SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sorry, Cag was a week younger. I'm saying is one of the youngest. My point is that that age is typically reserved for players that are, with the exception of Hain, first round talent (yes, I understand Cag was undrafted). I'm saying I don't think Spicer is that player. We'll see.

I think everyone agrees with you that Spicer isn’t that player.  I think others disagree that being an 18-year old freshman is rare. 

Hain was 18 (2 months older than Spicer); Caulfield was 18 (3 months older); Mishmash was 18 (4 months older). Those are just the most recent players coming from the NTDP, like Spicer would have.  None of them were first rounders, but all 18 year-old freshman. 

But seeing where Hain, Caulfield, and Mishmash are at in their careers, perhaps Spicer could use another year. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I think everyone agrees with you that Spicer isn’t that player.  I think others disagree that being an 18-year old freshman is rare. 

Hain was 18 (2 months older than Spicer); Caulfield was 18 (3 months older); Mishmash was 18 (4 months older). Those are just the most recent players coming from the NTDP, like Spicer would have.  None of them were first rounders, but all 18 year-old freshman. 

But seeing where Hain, Caulfield, and Mishmash are at in their careers, perhaps Spicer could use another year. 

The point of my 18 year old comp was about him being the youngest player since Toews (I didn't realize Cag was younger) to come in to UND, making that talent rare. Schmaltz, Cag, Boeser are all good examples. No need to overthink this.

Trying to develop the understanding that losing Spicer sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

3 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Not really though. Plenty of 18-year old forwards recently. Boeser, Hain, Schmaltz, Caggiula, and the list goes on. Moreover, Caggiula has a later June birthday than Spicer. 

I think the bigger problem in an era where older teams seem to be in the mix at the end of the year (see Minnesota’s whining), is that we most likely will have two other guys coming of high school age, and McGlaughlin is a 2003 birthdate, so it wasn’t a great scenario to bring in another, especially with the number of returning forwards.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The point of my 18 year old comp was about him being the youngest player since Toews (I didn't realize Cag was younger) to come in to UND, making that talent rare. Schmaltz, Cag, Boeser are all good examples. No need to overthink this.

I’m not. 

13 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We just wanted the kid, who would be the first 18 year old forward to come into UND since Jonny Toews, to play one more year in junior. Spicer made his decision. 

A few people (myself included) were confused by your claim that Spicer would have been the first 18-year old forward at UND since Toews.

I was only pointing out that there have been numerous 18-year old forwards at UND recently. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I’m not. 

A few people (myself included) were confused by your claim that Spicer would have been the first 18-year old forward at UND since Toews.

I was only pointing out that there have been numerous 18-year old forwards at UND recently. 

Finally a voice of reason

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Just switch Judd with James and good to go 

With our depth, I really like the idea of James skating against other teams 3rd and 4th liners. We’ll probably be rolling 4 lines most weeks. Judd isn’t my favorite guy on a scoring line, but he’s still got a chance to prove he can step up.

9 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

With our depth, I really like the idea of James skating against other teams 3rd and 4th liners. We’ll probably be rolling 4 lines most weeks. Judd isn’t my favorite guy on a scoring line, but he’s still got a chance to prove he can step up.

3 uninspired years hasn't been enough of an opportunity? No way he should get top 6 minutes next season. 

Unique size, skating and skill combo but not much to show for it at UND so far.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I’m not. 

Like I said and corrected, I meant to say/should have said he would have been the youngest since Toews (although I missed Cag). It was meant to be a comp between Spicer and Toews. Sorry for the confusion. 

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

3 uninspired years hasn't been enough of an opportunity? No way he should get top 6 minutes next season. 

Unique size, skating and skill combo but not much to show for it at UND so far.

Caulfield scored the same number of goals, and just one fewer assist in his junior season as did Luke Johnson in his third and final season. And Johnson played more games.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Caulfield scored the same number of goals, and just one fewer assist in his junior season as did Luke Johnson in his third and final season. And Johnson played more games.

Luke Johson......that's the hill you're going to die on??

Anyone here think Spicer wouldn't have put up 20-25 points in his 3rd year?

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Like I said and corrected, I meant to say/should have said he would have been the youngest since Toews (although I missed Cag). It was meant to be a comp between Spicer and Toews. Sorry for the confusion. 

David Toews might be the better comparison. (June birthday before his 18-year old freshman season).  Guys like D Toews, Brad Malone, Michael Forney, and Drake Caggiula all had birthdays within a month of Spicer’s before their 18-year old freshman seasons. Worked out for some; not for others. 

Jonny Toews is a different ballpark.  He played his LAST game at UND as an 18-year old. 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Given the history pointed out here, asking Spicer to go to the USHL for a season was prudent for his development.

Dare I say Spicer’s decision to my eyes is imprudent. 

Right?  If I recall correctly, seeing how similar their stat lines were during their last year at NTDP and how things have shaped out for all three of them since then is rather telling of how things could go for Spicer. 

However, I think I’d roll the dice with a freshman Spicer over a senior Budy. 

Player's final season with US national team and first season with UND

Season    Team    League    GP    G    A    Pts    PIM    +/-
2016-17    U.S. National USHL    26    8    16    24    44    12 Grant Mismash
2017-18    U.S. National USHL    25    7    11    18    14    11 Gavin Hain
2018-19    U.S. National USHL    28    6    19    25    18    11 Judd Caulfield
2021-22    U.S. National USHL    26    10    6    16    10    5 Cole Spicer 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017-18    U. of North Dakota    NCHC    38    9    13    22    35    4 Grant Mishmash
2018-19    U. of North Dakota    NCHC    31    6    3    9    28    16 Gavin Hain 
2019-20    U. of North Dakota    NCHC    29    4    8    12    7    13 Judd Caulfield

They all could have used a season in the USHL. 

I'm not sure if it's been said here or not, but there seems to be a stigma within the NTDP kids about playing a year of juniors instead of going directly to college.  

As @The Sicatoka mentioned above, we have seen our share at UND that could have used more time in juniors, but instead came right away.

I mean you have your Cooleys and Zegras type kids that don't need that extra year and won't miss a beat, but then you have a kid like Scheel where we know what another year of development did for the kid instead of jumping in too soon. 

• Upvote 1