SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You can teach skilled players how to play defense and kill penalties. You cannot teach players with average skills (a.k.a. "grindaz") how to score goals and create offense. Recruit the most talented kids you can and coach them up on defense and other fundamentals.

I agree with this. But, it's a pattern that he hasn't unlearned whatsoever through his first year in college hockey. We could have taken the good with the bad, but he apparently wasn't worth the "risk". Would we have been so bummed about him had he just been another guy at UMass this year? Nope. We'll see what happens this year and moving forward without his guy that bailed him out all year on his pair. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I mean if you want a guy that gets all the recruits we could investigate Mel Pearson as an option… there’s a chance he’s searching soon

He can't even get to the title game with the most talented college hockey team in the history of the sport!
We don't want him!

;) :D 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I mean if you want a guy that gets all the recruits we could investigate Mel Pearson as an option… there’s a chance he’s searching soon

Motzko is getting them too. The sky isn't falling on UND, but we need to be getting studs from the Canadian prairie to make up for missing on blue chips from the cities.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The problem with this premise is that we didn't miss. We just wanted the kid, who would be the first 18 year old forward to come into UND since Jonny Toews, to play one more year in junior. Spicer made his decision. 

I think he's gonna be a solid college player, but he got passed up by other recruits that basically every other poster on here adore. UND felt he wasn't ready. We'll see if he is, unfortunately. 

What do you mean by this?

Alright.  Update on the kids that are coming in next season.  Spicer situation sucks, but he won't be here.

Ben Strinden:  25 goals, 30 assists. 

Jackson Blake: 25 goals, 50 assists.

Owen McLaughlin: 28 goals, 43 assists.

Dylan James:  27 goals, 33 assists.

Blake looking to be the next Nick Schmaltz type feeder guy on the top unit, with McLaughlin your likely 2nd line center.  

Watching Blake on a line with Gaber could give us flashbacks to his dad playing with David Hoogsteen.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Sounds like 4 pretty impressive freshmen forwards are coming in next year, all ranked in the top 20 in ushl scoring one of them being a rookie in the league. I’m pretty excited to see their game translate myself. 

So is everybody else. Hopefully some more finishers at the NCAA level emerge beyond Gaber.

7 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

What do you mean by this?

Had Spicer come in next year, he'd be the youngest forward since Toews to play for UND. Spicer isn't Toews. He's not ready.

Not really though. Plenty of 18-year old forwards recently. Boeser, Hain, Schmaltz, Caggiula, and the list goes on. Moreover, Caggiula has a later June birthday than Spicer. 

So forwards for next year:  Possibly 17 at the moment?  

Frosh:  Blake, Strinden, McLaughlin, James. 

Soph:  Matteo, Montgomery, Kunz, Schmaltz, Portz.

Juniors: Jammer, Ness, Gaber

Seniors: Judd, Budy, Albrecht

Super Seniors:  Hain, Senden.

I put James on the list only because he topped 60 points as a rookie in the USHL which is rare.  He has to be in next year right?

25 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Not really though. Plenty of 18-year old forwards recently. Boeser, Hain, Schmaltz, Caggiula, and the list goes on. Moreover, Caggiula has a later June birthday than Spicer. 

The list of players younger than Spicer does not go on, though.  It is two players long since Hakstol took over, Toews and Caggiula.  That's it.  

• Like 1

Had Spicer come in next year, he'd be the youngest forward since Toews to play for UND. Spicer isn't Toews. He's not ready.

Okay, but a forward coming in at 18 years old has happened quite a few times over the years. It's really not that rare.

46 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Lines

Gaber-schmaltz-Blake

matteo-Mcl-Judd

Hain-Senden-Jammer

Kunz-Strinden-James

I expect these forwards to be consistently in the lineup. 

the defense is most obvious.

could Budy or Albrecht be our Gaarder or Coltyn Sanderson in the regionals?

Like wasn’t enough, sign me up for these lines. Clean up one or two from the group that isn’t part of the four lines to get to 15 or 16 Forwards and I really like this forward group. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

Exactly.  Spicer would have been yet another 18-year old freshman.  Not rare at all. 

Sorry, Cag was a week younger. I'm saying is one of the youngest. My point is that that age is typically reserved for players that are, with the exception of Hain, first round talent (yes, I understand Cag was undrafted). I'm saying I don't think Spicer is that player. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Lines

Gaber-schmaltz-Blake

matteo-Mcl-Judd

Hain-Senden-Jammer

Kunz-Strinden-James

You forgot Constantini, or did something happen that I don’t know about

1 hour ago, jk said:

The list of players younger than Spicer does not go on, though.  It is two players long since Hakstol took over, Toews and Caggiula.  That's it.  

Thank you. 18 year old freshman are typically incredibly special. I don't think Spicer is there yet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Lines

Gaber-schmaltz-Blake

matteo-Mcl-Judd

Hain-Senden-Jammer

Kunz-Strinden-James

Just switch Judd with James and good to go 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sorry, Cag was a week younger. I'm saying is one of the youngest. My point is that that age is typically reserved for players that are, with the exception of Hain, first round talent (yes, I understand Cag was undrafted). I'm saying I don't think Spicer is that player. We'll see.

I believe they originally had Cagguila slated to come in the following season but with Brock Nelson blowing up his sophomore season like he did and Grimaldi dealing witha serious injury the previous season and being unsure how quickly he would recover they brought Drake in a year earlier than planned.

• Upvote 4