SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Wrap Up

UND-FB-FAN

The “spring wrap up” is today.

bush league in my opinion. UND still can’t figure out how to do a spring football game at their home venue of the Alerus Center. Would be nice to make an actual event out of it- even if only 1000 or 2000 people show up. Still builds more excitement for the team than another practice in their practice facility. Just my two cents. Hope no one gets hurt. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The “spring wrap up” is today.

bush league in my opinion. UND still can’t figure out how to do a spring football game at their home venue of the Alerus Center. Would be nice to make an actual event out of it- even if only 1000 or 2000 people show up. Still builds more excitement for the team than another practice in their practice facility. Just my two cents. Hope no one gets hurt. 

The days of this type of thing are over.  Would rather they don't do it at all.

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Anyone going? If it was a game I would think about it. 

Bubba has chosen to make it a non event, for whatever reason. They tried things a few years ago like tailgating, a burger competition, that made it worth the drive, but they gave up on it.

Old coach friend was there. Said tough to tell cuz of format. Said Schuster didn’t have great day. He thought Feeney looked good when given time. He thought Klein kid from Mandan made some nice plays. Didn’t notice RBs. Said Receivers looked good. 

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Old coach friend was there. Said tough to tell cuz of format. Said Schuster didn’t have great day. He thought Feeney looked good when given time. He thought Klein kid from Mandan made some nice plays. Didn’t notice RBs. Said Receivers looked good. 

Thanks for recap . Wanted to make it up today in person. Seems like kind of a blah spring.  Maybe that’s a good thing considering all the football in the last year for this team.

Was a conservative approach this spring.   Talked to many, including Trainers who were glad it was "toned" down.   Half of the O-Line were in shorts and jerseys and were banged up.  Didn't do any real "live" hitting as stated as being cautious avoiding injuries and staying healthy.   Work on fundamentals and get better and stay/get healthy.  

Tommy looked alright, Feeney looked better.   Feeney has more zip on his ball (from what I noticed) and was willing to take a chance at some throws.  Wr's looked good, RB's did fine and made some nice plays.  DL looked a bit under sized, but they were quick to the ball.  

As far as facility, I believe there were prospective recruits there as they had name badges at check in for high school kids.  Showcase your facility!  Also, did a games and autograph session with little kids (good PR move) and it is much easier to access field in there versus the Alerus.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Radio guys said UND played 18 games from March to November of 2021, and it could’ve been more if not for games being Covid cancellations. A light spring makes sense in that perspective.

Imagine the wear on NDSU guys playing 15 games every year.

UND minimizes contact in an attempt to avoid injuries. Although a spring game would be more fun, spring FB is geared toward evaluating players to get them in the best position to help the team, improve fundamentals, correct weaknesses, reinforce and fine tune strengths and continue to improve strength and conditioning. You can more effectively utilize your spring with repetitions of what you have improved on rather than standing on the sideline waiting to get a few plays in. The scrimmages are your measuring stick as to how players are progressing and necessary but when you have a number of key players still recuperating from injuries, I would argue not as important as your work with your position coach, and improving speed, strength and fundamentals. Team schemes and scrimmages are also important for your coaching staff to evaluate schemes/plays and how your personnel fit your plan. Can’t do that as well if guys are hurt. 

• Upvote 2

So, a while ago there was a lot of talk about strength and conditioning….where are we on that? Is that included in spring hall? I was thinking of the USA -Russian hockey game…Miracle. Herb Brooks basically beat the Russians with conditioning. A fast paced game and conditioning. No fan of all these supplements but yes, diet is important. Just wondering where we are and what type of facility do we have for S & C?