SiouxSports.com Forum

“In the lodge” - Friday BSU game day thread

The Sicatoka

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

True.  Just not healthy for the position to have a bunch of one and done guys.

Don't think they've gotten quite what they thought they'd get from the Swede.  Hopefully Hedquist is ready to compete next year.

I don’t think they ever planned for Hellsten to be anything more than a backup who can play a few handfuls of games every year. Hedquist, to me, has always been seen as the heir apparent. Hellsten has his moments but he’s also had some stinkers. 

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

He might be forced to with how many people got dinged up tonight.
Frisch, Kleven, Hain, Senden...they all seemed to have some issues tonight.
Hopefully a few of them can still roll tomorrow.

Yes barring injuries. I thought our D pairings were good too especially Bast. Kleven got walked though.

Just now, Wilbur said:

Jandric-Bast

Sidorkski-Farmer

One of Kleven, Moore, Frisch, Johnson has to be able to play right? 

Bast certainly chose the right time to be able to get back on the ice.  He saw a ton of ice time tonight and will again tomorrow as well (and however long it takes for all those other guys to heal).

Johnson was out tonight with illness.  Hopefully he's not horribly ill and can join tomorrow's lineup.

28 minutes ago, Irish said:

Why can't we get a good goalie prospect (like Chrona from Denver) and have solid tending for 3-4 years.  With Karl we should be able to develop a youngster.  Can't say I'm in favor of how we seem to be recruiting this position.

Well, Driscoll had a .908 save % compared to .911 for Chrona last year, and the year before, Scheel was at .931 compared to .907 for Chrona.  Maybe if Scheel stays another year like Chrona did, he blows his save % out of the water again.  The perception is always that we are horrible at everything, when in fact the numbers don’t always follow suit.  Yes, we are struggling to this point, but at the same time last year, people were running Driscoll out of town.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Well, Driscoll had a 9.08 save % compared to 9.11 for Chrona last year, and the year before, Scheel was at 9.31 compared to 9.07 for Chrona.  Maybe if Scheel stays another year like Chrona did, he blows his save % out of the water again.  The perception is always that we are horrible at everything, when in fact the numbers don’t always follow suit.  Yes, we are struggling to this point, but at the same time last year, people were running Driscoll out of town.

It takes time for the game to slow down for goaltenders. Give Helsten more net time and I think he'll just get better and better.  Desiev should already be past the point of the game slowing down. I say we give Helsten the net and ride with him.

4 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

I'm no fan of the shootout but I dont see too many players going down with injuries during them

There’s a first time for everything, isn’t there?  Again, what’s the upside teamwise?  An extra point?  Increased Pairwise ranking?  It’s literally NOTHING except the casual fan can think the team “won.”  Case in point below…

768B378F-F3DF-4FC4-8E80-DBE008DDAA85.jpeg

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I don’t think they ever planned for Hellsten to be anything more than a backup who can play a few handfuls of games every year. Hedquist, to me, has always been seen as the heir apparent. Hellsten has his moments but he’s also had some stinkers. 

The goaltending situation last season and this year have been abnormal. UND seems to always have a solid goaltender or tenders. Scheel seems so long ago

• Upvote 1

Let’s not forget that all this ridiculous crap came from the NHL, when they decided you get a point if you get to overtime even if you lose and thus instituted the 3X3.  Never liked it when it started, because now you had teams playing to secure that point, rather than going all out for the win in regulation. Look at Anaheim, they got their first win in regulation the other night, but because of the 3x3 they have six wins.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Let’s not forget that all this ridiculous crap came from the NHL, when they decided you get a point if you get to overtime even if you lose and thus instituted the 3X3.  Never liked it when it started, because now you had teams playing to secure that point, rather than going all out for the win in regulation.

You are correct.  I already pointed out elsewhere that Ovechkin picked up #790 in 3x3 OT the other night.  What an absolute travesty if he ever eclipses Gretzky in similar fashion.  

• Upvote 1