SiouxSports.com Forum

“In the lodge” - Friday BSU game day thread

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

You are correct.  I already pointed out elsewhere that Ovechkin picked up #790 in 3x3 OT the other night.  What an absolute travesty if he ever eclipses Gretzky in similar fashion.  

Might be your best post ever.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DAR said:

We sure pounded the beaver...ha ha.  Pretty limp 

If we keep playing like we did in the 2nd and 3rd things could turn around for us.  The line of Gaber Mac and Blake were beasts.  I think the 2nd and 3rd peiods of this game will be pivotal to us turning things around.  Karl must have put these lines together for this game love the lines.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

If we keep playing like we did in the 2nd and 3rd things could turn around for us.  The line of Gaber Mac and Blake were beasts.

After last Saturday I felt this team had to win that game. Too many serious holes. Can’t scrounge out a win against BSU there’s issues.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

After last Saturday I felt this team had to win that game. Too many serious holes. Can’t scrounge out a win against BSU there’s issues.

I tend to disagree. I see a light at the end of the tunnel after this game.  We have some line combos now that show chemistry if Berry doesn't put the forwards names in the hat again to draw lines. Bast looked good along with most of the rest of the defense excluding a couple D.  Think the Beaver gets pounded tonight.

8 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I tend to disagree. I see a light at the end of the tunnel after this game.  We have some line combos now that show chemistry if Berry doesn't put the forwards names in the hat again to draw lines. Bast looked good along with most of the rest of the defense excluding a couple D.  Think the Beaver gets pounded tonight.

We're sitting about where Denver was at this time last year. I might be the only one who thinks this but I think we turned the corner in our season in the 2nd period last night.  Just don't mess with these line and D pairings barring injury and we should get the ship righted soon.  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Until this team can keep the puck out of its own net consistently not much will change. Give up an early  goal 4 minutes in. Then go down 0-2. Then give up goal 30 seconds after scoring one. 

That’s been an issue that has plagued this team for as long as I can remember. I’m on pins and needles as we get to less than 2:00 left in the period because you can pretty much count on someone falling asleep and an opposing goal being scored. 

I don't think it was a second period last night thing.  I think they bottomed out against Denver and have been slowly improving since.  Last year they struggled in the first half, getting dominated Friday and scrounging out miraculous close wins Saturday.  Driscoll struggled.  In the second half, Driscoll found his game and they went on their run.  

They're getting close to going on a run now, but it won't happen without better goaltending.  I still think DeRidder is the most likely to find that level of play. 

41 minutes ago, jk said:

I don't think it was a second period last night thing.  I think they bottomed out against Denver and have been slowly improving since.  Last year they struggled in the first half, getting dominated Friday and scrounging out miraculous close wins Saturday.  Driscoll struggled.  In the second half, Driscoll found his game and they went on their run.  

They're getting close to going on a run now, but it won't happen without better goaltending.  I still think DeRidder is the most likely to find that level of play. 

Man, I wish I was as optimistic as you. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yep.  UNO moves up to #22 with their win (DU slips to #4)...which moves UND to #26.

UND can sure look dominant at times (2nd period tonight), but certainly can't string that into a consistent level of play for a full weekend.

Will we see another UND weekend sweep this season?  Holy Cross on opening weekend was one.
Hopefully Lindenwood in early Jan.  Not sure on any others.

Just imagine where UND would be if they would have played a real team that first weekend instead of Holy Cross.  Low 30's in the pairwise??

12 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

You are correct.  I already pointed out elsewhere that Ovechkin picked up #790 in 3x3 OT the other night.  What an absolute travesty if he ever eclipses Gretzky in similar fashion.  

Should probably nullify all goals since the two line pass was eliminated too for good measure!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

We're sitting about where Denver was at this time last year. I might be the only one who thinks this but I think we turned the corner in our season in the 2nd period last night.  Just don't mess with these line and D pairings barring injury and we should get the ship righted soon.  

I've thought we've turned the corner many times this season.  They seem to always follow it up with a dud. 
If they can get the W tonight, that'll be a step in the right direction.
Another tie or loss tonight and it'll just be same-old, same-old.

42 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I've thought we've turned the corner many times this season.  They seem to always follow it up with a dud. 
If they can get the W tonight, that'll be a step in the right direction.
Another tie or loss tonight and it'll just be same-old, same-old.

I may be overly optimistic but I really like these line combinations and D pairs.  We will need goaltending to come around but I thought Helsten was very solid once he settled in in the 2nd and 3rd.  We overcame two 2 goal deficits and Blakes goal should have counted as how the rule reads.  Berry needs to stick with last night's lineup barring injuries imo.

• Upvote 1