SiouxSports.com Forum

First 5 games of 2022 Season

Sioux94

Based upon preseason rankings and the first five games, if we went by that we would go 1-4.  I think we could be anywhere between 4-1 and 0-5 after 5 games, but my prediction will be 3-2.  Hoping we are at least 3-2 after those 5 games.  Should we be 4-1 it would mean the OL is rolling for sure.  A 2-3 start will make it an uphill battle the rest of the season to make the playoffs.  What does everyone else think? 

23 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Based upon preseason rankings and the first five games, if we went by that we would go 1-4.  I think we could be anywhere between 4-1 and 0-5 after 5 games, but my prediction will be 3-2.  Hoping we are at least 3-2 after those 5 games.  Should we be 4-1 it would mean the OL is rolling for sure.  A 2-3 start will make it an uphill battle the rest of the season to make the playoffs.  What does everyone else think? 

4-1...but hoping we can sneak a win in nebraska?

11 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

No question, the trajectory of the season will be determined early.  3-2 would be a great start IMO.  I have lots of question marks on the offense starting with QB play.  It's not talked about much on here, but I think it may take a while for the defense to gel after graduating some significant defensive players.  On specials, we don't have a proven field goal kicker which always affects some of the coaching calculus.

The home game vs UNI will be a pivotal game in so many ways and will likely tell us all where Bubba's program is really at.  Win that one and 3-2 is likely, with 4-1 a possibility.  Lose that one and 1-4 and even 0-5 is not out of the question. 

Most teams play better at home than on the road.  And that definitely holds true for UND.  In the Bubba era, we are 31-9 at home and 15-28 on the road during the regular season.  In our last 15 mone games, we are 14-1.  In our last 15 road games, we are 3-12.  Now will this hold true for this season?  Who knows.  But if I were a betting man, I would say that trend continues.

Now, in order to do that, that means we win against UNI and Missouri St, and lost at Nebraska, N. Arizona, and Southern Illinois.  Agree with most on here to say that UNI game is huge.  Sets the tone for the season.  With two straight road games gainst two playoff teams from last year after the UNI game, the confidence level is different when you are 1-1 instead of 0-2.  

My prediction for these first 5 games:

@ Neb - L

UNI - W

@N. Arizona - W

@Southern Illinois - L

Missouri St - W

Wouldn’t be surprised if we are 4-1 . We seriously can’t be any worse than last year so my expectations are high. Offense should be better than last year so that should be a big boost. We have some good talent on the roster so I have a much higher regard than the FCS media.

On 7/31/2022 at 9:12 PM, Sioux94 said:

Way too early to know: injuries, depth chart battles, newcomer assessments, etc. are all pending.

With all that said, best case scenario is 5-0, but most realistic is 4-1, so that’s what I’m hoping for. 

12 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We might not lose a game all year

The exciting part about football this time of the year is you can think that and only "thy holy bizon fans" will tell you otherwise ...

Now, come 9/4/22, I might object as well, but I have no problem giving Bubba and company an opportunity to show what they can do on the field first before I pass judgement. 

• Upvote 2