SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Wait, you went from saying it was all Tommy to also blaming Bubba? Isn't that just reiterating my point that you can't blame losses 100% on a single person?

Designated leaders (HC, QB, etc.) set the culture for the entire program. You’re completely distorting what I “said” or what you think I’m getting at. 

Some “food for thought” way too early premature predictions:

after 4 weeks, if UND’s record is …

4-0 or 3-1 - gonna be a special year

2-2 - status quo, first round playoff exit… rinse and repeat … look forward to change, but won’t happen anytime soon

1-3 or 0-4 - time for change. Move on up Danny or find someone else. 

of the above, we all know what is most probable. Will something “unique” happen in 2023?

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

A very successful season can still be had with a 2-2 start. 

It’s fair, but you’re just trying to justify mediocrity. That’s nothing against you; the entire UND community is very good friends with mediocrity. A first round playoff exit isn’t a successful season if you want to be a champion. At UND, though, just being “ok” has too long been “ok”. If UND perpetually beats who they’re supposed to beat and loses against who they’re supposed to lose against, then they’ll never take the next step, despite 10 years of Bubba ball. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s fair, but you’re just trying to justify mediocrity. That’s nothing against you; the entire UND community is very good friends with mediocrity. A first round playoff exit isn’t a successful season if you want to be a champion. At UND, though, just being “ok” has too long been “ok”. If UND perpetually beats who they’re supposed to beat and loses against who they’re supposed to lose against, then they’ll never take the next step, despite 10 years of Bubba ball. 

Agree.  What happened to "The Monopoly is over".  #BubbaBall

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the true clock to determine success started ticking when UND to the MVFC was announced.  The Big Sky made recruiting very very hard for UND.  Bubba and staff are now building the team with recruits from the region that they wouldn’t have got before. I’m stoked for the season. #LGH 

18 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but It seems that you are of the opinion that those whose lives are stimulated more by things or people not related to success or failure of athletic teams and look to sports as entertainment are associated somehow with mediocrity. I would strongly disagree and the facts prove otherwise. 

Wrong. I’m hoping for internal improvement for UND football; what the fans/supporters think is really more of a dependent variable as opposed to being an independent factor in anything. As such, I don’t have a vendetta against fans/supporters who don’t expect great things - they’ve been conditioned to think that way based on recent results. I’ve never claimed that folks’ lives should be centered around the success and failure of athletic teams.  That’s a narrative and distraction tactic propagated by some - including yourself- to discredit my posts and thoughts. Such misdirection works superficially on here, sure, but it’s not correct (and that’s verifiable by anyone capable of producing their own independent thoughts / opinions). 

Now, the only separate piece to this would be greater expectations equals greater contribution by fans/supporters to the program, but I still think UND football internally needs to better generate those contributions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

UND-FB-FAN loves you guys. We hear about it everyday. Multiple times. Ad nauseum.

Not trying to pile on, should have made my point better.  Probably should have said..Who in the Athletic Dept thought that hiring a coach with a 500 winning percentage was the right guy to lead the program into the future?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Wrong. I’m hoping for internal improvement for UND football; what the fans/supporters think is really more of a dependent variable as opposed to being an independent factor in anything. As such, I don’t have a vendetta against fans/supporters who don’t expect great things - they’ve been conditioned to think that way based on recent results. I’ve never claimed that folks’ lives should be centered around the success and failure of athletic teams.  That’s a narrative and distraction tactic propagated by some - including yourself- to discredit my posts and thoughts. Such misdirection works superficially on here, sure, but it’s not correct (and that’s verifiable by anyone capable of producing their own independent thoughts / opinions). 

Now, the only separate piece to this would be greater expectations equals greater contribution by fans/supporters to the program, but I still think UND football internally needs to better generate those contributions.

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Good for you. Maybe we can expect you will no longer apply the recurring description of mediocrity to those who have a different opinion or even different expectations. 

I don’t want to distract anyone from what you post. There is nothing complicated about your posts and others can form their own opinions. Neither my opinions, nor your opinions will have any bearing on the success or failure of our teams. How we all form our opinions and expectations for our sports teams is multifaceted but it doesn’t really matter. I just happen to disagree with those who refer to others as being satisfied with mediocrity based on our opinions that we may post. 

Let’s get this conversation back on point: the 2023 season. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Und246 said:

It is totally unfair to predict success or failure on whether we beat SDSU or Boise State. It is fair to start evaluating the team though. The games after that will be the true determination. Everyone relax a little. 

I disagree. If UND doesn’t make noise against Boise or SDSU, then it’s the same ol’, same ol’ middle of the road Bubba ball. 

Again, if UND perpetually beats who they’re supposed to beat and loses against who they’re supposed to lose against, then UND FB will never take the next step, despite 10 years of Bubba ball. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I disagree. If UND doesn’t make noise against Boise or SDSU, then it’s the same ol’, same ol’ middle of the road Bubba ball. 

Again, if UND perpetually beats who they’re supposed to beat and loses against who they’re supposed to lose against, then UND FB will never take the next step, despite 10 years of Bubba ball. 

100%.....at what year of bubba ball should we expect to beat sdac and ndac in the same year? and not just beat em....beat em badly.

43 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Remember, NDSU used to lose almost every year to SDSU during the season and then come out blazing during the playoffs and beat them.   That was of course until last year.   A loss during the regular season can be overcome.

1 minute ago, Hawkster said:

Remember, NDSU used to lose almost every year to SDSU during the season and then come out blazing during the playoffs and beat them.   That was of course until last year.   A loss during the regular season can be overcome.

Yeah well you have to win in the playoffs in order to even advance and set up those repeat matchups …

UND hasn’t shown any ability yet to stand on even ground with the big dogs of the FCS. Hopefully 2023 is different …

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Ok, I’m out East, it’s raining, so I have time to waste. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but It seems that you are of the opinion that those whose lives are stimulated more by things or people not related to success or failure of athletic teams and look to sports as entertainment are associated somehow with mediocrity. I would strongly disagree and the facts prove otherwise. 
It is the abilities, work ethic, attitude, confidence, work ethic etc. of the players and staff that will determine the success or failure of our teams. Someone who hopes we beat Drake by only 2 or 3 TD’s or hopes we are 2-2 after game four isn’t necessarily mediocre nor satisfied with mediocrity. Neither is the UND community, admin team, alumni staff or coaching staff that has slowly been rebuilding our athletic teams and upgrading facilities. 

One always wonders how we can become so knowledgeable that we know who is mediocre or exactly what it takes to win championships. I always wonder if those same folks have ever been involved in a meaningful manner in championships at the college or professional levels. 

It’s a new season. No reason not to be optimistic. 

Your well thought out insights take on a whole new perspective to me now that I've seen behind the curtain. Be well see you at tailgating. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1