SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMN - Sat Night Redemption (hopefully)

brianvf

1 minute ago, KCSioux said:

I really enjoyed when the Sioux coaches challenged and got Cooley for a game misconduct and kicked out of the game after he chose Minnesota over North Dakota last spring.

Interesting. I wasn’t aware UND was in the running for Cooley. 

13 minutes ago, 808287 said:

Best Gopher team since 78-79, imho, and that is saying something.

Guess I need a bigger sampling to make that statement.  The talent is certainly there, but St. Cloud just swept Mankato, and Minnesota split, not surprising losing on the road. Won’t be any teams they face that have more talent, except maybe Michigan, but there could be a couple teams that could catch them on the road.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

One thing I hope UND takes away from watching the tape of that game is how important team defense is, and every guy has a big role in our zone.  

Yes, the gophers are much more talented than we are, but of the goals we gave up this weekend a few of them could of been prevented with a commitment to not letting a puck get to the net.

We got outshot horribly, had to rely on our goaltender to be superb, but on two plays if our wing doesn't let the puck through we could be talking about a sweep. 

All you can ask of Deridder is to give us a chance to win which he did both nights.  He played very well both nights.  Made the goofs tenders look bush league.

51 minutes ago, 808287 said:

Best Gopher team since 78-79, imho, and that is saying something.

44 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Here's a thought. Since these teams don't play in 24-25, and new rules allow the exhibition game to be against fellow NCAA teams, they should schedule one another that way. Get it done Bob and Bubs!

I'll put these two together and note the last time the Sioux and Gophers played exhibition games was 1978-1979.   Friday night in Minot and Saturday night in Eveleth for the US Hockey Hall of Fame.   One long brawl, since the games didn't count and you got to send a message..  ( I Don't think that much brawling would happen in 2024-2025.)

And, yeah, those were the first two games with Gino Gasparini as head coach.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, brianvf said:

That's the usual.  We're also overage and Canadians, if I remember correctly.
GOONS!  ;)

While that take is a bit overdone by Gopher fans the perception is understandable.    The average college senior is 21.5 or so.    ND has 15 on the roster over the age of 22.   Of the 7 Canadiens on the roster the average age is 22 with two of them being 24.      The average age of the top 5 scorers for ND is 22.5 wiht 2 of them from Canada that are 23 and 24 years old.   The average age of UMTC's top 5 scorers is 20 with two of them being 18 which is a age ND does not even have on its roster nor is there a skater on the UM roster that is from Canada.    Does ND have a roster loaded with 24 year old Canadiens?   No.   Does ND have the success it has had over the years without overaged players coming from various places including Canada?    Also no.   

Everyone of ND's players is legal, within the rules and 100% a valid player but let's not pretend there isn't a basis for the perception.    

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Is it classless in baseball when they toss a home run ball from the opposing team back on the field? Nope. 
Tossing it back made the whole sequence that much better. :)

Especially when the Sioux lit up the Gofs for 4 straight goals immediately after...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

@Blackheartif you want my log in for Big Ten Plus to put these on your channel, let me know. Two instant classics, not quite the lore of "the timeout game", but the four minutes following the stick toss should be immortalized on YouTube for generations to come. Pitlick is going viral, just not in the way he thought he would. There was probably a ~35% chance it'd be a Sioux fan that caught it, and sure enough.

You are correct about Saturday's game being a classic.  Would love to have it on the Blackheart channel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Realityguy said:

While that take is a bit overdone by Gopher fans the perception is understandable.    The average college senior is 21.5 or so.    ND has 15 on the roster over the age of 22.   Of the 7 Canadiens on the roster the average age is 22 with two of them being 24.      The average age of the top 5 scorers for ND is 22.5 wiht 2 of them from Canada that are 23 and 24 years old.   The average age of UMTC's top 5 scorers is 20 with two of them being 18 which is a age ND does not even have on its roster nor is there a skater on the UM roster that is from Canada.    Does ND have a roster loaded with 24 year old Canadiens?   No.   Does ND have the success it has had over the years without overaged players coming from various places including Canada?    Also no.   

Everyone of ND's players is legal, within the rules and 100% a valid player but let's not pretend there isn't a basis for the perception.    

I seem to remember a 17 year old Canadian with a strange name that played for us a few years back.  I heard he had a little success playing in Chicago after UND.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Realityguy said:

Does ND have the success it has had over the years without overaged players coming from various places including Canada?    Also no.   

You could say that same thing about most teams that have had recent success in the NCAA tourney. 
UND and many other teams follow that same winning formula. 

13 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

No, but it was absolutely the right call. Clearly spun Kunz's helmet around in the scrum. I didn't see a face mask by any of our guys on the play and if there was one, it definitely was not to the level of Cooley's. 

It wasn't as bad but I think it was Kunz who did technically grab a Gopher facemask right away, no turn like Cooley though.

26 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I seem to remember a 17 year old Canadian with a strange name that played for us a few years back.  I heard he had a little success playing in Chicago after UND.

So you have to go back 17 years to find a single player that goes against the age thing.   Not sure you really you disqualified the perception.  The last national championship for ND had 8 Canadiens with 2 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 10 scorers from north of the border.   

35 minutes ago, brianvf said:

You could say that same thing about most teams that have had recent success in the NCAA tourney. 
UND and many other teams follow that same winning formula. 

I don't disagree.     Gopher fans say the same thing about MInnesota State.   I didn't say it was wrong or a bad plan.   I only stated that the perception of Gopher fans that UND's roster is filled with players that are significantly older than most of their student peers and from north of the border is based in reality.    Your statement seems to confirm that.     I only responded to the poster that seemed to indicate he thought it was a bunch of made up BS.   I was not degrading any program that has a roster like that.