of minutes.   Now playing for a good team and not having the same stats as a junior. 

• Upvote 1

I do think the portal argument that Sather has been hurt by it needs to stop. If players truly enjoyed playing for him then they wouldn't necessarily leave, unless its a situation like Bruns (going back home), Scheierman (bettering his position), and Griesel (going home & bettering his position). Not to mention every single coach in the Summit League deals with it. Some of my biggest frustrations are the fact that he has not elevated his players. T looks like a complete shell of himself since the beginning of the year, Trent can't get the grades / discipline down to play, Norman looked like our best shooter and now doesn't play much? Sather's offense of game plan or X's / O's do not look great. We are half way through the year & he still hasn't figured out a rotation or a consistent starting lineup!! I don't blame the players for being frustrated or not being able to play on a high level when they don't know when or if they will play each game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1