SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ SCSU: the Saturday edition

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, MinnesotaSiouxFan said:

The reality is that our favorite team is not very good.  Rumors from inside is that there’s a lot of trouble from the top.  Changes may be necessary.  Wish it were different.

Turmoil at top usually manifests itself in a coaching change. Or something like that.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/same-issues-arise-for-und-as-it-collapses-in-third-period

UND now ranks 49th of 61 teams nationally in goals allowed per game at 3.4. It ranks dead last in save percentage at .861 — a good margin behind No. 60 Yale, which is at .869.

"This weekend, we didn't help out our goalies that much," said UND defenseman Chris Jandric, who had a pair of assists. "It was tough to leave them hanging there. There's just so much positive we have that it's tough we're not getting rewarded. I think you have to look at some of the positives and clean up some of the mistakes we had, because we did let up 13 goals this weekend. We do have to clean that up a bit."

I wonder what he's talking about for the positives?

As UND searches for answers defensively, Berry didn't rule out the possibility of third-string goalie Kaleb Johnson, a Grand Forks native who has yet to play in a regular season game, getting some action.

"I think he's a guy who has earned a lot through his practices here," Berry said. "We're going to go through the week of practice here and everything's on the table. But at the end of the day, we're confident in the goaltenders we have. We just haven't been playing sound enough around them consistently, and in saying that, maybe they have to be a little better, too.

The Fighting Hawks are 6-8-3 overall. In eight of the 11 games UND did not win, it led or was tied in the third. It has blown a two-goal lead four times this season.

This was the first time it blew a 3-0 lead and lost since Feb. 23, 2018, at Miami.

UND has outscored its opponents 20-11 in the first period and 27-24 in the second period this season. It has been outscored 22-12 in the third.

This might come back to the conditioning that others have mentioned.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/same-issues-arise-for-und-as-it-collapses-in-third-period

I wonder what he's talking about for the positives?

This might come back to the conditioning that others have mentioned.

“…it’s tough that we’re not getting rewarded.”  

This team has given up MULTIPLE goals allowed in a row several times this season — like 3 or more — what, 5 or 6 times now?  Quinnipiac twice, Miami once, Minnesota once, and St Cloud twice — and that’s just off the top of my head.  

I’m not sure what the “rewards” should be for back-to-back games of giving up SIX goals in a row should be, but in my book, W’s aren’t handed out for that kind of porous play.  

• Upvote 3

Follow-up to that:

Quinnipiac Friday:  3 

Quinnipiac Saturday:  5

Arizona State Saturday:  3

Denver Saturday:  3 

Miami Saturday:  3 

St. Cloud Friday:  6 

St. Cloud Saturday:  6 

So I was wrong about Minnesota but missed Arizona State and Denver.  

I’ve honestly never seen anything like this in 30+ years of watching North Dakota hockey.  That stat is simply brutal. 

• Upvote 4

Pathetic...not much else to say.  Hopefully fans wont mock them for being JBSU anymore as of now they have way better players and are faster than UND.  6 straight goals against two nights in a row .  What are the odds of that.  Damn near impossible.  Wow! Feel bad for the Sioux fans who spent their hard earned money and had to watch that crap.  6 STRAIGHT goals against two nights in a ROW.  PATHETIC

• Upvote 1

But the effort, but the alternate Jersey , but the culture. Not sure why this is happening but something has to change because whatever Berry and his staff are preaching it’s not taken serious by his players, no hustle on pucks, poor coverage and the condtioning seems to be lacking in this group. The leaders on this team know what  it takes to compete but are they living that or just going through the motions. 

• Like 1

On tidbit that was overlooked after the game that was caught on the SCSU TV broadcast one of the young female rink side reporters caught up to BB and asked him point blank about his daughter having the NODAK TM then giving it away when once all of it came to light publicly. His response.......

schults-knows-nothing.gif

• Upvote 3

So UND, after last night, is currently dead last...LAST...in the country in save %. I'm not good at math or xG analytics and I know most nights UND plays 17 forwards cause 4 or 5 Dman won't play any defense but I'm smart enough to know that last isn’t good and there's only one direction to trend.

Granted I'm at almost all home games or watching on TV when I can't get to GF so I don't listen to TH a majority of the games but I have never heard him talk about UND's goaltending during a broadcast or post game (that I do listen to most of the time) like this past series. If he thinks it's an issue.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

On tidbit that was overlooked after the game that was caught on the SCSU TV broadcast one of the young female rink side reporters caught up to BB and asked him point blank about his daughter having the NODAK TM then giving it away when once all of it came to light publicly. His response.......

schults-knows-nothing.gif

The value of that trade mark probably isn’t real high after this skid. She would have had heavy amatorization I would imagine.

9 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Ya but it’s the manner of the way we’re losing. We have arguably the best D corps in college hockey but wtf happens in every game in the 3rd. Maybe we should bring in a tender at holiday break time.

We don’t have the best D corps in college hockey.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Its really easy to blame goalies and I’m definitely not saying they’re stealing games (plus save % is basically the primary goaltending stat). But, almost all these goals other teams are scoring are point blank, high % opportunities. There are some defensemen specific breakdowns but it’s on the F’s too. They are “team D” breakdowns.

It is a total team failure across the board. This team is starting to resemble the early 1990's at this point.

I am not being a Berry apologist,  there are definitely problems at the top but at the end of the day players need to make plays and these players obviously aren't.   It sure as hell can't be that Berry has forgotten how to coach D.  That has been his bread and butter for what 20 plus years.   He can coach then on what to do but again the players need to execute.  Seems like it might be a roster full of kids with learning disabilities  

5 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

I am not being a Berry apologist,  there are definitely problems at the top but at the end of the day players need to make plays and these players obviously aren't.   It sure as hell can't be that Berry has forgotten how to coach D.  That has been his bread and butter for what 20 plus years.   He can coach then on what to do but again the players need to execute.  Seems like it might be a roster full of kids with learning disabilities  

To your last statement.....who assembled this roster?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

59dba2e32da56_BillLumberghDisagreeWithYou.jpg.facb46f3a7f9d8dd1708f6566f0e7dd2.jpg

9 hours ago, MinnesotaSiouxFan said:

The reality is that our favorite team is not very good.  Rumors from inside is that there’s a lot of trouble from the top.  Changes may be necessary.  Wish it were different.

Then where is the AD in all this, being hockey is the biggest sport in his department you would think he would be involved. Berry so far is wash and repeat. What has Berry changed since the beginning of the season ? Poor discipline, the team seem to be gassed, out of condtion at the end of games and team defense is very poor. Has he benched any players for poor play or discipline not yet, has he changed his defense philosophy to take care of our own end first, nope. Coaches need to hold players accountable and Berry doesn’t seem to be that guy. 

• Like 1