SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

45 minutes ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

This team is so clearly better without sather it hurts to watch

Exactly! We have the players to be a middle of the pack Summit league team this year. The players are there. But the coach is absolutely atrocious and holding everything back. I really just don’t get how you can be so bad of a coach. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve wanted to wait on this topic for a bit but yesterday has me damn near ready. My unrealistic top choice is Ben McCollum, I’ve said that over and over. Other than that, I’m looking at Kyan Brown, Gameli Ahelegbe, Jeff Boschee, Saul Phillips. Three D2 guys and 2 D1 mid-major assistants. I would love to go pluck a rising D1 assistant but a) I don’t know who those are and b) the financial aspect. 

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If anything, he'll get a multi-year extension in the name of "stability".

UND treats its “division one” athletic programs like those of a middle school  - everyone gets a participation ribbon and a pat on the back. Why would you ever want to hold the players and coaches to a high standard? I suppose because it might cost a few $$ and could hurt some feelings …

Could just as well still be division II at this rate … extending losing coaches and being about as stagnant as possible during an otherwise typical cold slow winter in North Dakota. UND athletics has an opportunity to ignite interest and following during the dead of winter, but instead drops the ball on a consistent basis. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND treats its “division one” athletic programs like those of a middle school  - everyone gets a participation ribbon and a pat on the back. Why would you ever want to hold the players and coaches to a high standard? I suppose because it might cost a few $$ and could hurt some feelings …

Could just as well still be division II at this rate … extending losing coaches and being about as stagnant as possible during an otherwise typical cold slow winter in North Dakota. UND athletics has an opportunity to ignite interest and following during the dead of winter, but instead drops the ball on a consistent basis. 

WBB looks to be heading in the right direction.  So there's some hope there. 

• Upvote 3

What are people’s thoughts on Steven Aldridge? From watching him interact with players before the game and during the game it seems like they really respect him and will listen to him. He was listed 11th on an ESPN “40 under 40” list of top coaches under 40. Young guy and seems like he really knows basketball. 

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

What are people’s thoughts on Steven Aldridge? From watching him interact with players before the game and during the game it seems like they really respect him and will listen to him. He was listed 11th on an ESPN “40 under 40” list of top coaches under 40. Young guy and seems like he really knows basketball. 

My opinion would stay away from anyone on this staff. Let's get someone fresh. New start for the program.  He could remain on as a assistant coach especially if he has a good relationship with our star players 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

My opinion would stay away from anyone on this staff. Let's get someone fresh. New start for the program.  He could remain on as a assistant coach especially if he has a good relationship with our star players 

Good point! 

On 12/31/2022 at 3:58 PM, HoopsFan03 said:

If you are referencing the Bio on the UND website, the "40 under 40" is Shantay Legans not Steven Aldridge...

My wish list would be the following: Kevin Kruger, Joe Krabbenhoft, Kyan Brown, and Billy Brown (nostalgia)

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

If you are referencing the Bio on the UND website, the "40 under 40" is Shantay Legans not Steven Aldridge...

My wish list would be the following: Kevin Kruger, Joe Krabbenhoft, Kyan Brown, and Billy Brown (nostalgia)

You have one legitimate candidate in Kyan Brown. What a ludicrous list. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

It's hard to believe that Sather has been able to take this program to a lower point than Brian Jones did.  

It’s is possible - crazy, I know - that both Jones and Sather were/are not good coaches for UND. With that said, Jones at least had connections in Iowa for some talent. Sather has shown that his coaching and recruiting connections are both subpar.