SiouxSports.com Forum

Miami @ UND Saturday - keep it rolling

brianvf

Here's the REAL elephant in the room...STOP bringing back the great teams and feeding the fans BS that will only talk about how we're the FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER!

We're NOT anymore - it's 2022 - I hated to see it go but it's GONE!  Face facts...that name is cursed.   1 title in 20+ years with all these great teams and the arena we have?  Can't blame Hak and Berry for that - blame yourselves for being self-centered a-holes who won't consider change!

The great opportunity was to take the idea of the NODAK jerseys and have them say HAWKS (5 letters - could have been a bridge to the past for the future but what do I know)  but no - gotta keep grasping on to the past and we can't win for whatever reason and you blame everyone else but yourselves just to keep wearing a Sioux jersey. Just make sure to sign up for that next great DESTINATION game - where we'll probably lose.

I might quote a famous movie star on ALL this...Stupid is as stupid does

We need to move on...maybe in coaching - certainly in attitude but we NEED to MOVE ON!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I wish I knew how to do that. Sorry @NDSU82.

Not to rub it in, but it was a good interview. Gino said that the '82 team was the toughest team he ever coached.

Gino is a great example of a coach who understood the types of players he had to bring in to have a winning team. We are in a different era and I think Berry needs to rethink his recruiting.

1 hour ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Gino is a great example of a coach who understood the types of players he had to bring in to have a winning team. We are in a different era and I think Berry needs to rethink his recruiting.

Geno left most recruiting duties to his assistants.  

It’s no surprise recruiting took a nose dive when Dean Blais and John Marks left; culminating in 3 sub .500 seasons a few years later (early 90s)  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SKondrashkin said:

Geno left most recruiting duties to his assistants.  

It’s no surprise recruiting took a nose dive when Dean Blais and John Marks left; culminating in 3 sub .500 seasons a few years later (early 90s)  

Just curious does Berry leave the recruiting to his assistants also?

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

At least it’s not Waterworld Kevin. 

Don't you disrespect that performance!!!!

6 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Here's the REAL elephant in the room...STOP bringing back the great teams and feeding the fans BS that will only talk about how we're the FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER!

We're NOT anymore - it's 2022 - I hated to see it go but it's GONE!  Face facts...that name is cursed.   1 title in 20+ years with all these great teams and the arena we have?  Can't blame Hak and Berry for that - blame yourselves for being self-centered a-holes who won't consider change!

The great opportunity was to take the idea of the NODAK jerseys and have them say HAWKS (5 letters - could have been a bridge to the past for the future but what do I know)  but no - gotta keep grasping on to the past and we can't win for whatever reason and you blame everyone else but yourselves just to keep wearing a Sioux jersey. Just make sure to sign up for that next great DESTINATION game - where we'll probably lose.

We need to move on...maybe in coaching - certainly in attitude but we NEED to MOVE ON!

In society, there should be some type of painful automatic response, a haptic feedback for such and ignorant post on a forum.

A keyboard style "shock collar" as one would put on a dog too stupid to learn from previous mistakes...

Sadly that doesn't exist. This post is proof that it doesn't.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Yeah, about the only thing I agree with you on is the NoDak jerseys.  Not sure who ever thought those were a good idea.  Pretty sure NoDak didn’t  win any of the nickname votes that everyone took part in years ago. (Where actual results were ignored anyway…cue picture of man beating dead horse.). Happy Monday everyone!

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Goon said:

I have a question for the UND fans (I don't care about the other fan bases who troll or are reading this message board): you guys want to fire a coach that has a 72-25-6 72.8 % winning percentage over the past three seasons? His team also won back-to-back-to-back NCHC Penrose Cups. 

Bingo, he ain’t going anywhere nor should he. Recruiting needs to pick up though. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Which would be fine if he shows he can change and adapt , if this is how his teams play then fans will start taking their money elsewhere and that is where the change will happen. When you mess with the bottom line higher ups will notice. Two distination stinkers won’t bring fans for a third. 

But UND has the best fans in the world, and we travel well. :silly:

46 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

To those saying “how far the program has fallen” must’ve forgotten in 2020 the program was #1 all year then stripped the opportunity of postseason, then the following season lost in 5OT to go to FF. 

Ask programs like Maine and UNH about teams that have fallen off.  People assume that because of our facilities that we should always be at the top, but like others have said, kids have many priorities in what they are looking at.  Coaches like Shawn Walsh and Dick Umile had Maine and UNH on top, but they have gone down several notches without them, and replacement coaches aren't necessarily going to bring you success.  I would think that either program would love to even be in the conversation about league titles or tournament appearances now.  Like I said, let's see how this season pans out before we go off the rails, because you could end up going through several coaches like the basketball program has, and maybe still not find the answer.  Many of the people begging for the days of Hakstol were ripping Hakstol because he couldn't win it all. 

On 11/20/2022 at 11:48 PM, gfNDfan said:

WITFF

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Ask programs like Maine and UNH about teams that have fallen off.  People assume that because of our facilities that we should always be at the top, but like others have said, kids have many priorities in what they are looking at.  Coaches like Shawn Walsh and Dick Umile had Maine and UNH on top, but they have gone down several notches without them, and replacement coaches aren't necessarily going to bring you success.  I would think that either program would love to even be in the conversation about league titles or tournament appearances now.  Like I said, let's see how this season pans out before we go off the rails, because you could end up going through several coaches like the basketball program has, and maybe still not find the answer.  Many of the people begging for the days of Hakstol were ripping Hakstol because he couldn't win it all. 

During Hak’s years those teams were loaded (and fun to watch). We basically recruited like Mich/MN are today. BC is even rolling (from a recruiting standpoint I realize they’ve sucked the past two years). We have strathmann and Perron coming in, but it’s thin at the moment. We need to keep kleven and gaber (and basically everyone else) for next season.

Just now, 1972 said:

there is no way kleven stays another year....i have even money he dosent make it the rest of this year

Why would he leave midseason? To go play in the AHL? Pretty sure the Sens would be ok with him staying here lol.

Frankly, he's still a great player, but his showing some warts this season. I definitely think he'll be a tossup at the end of the year, but what's to indicate even a hint of him leaving midseason?

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why would he leave midseason? To go play in the AHL? Pretty sure the Sens would be ok with him staying here lol.

Frankly, he's still a great player, but his showing some warts this season. I definitely think he'll be a tossup at the end of the year, but what's to indicate even a hint of him leaving midseason?

I think the college game might not be very good for him at this point. He gets called for a penalty every time he touches someone. The only thing he's learning is to play tentative and weak. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I think the college game might not be very good for him at this point. He gets called for a penalty every time he touches someone. The only thing he's learning is to play tentative and weak. 

I think there's aspects of his game that aren't perfect for him, but that isn't stopping any potential development, otherwise the Sens would have yanked him, IMO. I struggle to come up with a reason he'd leave midseason.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:13 PM, UNDBIZ said:

I don’t really agree with that. If he wants to play in the NHL and stay (which may be a long shot), he need to learn to see the ice better. Move the puck better. The days of these guys that only hit are completely gone. The guys that hit in todays game can do other things really well too. And fighters are basically disappearing too (even though kleven doesn’t come across as a guy that’s going to fight all the time). 

To be honest, kleven should stay this year and next year…unless he takes off from this point forward. He’s still so young.