SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 ND High School Hockey

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

For me this was the correct answer. Thank you. 

Warroad was eye-opening to watch in the third period last night.

Spuds at 1 pm. 

I understand the TV timeouts but I was Still shocked at how often warroads top line was on the ice.  They must’ve logged 30 minutes and they continued to get better as the game went along.  3rd line maybe 6 shifts the entire game….unbelievable.

• 4 weeks later...

2023 ND NIT TEAM:

Tendies: Astroup and Miller

Defense: Hofer, Martell, Moser, Ray, Vig, Wockenfuss

Forwards: Boren, Branson, Butts, Bydal, Coleman, Diemer, Getzlaff, Jackson, Morelli, Reynolds, Skarperud, Vetsch.  

Alternates: Carter and Lang up front.  Krieg on D.  Diederich at G. 

On 4/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, Johnny Five said:

2023 ND NIT TEAM:

Tendies: Astroup and Miller

Defense: Hofer, Martell, Moser, Ray, Vig, Wockenfuss

Forwards: Boren, Branson, Butts, Bydal, Coleman, Diemer, Getzlaff, Jackson, Morelli, Reynolds, Skarperud, Vetsch.  

Alternates: Carter and Lang up front.  Krieg on D.  Diederich at G. 

RR with 6 forwards and if Sproule wasn't hurt it would be 7.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like a few more High School head coaching jobs opened up.

Saw Mayville and Dickinson both posted on facebook about them.

Dallas Kuntz had been thw Dickinson head coach for 10 years I believe.

Haven't heard who got or if the West Fargo or Fargo South Shanley jobs had been filled.

On 5/5/2023 at 5:49 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Looks like a few more High School head coaching jobs opened up.

Saw Mayville and Dickinson both posted on facebook about them.

Dallas Kuntz had been thw Dickinson head coach for 10 years I believe.

Haven't heard who got or if the West Fargo or Fargo South Shanley jobs had been filled.

West Fargo is Triplett, hearing that South will be announced soon.  My bet would be Christian Berg. 

• 1 month later...

Looks/sounds like there's plenty of underclassmen departing ND HS hockey.  Maybe it's a normal amount of kids, I don't know.  Sure seems like more to me.  

In an era where "if you're good enough they will find you," it seems like ND (especially west side) kids still carry some sort of label.  

No clue how ND HS Hockey, or NDAHA can prevent this.  I personally think it sucks, but also don't blame the kids/families who want more either.   At the end of the day, sports is about "me" if you have aspirations beyond HS.   Quite the pickle.  

49 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Looks/sounds like there's plenty of underclassmen departing ND HS hockey.  Maybe it's a normal amount of kids, I don't know.  Sure seems like more to me.  

In an era where "if you're good enough they will find you," it seems like ND (especially west side) kids still carry some sort of label.  

No clue how ND HS Hockey, or NDAHA can prevent this.  I personally think it sucks, but also don't blame the kids/families who want more either.   At the end of the day, sports is about "me" if you have aspirations beyond HS.   Quite the pickle.  

I definitely don’t blame any kid leaving from the west. Competition between the west and east is night and day. Sucks for the school but it’s reality

I get that times change and people change with them, but it is disheartening that young people don't care about going to sporting events like they used to. In high school, the annual Red River-Central games were held in the Old REA and it was a big deal to a lot of us. The State Tournament was in the Old REA and it was three days of fun for us. Today, it's all about those ubiquitous smart phones and watching games at home or at Buffalo Wild Wings on flat screen televisions.

And high school hockey had top-notch young talent, the best of whom went on to play college hockey somewhere (sometimes at UND). But those parasitic traveling teams (screw you Little Caesars for helping start that trend) are sucking a lot of talent out of the high schools. Same with junior hockey. Back in the 1990's, it was huge news when a high school player opted to play junior hockey their senior year. Now nobody even mentions it.

I still follow high school hockey here and in the media at-large, but it just isn't what it used to be. Yeah, I know my age is talking here. :p

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

I agree.  It sounds bad to transfer out but when looking at ND hockey the skill level is just not there, imo. If the players can go play in Canada, USHL, NAHL, whatever and play much better talent on a nightly basis, why not?  I am sure there is some delusion when it comes to some players but for higher end talent it certainly is understandable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

The flip side is some other kids may get a varsity shot they would not have otherwise and who knows what they make of it. 

There's some truth to that.  Sometimes a kid will do something crazy when opportunity presents itself too.

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

It seems like after bantam aa the kids don’t get enough ice time in nd high school leagues

the annual gfc and gfrr games were a war! Now it’s just buried in the schedule at eagles or purp now

Really limited by NDHSAA as far as amount of games that can be scheduled and as we all know NDHSAA doesn't give a @#% about HS Hockey.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Which players?

Sheyenne and West Fargo High School both losing a few players.  Believe they are headed to Northstar.  

Bydal from Red River signed with Alaska in the NAHL, he would of been my bet for senior athlete of the year.  Unless he's doing the before the season/after the season thing. 

In the Capital City, Vig 1 tendered to the NAHL - OKC.  He would've been in the running for SR athlete of the year too.  CHS lost another D to some AAA program.  They are returning a great batch of forwards and their goalie from last year but pretty much lost every single D minute.  BHS - Bantam AA goalie didn't set foot on the ice he's off to Sioux Falls Power.  LHS lost their top D to Northstar.  Heard Minot's coach is sending his kid to SSM.  DL kid headed to North Star, and I'm sure there's plenty more.  

There's girls leaving the state as well.  

Maybe a AAA academy like Northstar would at least keep kids in the borders a bit more?  

I know this isn't just a ND issue and there's kids/families that leave everywhere, including MN.  Just a summertime discussion point.  Once again, won't rip anyone who chooses to do what they feel is best.