SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The status quo isn’t nearly good enough for UND athletics. In fact, 2022-2023 was a very disappointing year. “Grand Forks is a big hockey town” is the status quo. Also perhaps a fact, but doesn’t mean it’s unchangeable. 

UND athletics as a whole is stuck in the mud. And the longer it goes like that, the harder it will be to change it.

• Upvote 2

I hope we can put to bed about Sather as a coach.  He could recruit but the good ones left.  He couldn't coach because of record.  Made a huge run the end of the season.  Buckle up next year will be fun.  If you sturdier his career he developed his team.  A late hire and covid delayed the development.  UND has a winner. :D  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I hope we can put to bed about Sather as a coach.  He could recruit but the good ones left.  He couldn't coach because of record.  Made a huge run the end of the season.  Buckle up next year will be fun.  If you sturdier his career he developed his team.  A late hire and covid delayed the development.  UND has a winner. :D  

Does this mean Bubba is the basketball coach now???

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Double headers are literally the only way I can get my buddies up to UND for a FB game.  And I'm guessing that's what get's many out of towners up there for games as well. @UND-FB-FAN you sound just as bad as hockey-only fans.  The school, and we as fans, need to work on developing a better synergy between FB and Hockey.   Would a noon kick really that big of a deal when the game is going to be sold out anyway? 

Hockey-only fans are literally the red-headed country bumpkin stepchildren of sports fans. I’m not that. I fall in line with the mainstream.

• Downvote 1

17 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The status quo isn’t nearly good enough for UND athletics. In fact, 2022-2023 was a very disappointing year. “Grand Forks is a big hockey town” is the status quo. Also perhaps a fact, but doesn’t mean it’s unchangeable. 

Why are you so butt hurt over GF being a hockey town? Football can still be huge in a hockey town. Minnesota is the "State of Hockey" and I think the Vikings are doing just fine. Different situations, I know!

Hockey may get more funding, but they also generate more income. Maybe I'm in the minority, but football's biggest holdback is football, not hockey. If football becomes dominant and still can't get some more traction, you may have a point, but I doubt that will be the case. You want more fans and more support from the community, Win! Its that simple. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Hockey-only fans are literally the red-headed country bumpkin stepchildren of sports fans. I’m not that. I fall in line with the mainstream.

It's been my experience that "hockey-only fans" are more like unicorns or pink elephants.

Oh, and there are a lot of strawmen name "hockey-only."

3 minutes ago, N of GF said:

It's been my experience that "hockey-only fans" are more like unicorns or pink elephants.

Oh, and there are a lot of strawmen name "hockey-only."

It has come to my attention recently that there may be UND fans that are "football only" or "basketball only" as well.

But they too are rare. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It has come to my attention recently that there may be UND fans that are "football only" or "basketball only" as well.

But they too are rare. 

The funny part is that UND-FB-FAN (I apologize if it wasn't actually U-F-B, but it was one of the people here that has the same list of comments they copy/paste to the boards) has actually proclaimed "FOOTBALL ONLY" on these boards. By my count it's;

Hockey only fans= 0

Football only fans= 1 (probably more like two or three judging by comments here)

4 minutes ago, Kab said:

Does ndsu have a large enough fan base to go fbs with the thought of having weekday games too because of tv 

It doesn't take much of a fanbase to be FBS. MAC teams routinely get smaller crowds than the Dakota schools. It takes funding/money. The way I see it, weekday evening crowds would be largely Fargo locals. Probably not filling up the dome for a Tuesday night game against Akron.

4 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

It doesn't take much of a fanbase to be FBS. MAC teams routinely get smaller crowds than the Dakota schools. It takes funding/money. The way I see it, weekday evening crowds would be largely Fargo locals. Probably not filling up the dome for a Tuesday night game against Akron.

And a significant portion of their crowd is the "I'm here for the tailgate! ... There's a game too?" crowd. 
That doesn't work well on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. 

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And a significant portion of their crowd is the "I'm here for the tailgate! ... There's a game too?" crowd. 
That doesn't work well on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. 

I think it *could* work on a Thursday, if it couldn't happen more than maybe once a year. But yeah, it would not be a great deal. 

Wouldn't be the end of the world but there would be large chunks of empty seats for that game.