SiouxSports.com Forum

Miami @ UND Saturday - keep it rolling

brianvf

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

It certainly wasn’t from pressure when the coaches say they came out sleepy.  And you obviously don’t know me if you think that is the case, but your language and attitude sure give a window into your world.

Then you be an assistant coach in charge of making sure they don't all go out and party after winning big on a Friday night.  I don't know you and I don't care but the expectations of this programs fans are frankly self-centered, selfish, stupid and so nothing for the program.  

Put the HORSE before the cart you morons!  Put together a good team that will PERFORM and win instead of expecting a team JUST TO PERFORM because you have important alums in the building and you are spending money to be there...so tired of that bs

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/four-themes-re-appear-in-unds-loss-to-miami

UND's opponent has scored three-plus goals in nine of the last 11 games.

On Saturday, UND played a Miami team that hadn't scored more than two in its last 10 league games, going back to last season. The RedHawks also were playing without first-line center, Red Savage, who was left home with an injury.

They still scored four goals on 16 shots, plunging UND's team save percentage to .877. The only teams with worse team save percentages: Air Force, Bentley and Holy Cross.

The bolded parts are brutal.  Ouch.

Also...closed door team meeting seemed to have happened after this game.
It's made a comeback:

"We just talked as a group," Jamernik V said. "We're going to figure it out."

UND will now play five of its next six games on the road before heading to Christmas break.

It starts with a Friday night road game at Bemidji State. Then, UND will play two-game series at St. Cloud State and Western Michigan.

"We had a good meeting right now and there's no chance anybody's going to leave a single ounce of anything left," Jamernik V said. "So it's going to be everything we've got."

6 hours ago, DAR said:

weak and horrible loss...next year will be worse.  The Ralph has worn off all the big recruits want to play in the Big Ten now.  Or at Denver.  If you are a young kid would you rather play your 4 years in Denver or Grand Forks?

Other venues and programs are catching up to our facilities. They haven’t caught up quite yet. The Ralph is still the best, but yes, choosing to live and play in Forks Vs Denver or a Big 10 school when you’re 18-20… choosing forks won’t always come out on top. We are going to have to figure out recruiting / start embracing NIL, like yesterday. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Other venues and programs are catching up to our facilities. They haven’t caught up quite yet. The Ralph is still the best, but yes, choosing to live and play in Forks Vs Denver or a Big 10 school when you’re 18-20… choosing forks won’t always come out on top. We are going to have to figure out recruiting / start embracing NIL, like yesterday. 

That’s a bit of my worry too. The bigger schools are crushing us with recruiting blue chips (yes we can still get them I know) but we’re down a bit on recruiting. Some nice ones in the pipeline but it’s really thin at the moment. Some of these teams are reloading heavier than we did in the 2000s. Hockey has really been growing in the US. It benefits US hockey…but those kids may go to bigger schools. DU not in that category but great school/location.

I realize this doesn't help their development, which is important as they will be relied upon next year, but Moore (last week) and Johnson have been liabilities in the defensive zone.  If Bast was healthy, I would have them as 7 and 8 right now.  

Up front, it's harder to find guys to take out to get McLaughlin and Portz back in.  Maybe Albrecht, Costantini and Kunz.  Albrecht did not look like the same player as last year, but that may take reps after the injury.  As for who stays in, the top line can be electric, the old men are still effective, and I don't want to mess with 21-26-28.  Or Ness, who is consistently making things happen.  

9 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

It’s cheaper and easier watching the game at home or the bar. The atmosphere at the Ralph has changed a lot too. Student section should be behind and corner to the away goalie, so they can stand and be noisy. A la the gophers student section. 

I used to drive over from Bemidji a lot, but my 70 inch and Bose surround is much more appealing than the crowd of people playing on their phones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

That’s a bit of my worry too. The bigger schools are crushing us with recruiting blue chips (yes we can still get them I know) but we’re down a bit on recruiting. Some nice ones in the pipeline but it’s really thin at the moment. Some of these teams are reloading heavier than we did in the 2000s. Hockey has really been growing in the US. It benefits US hockey…but those kids may go to bigger schools. DU not in that category but great school/location.

I'm not gonna lie.  If I got a scholarship offer to ASU or UND I'd go outside when it's 30 below and then sign my LOI for Tempe and pack my golf clubs.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Karl is on a different level as Bubs as far as hockey IQ.  Karl is a hockey savant.

This is truth.

Karl hung around and learned from the TBL system and Jon Cooper.
Brad hung around CBJ and WPG and Scott Arniel.
Not the same. 

• Upvote 2

Grand Forks has never been as attractive as Denver or Ann Arbor or even Minneapolis.

Minnesota's recent recruiting success has more to do with replacing Lucia with Motzko than the almighty Big Ten.

Denver and Duluth show that small schools can still win.

The thought of our program becoming a permanent also-ran is nauseating to me. I hope it is to everyone else here too.

• Upvote 1

I can’t help but notice the similarities between this board and Nebraska Football Twitter. All the teams that get trash talked on here suffer the EXACT issues, and have for years, that you guys are predicting in the future. Recruiting, location, coaching, etc. Settle down kids, embrace the “suck” as they say!

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I can’t help but notice the similarities between this board and Nebraska Football Twitter. All the teams that get trash talked on here suffer the EXACT issues, and have for years, that you guys are predicting in the future. Recruiting, location, coaching, etc. Settle down kids, embrace the “suck” as they say!

The point is we don't want to end up like Nebraska FB. And since when does this program ever "embrace the suck"? That is the last thing we should do. Ever.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

Also...closed door team meeting seemed to have happened after this game.
It's made a comeback:

With the next 6 games against the top tier of our league, I would like to think we could go .500, but what we've seen so far this year, we'd be lucky to win 1 game. Brutal schedule ahead, and unfortunately the most likely scenario of seeing UND at the bottom of the NCHC. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I have a question for the UND fans (I don't care about the other fan bases who troll or are reading this message board): you guys want to fire a coach that has a 72-25-6 72.8 % winning percentage over the past three seasons? His team also won back-to-back-to-back NCHC Penrose Cups. 

Which includes 1 NCAA win and ZERO Frozen Fours.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Which includes 1 NCAA win and ZERO Frozen Fours.

Sometimes your team doesn't always win. UND lost two 50-50 games (ND and UMD) both of those games could've gone either way. Also, you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone except a small fraction of the fanbase that Brad Berry needs to be shown the door. He's got three more years left on a four-year deal.  What is the measuring stick that he's being judged by? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I have a question for the UND fans (I don't care about the other fan bases who troll or are reading this message board): you guys want to fire a coach that has a 72-25-6 72.8 % winning percentage over the past three seasons? His team also won back-to-back-to-back NCHC Penrose Cups. 

Not saying fire Berry - but after 1 NCAA win since 2016 and looking at how we play this year and considering how our recruiting has gone it is clear we need some changes and I am not very confident any will be made.  I was trying to point out that there doesn't appear to be much accountability for coaches coming from the AD's office.  Watching both the Football and Hockey teams this weekend was brutal.  If you look at our major sports - Men's and Women's BB, Volleyball, Football, and Hockey this has to be one of the lowest overall periods in UND athletics.  

• Upvote 3