SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ SCSU: the Saturday edition

The Sicatoka

4 minutes ago, mikejm said:

Time to go find a goaltender 

The funny thing is he actually made some huge saves, and I don't think he let in any softies.  I think he's just too small.  My kingdom for a large goalie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think the last playoff win was against american international.......if we played them tomorrow are we favored?

Are we favored against Lindenwood?

3 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

-Everybody loves you when you are winning.  -We are facing some adversity right now.

-Need to have a warrior mentality now and trust the man next to you and remember our culture.

-It’s a long season

It is a long season for sure.
But more than likely we're out of the playoffs already due to being one of the worst teams in the nation for defense and team save %.

4 minutes ago, jk said:

The funny thing is he actually made some huge saves, and I don't think he let in any softies.  I think he's just too small.  My kingdom for a large goalie.

He stopped all three breakaways.  And made some big saves when we were up 1-0 and 2-0.
Unfortunately once we hit the end of 2nd and all of the 3rd period, everybody on the team faltered, as has become the 22/23 team custom.

• Upvote 3

22 PWR on December 3 is not out of it.  Now if you're projecting that this play will continue all year, then I understand where you're coming from.  I've seen enough over the years to believe they can play better, but I recognize they need to be a lot better. 

• Upvote 1

Save percentage is linked to a goaltender, but its a team statistic.  If we give up 10 shots and they are all breakaways and our goalies stop 8 of 10 then they have a below average save percentage, but they were hung out to dry.

The way we are playing defensively has a direct link to our poor save percentage.  Goalies haven't been great at all, but what d man has been?  

And Kaleb Johnson is a practice goalie.  If he gets an NCHC start then things have gone really south in the Forks.  

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

All the people who were mad with Hakstol and said they would take 1 title and year of mediocrity got what they wanted.   

Oh how I remember these people spouting this!!!!  

19 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Are we at the point where even the puck bunnies are getting a little restless with this team?  

No, Draft picks get touched d,,&*ks.

What other options do they have?

Not like they're gunna be seen with undersized footballers who lost their jv playoff game.

Pilots? May be their time to shine...

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

7-9-2 at best heading into the break? Where would that put UND Pairwise? 20ish??

We already have 3 ties.  ;) 

I'd say 6-10-3 is more likely.  I'd be shocked if this team comes back from Kalamazoo with any points.
Four games below .500 is a huge hole to climb out of at the halfway point.  Especially since right after the Lindenwood series, we play a tough WMU team again.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jk said:

22 PWR on December 3 is not out of it.  Now if you're projecting that this play will continue all year, then I understand where you're coming from.  I've seen enough over the years to believe they can play better, but I recognize they need to be a lot better. 

Reasonable take. I’ve counted them out too early before, including last year, but they’re running out of runway with a plane full of women’s luggage. (No offense to any women lurking these forums). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

Reasonable take. I’ve counted them out too early before, including last year, but they’re running out of runway with a plane full of women’s luggage. (No offense to any women lurking these forums). 

I usually am optimistic about the team's chances, but this team has me much more pessimistic about their chances.
Last year this team was 13-6-0 at the winter break.  This team will more than likely be 3-4 games under .500 at the winter break and not showing any signs of being able to keep the puck out of our net.

• Upvote 1

For all of Berry's talk about "our culture" and recruiting "culture guys" I have never seen a team roll over and take it with a lead like we do.  Berry has lost control and doesn't know how to fix things.  And the recruiting - this goalie by portal thing makes no sense -and if we were good at it we would have St. Cloud's goalie.   We have Karl as a goalie coach and there is something seriously wrong with our program if we can't get a good frosh and develop him into a multi-year starter.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

All the people who were mad with Hakstol and said they would take 1 title and year of mediocrity got what they wanted.   

That is a false choice. People were just frustrated with the annual semifinal meltdowns. I don't think the people who made comments like that really meant it. The harsh fact is, nobody remembers teams who lose in the semifinals. Not saying it is a healthy perspective, but it is what it is.

As for the current dumpster fire this program has devolved into, I don't think anyone saw this coming. However, it absolutely needs to be fixed before we end up like Wisconsin.