SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Indiana State 11/05/22

SiouxFan100

14 hours ago, iramurphy said:

That isn’t how one determines talent. That is how most fans and media types evaluate talent. Waletzko had no other offers. The Hegg kid from NDSU was a walk on. Belquist is an FBS talent. If we evaluated talent by your method these guys would have been at Concordia or MSUM. We have a lot of talented kids on this team. The fact is every team we play has talented kids. Some more than others. There isn’t a cupcake on the schedule this year. 

However, we don’t have enough D1 body types. That’s not up for debate. Look at SDSU’s DL. Look at SIU, ISUr, Youngstown, etc. They have loads of guys that look the part and play like it. I’m tired of UND being the program that does more with less. Why not do most with more instead?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

GeauSioux is a wayyyy better authority on this than I am... but I don't think there is anything wrong (injury wise) with Brady's leg. He could kick touch backs all day long anywhere if he wanted to. I think he is simply doing what the coaches tell him to do before each kick, based on scouting and watching tapes. If there is high confidence our special teams can shut down a returner shy of the 25, then why automatically give them the 25 with a touchback? Now, granted after that it's up to player execution, from Brady to the kick-off coverage unit.. .and that was simply brutal on Saturday.

He can kick the ball just fine. I don’t trust him to make a FG though. Seems like a mental midget. Like the opposite of Zeb who would make the big kicks from all over the place and miss some easy low pressure kicks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He can kick the ball just fine. I don’t trust him to make a FG though. Seems like a mental midget. Like the opposite of Zeb who would make the big kicks from all over the place and miss some easy low pressure kicks.

Thanks for the insight.  The good thing is that I trust our offense enough to not need many field goals (so far).

29 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

You kick it five yards into the end zone- if you are capable of doing so

Assuming he could kick it into the End Zone, I still wouldn’t kick it 5 yards into the end zone if you can’t cover the fast as hell return man. Point is, don’t kick it to him at all unless your coverage unit can get the job done. UND’s kick coverage unit just didn’t have the juice.

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

However, we don’t have enough D1 body types. That’s not up for debate. Look at SDSU’s DL. Look at SIU, ISUr, Youngstown, etc. They have loads of guys that look the part and play like it. I’m tired of UND being the program that does more with less. Why not do most with more instead?

Which is why some (most) of the players at UND only receive DII offers. Either they don’t have the measurables or UND gets to them first. Sometimes a bit of both.

It’s not media types this, fans that. It’s that coaches look at the measurables: size, weight, speed, and strength and project the kids into boxes. Every once in a while, kids will develop late and/or the intangibles make a major difference, which is why recruiting some of these under-the-radar kids (especially the ones from ND and MN) is still important, but you can’t build your entire team off it. Won’t work. They won’t hold up against the top of the FCS/division I. Even NDSU and SDSU recruit student athletes from Florida, Texas, Chicago, Kansas, Missouri, Arizona, etc.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Which is why some (most) of the players at UND only receive DII offers.

So are we basically being out-recruited by our primary rivals?  I thought recruiting has taken a big step in the last couple classes.

I refuse to believe UND cant recruit a kicker that can regularly kick it 5+ yds deep into the endzone in a dome environment. There are multiple high school kickers every year in the state of North Dakota not to mention the rest of the USA/World that can do this.  Therefore I assume that Brady can do this and he seems to have plenty of leg on long field goals so I assume its not a physical limitation.  This to me means its a scheme by Kostich/coaching staff which seems absolutely inexplicable given our struggle to cover the kickoffs in a productive manner or at a minimum is just getting cute and outsmarting ourself.  I dont really understand the idea of not kicking it reasonably deep into the endzone.. Most teams at the D1 level have a returner capable of breaking a long one or at least relatively easily getting it past the 25 yd line.  If people want to kick to CJ or Red at the 1 yd line every time I guarantee UND has a better average starting position then the 25 and at least once a game will be past the 50..

Hopefully they will have it sorted out this weekend

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

just rewatch that play where the rugby scrum started at around the 6 or 7 and sdac essentially pushed our whole defense into the endzone standing up....not a good look.

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Care to stick your neck out? 

I wouldn't say you really stuck your neck out.  You said 6-5...but if we go 7-4 we make the playoffs and everyone is happy and your comment is mostly forgotten.  But if we do go 6-5 you get to rail on it...on a weekly basis the entire off season about how you are the only one who has high expectations etc. etc. etc.  Very low risk high reward statement for you saying we will go 6-5.  

If we do end up 6-5, you won't be the only one who is pretty pissed off/upset. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, shep said:

Why hasn't he played much? Not sure he was even on the KO team yesterday? 

Mcneal doesn't play because he is not as good as the guys who are playing.  

As for UND recruiting in general, its about getting guys who will develop.  There are exceptions, but rarely does UND or any other FCS school get guys who are ready-made for FCS football.  If they are that good out of high school, they are usually found by FBS schools.  I can only think of a handful of guys at any of the Dakota schools who were ready to play out of HS over the last 5-10 years.

12 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Mcneal doesn't play because he is not as good as the guys who are playing.  

As for UND recruiting in general, its about getting guys who will develop.  There are exceptions, but rarely does UND or any other FCS school get guys who are ready-made for FCS football.  If they are that good out of high school, they are usually found by FBS schools.  I can only think of a handful of guys at any of the Dakota schools who were ready to play out of HS over the last 5-10 years.

Hell, Greg Hardin needed a year in the weight room even.

40 minutes ago, Kab said:

So what happens to the QB situation after schuster is done

The feeling I get from how people have been talking is that Jerry Kaminski is the heir apparent.  I'm sure at least one of our current Freshman/RSFreshman QBs won't be on the roster in 2025.

13 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The feeling I get from how people have been talking is that Jerry Kaminski is the heir apparent.  I'm sure at least one of our current Freshman/RSFreshman QBs won't be on the roster in 2025.

Call me a skeptic, but I fear we won't find out how good he is.

A lot of angst and gnashing of teeth in our chat about Indiana State this upcoming weekend.. Not bad for a team that is currently 5-3 facing a team thats 1-7. 

Apparently, we are so worried about Indiana State that we are even concerned about the backup QB situation.. when we have one of the best QB's in UND history currently playing with 2 years of eligibility currently remaining. :).  I happen to think we will be just fine in that area in the short term with Q.. Feeney and even Romfo.  That room seems just fine and about 7th on our list of priorities although the transfer portal and a decommit could change that... still a topic for another time or at least one of the other channels :).

This seems like a game where our team can continue to get better.  Their team is not as bad as the record indicates but if you want to be a playoff team you have to win it.  They have been torched by 3 teams, Purdue, SDSU & Montana.. (all good teams, Montana is debatable.. but I think they are solid).  They have lost 4 close ones (less than a TD).. NDSU, UNI, YSU, ISU... all decent to very good teams.  Of all of those games.. the only one I have seen in the NDSU game.  NDSU did everything they could to lose that game and still won.  Im looking forward to a victory for our squad as well.  I would love to hear from some of the great football minds on this board as to some of the matchups that we have to watch out for.  Otherwise I have to wait for Kelly and the fellas at 360 to drop some knowledge on me when I get around to their podcast sometime Thursday.

Also, I know people rip on the #daybyday.. but I love those midco #daybyday videos.. I wish we got a couple of them a week. (am i hashtagging?)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wondering how many times two teams ended up with the same record and the teams that lost to the other team made the playoffs instead of the team that beat the other team...

makes me nervous that uni or ysu get in with 7 wins and we sit with 7 wins yet we beat both of them...including on the road against ysu

Neither one is going to get in above UND if UND is at 7 wins.  

If not, UND needs to be prepared to raise hell about the process.  

Head to head needs to matter.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

GeauSioux is a wayyyy better authority on this than I am... but I don't think there is anything wrong (injury wise) with Brady's leg. He could kick touch backs all day long anywhere if he wanted to. I think he is simply doing what the coaches tell him to do before each kick, based on scouting and watching tapes. If there is high confidence our special teams can shut down a returner shy of the 25, then why automatically give them the 25 with a touchback? Now, granted after that it's up to player execution, from Brady to the kick-off coverage unit.. .and that was simply brutal on Saturday.

I don't have any inside info but I think Brady would be kicking into the endzone for touchbacks if he could.  He was doing that earlier in the year but leg strength can come and go during the season.  Also they can get out of sync at times and hit the ball too low so spins too fast and lose distance.  Kind of like a golf swing can get out of whack during a round.  

When I was at UND we visited Denver Broncos practice on way to N Colorado.   I talked with their kicker and punter and they told me that they didn't do any kicking during the week until like Thursday or Friday during the season to preserve leg strength.   Even then they only kicked like 4 balls the first day and not much more until Sunday.   They mostly spent time spotting the ball for the O and D practice.