Costantini - McLaughlin - Calder
Kunz - Jamernik - Caulfield
Portz - Ness - Albrecht

Frisch - Johnson
Kleven - Jandric
Moore - Bast

Hellsten
Hedquist

That’s a solid lineup next year. James will come in and so may Spicer. Need to find a dman to come in. If not, here’s hoping Johnson takes a big jump (which he might). I think Moore is a guy how may take a big jump heading into his upperclassman years. I could see Kunz taking a big step too.

Biggest need (from that lineup) is probably goalies. I’m assuming we’ll bring in someone.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

That’s a solid lineup next year. James will come in and so may Spicer. Need to find a dman to come in. If not, here’s hoping Johnson takes a big jump (which he might). I think Moore is a guy how may take a big jump heading into his upperclassman years. I could see Kunz taking a big step too.

Biggest need (from that lineup) is probably goalies. I’m assuming we’ll bring in someone.

Berry has a couple extra weeks of headstart on the other coaches to bring some quality players in. 

This will be an interesting off-season, because from my point of view, this seems like a very easy puzzle to put together. You have a lot of great pieces currently on the roster as well as signed to come in. You put them together and you have a team that will contend for a # 1 seed.

Leaving:

Seniors: UND needs to move on from the Seniors that took place on Senior night (Senden, Hain, Ford, Driscoll). Some have eligibility, some don't, but like last year, those that took part that was their moment.

Early Departures (NHL): Sanderson. UND needs to keep the list at that. This is another crucial component. Others will have offers. 

Transfer Portal: I won't name the name, but there's one Forward that clearly sticks out as someone who never materialized into the roll he was brought in to play. Hope that a fresh start does both well.

Total: 4 Forwards, 1 Defense, 1 Goalie

Incoming:

Forwards: Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden / James. Very straight forward. 3 guys that will be brought in as Top 6 potential and a very good bottom 6 center.

Defense: Not sure where they go here. I would prefer to go with a Freshman. Returning so much, you'll be able to bring him along slowly. 

Goaltending: Coaches call. I've been wanting Hedquist, but the Portal for goalies is pretty enticing. 

If those pieces come together, you have a team that will be a #1 seed and has a realistic chance as any at a Championship. Talking out loud here, but that being the case, I might start to lean towards going after a proven goalie from the portal. If you can grab one of the Top proven goalies (CC / MSU goalie), that solidifies that position.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like Hain and Senden both. Good players, good guys. Senden probably won’t come back and although I like Hains game a lot. He seems to get injured a lot though and I would hate to take up a spot if that happens again next year.  

• Upvote 1

I think this team needs to shop in the portal for both a goalie and a d man. My big hope is that Jake Schmaltz (and Brent Johnson) goes on the Nick Schmaltz freshman to sophomore diet and comes back 15-20 lbs heavier. His skill is there he just needs the strength to make a big jump like Nick obviously had after year 1. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

My Ferris Bueller 31 flavors sources tell me Hain is coming back.

I'm reserving strong reactions until I see if the portal comes into play. If Hain staying then means another current (bottom 6) Forward to the portal, then I can get behind that. Hain is a great bottom 6 guy. This team NEEDS guys that are legitimate Top 6 NCHC Forwards and Hain is not that. 

Edit: I used the Term Top 6 / Bottom 6, but. For UND, you want to go Top 9 / Bottom 3. Most guys can play a solid two way game. This forward group needs more skill.

Just now, I Ranger said:

I think this team needs to shop in the portal for both a goalie and a d man. My big hope is that Jake Schmaltz (and Brent Johnson) goes on the Nick Schmaltz freshman to sophomore diet and comes back 15-20 lbs heavier. His skill is there he just needs the strength to make a big jump like Nick obviously had after year 1. 

I think this D-core is borderline elite next year if only Sanderson goes. Looking at the regional line chart, where would you want a portal guy to fit in?

Kleven (JR) - Frisch (SR)

Jandric (GR) - Bast (SO)

Moore (JR) - Johnson (SO)

Ferner (SR)

This seems like the perfect position to bring in a Freshman. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

Berry has a couple extra weeks of headstart on the other coaches to bring some quality players in. 

Yes he does. Boy I was shocked at seeing what he’s done prior to that first year natty. I’m all in on Bubs, but that track record is starting to look really iffy. 

3 hours ago, AJS said:

This will be an interesting off-season, because from my point of view, this seems like a very easy puzzle to put together. You have a lot of great pieces currently on the roster as well as signed to come in. You put them together and you have a team that will contend for a # 1 seed.

Leaving:

Seniors: UND needs to move on from the Seniors that took place on Senior night (Senden, Hain, Ford, Driscoll). Some have eligibility, some don't, but like last year, those that took part that was their moment.

Early Departures (NHL): Sanderson. UND needs to keep the list at that. This is another crucial component. Others will have offers. 

Transfer Portal: I won't name the name, but there's one Forward that clearly sticks out as someone who never materialized into the roll he was brought in to play. Hope that a fresh start does both well.

Incoming:

Forwards: Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden / James. Very straight forward. 3 guys that will be brought in as Top 6 potential and a very good bottom 6 center.

Defense: Not sure where they go here. I would prefer to go with a Freshman. Returning so much, you'll be able to bring him along slowly. 

Goaltending: Coaches call. I've been wanting Hedquist, but the Portal for goalies is pretty enticing. 

If those pieces come together, you have a team that will be a #1 seed and has a realistic chance as any at a Championship. Talking out loud here, but that being the case, I might start to lean towards going after a proven goalie from the portal. If you can grab one of the Top proven goalies (CC / MSU goalie), that solidifies that position.

Interesting no one is mentioning Spicer. I’m not saying he HS to come in, but he easily could. 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I think this D-core is borderline elite next year if only Sanderson goes. Looking at the regional line chart, where would you want a portal guy to fit in?

Kleven (JR) - Frisch (SR)

Jandric (GR) - Bast (SO)

Moore (JR) - Johnson (SO)

Ferner (SR)

This seems like the perfect position to bring in a Freshman. 

I wouldn't mind seeing one of each especially with our injury history! It seems to me we should maybe abandon the typical 15F-8D roster approach and maybe carry an extra forward and D since we seem to have serious injury issues every F'n year! 

21 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Interesting no one is mentioning Spicer. I’m not saying he HS to come in, but he easily could. 

I kind of see Spicer as a Jackson Kunz/ Dane Montgomery situation, he will probably be better served to play another year in Juniors, but if we need him, we can bring him in. The reason Mankato always does so well, is because many of their players are men playing against really young men that need some more weight and strength added. Many of their players have several years of junior hockey under their belt.   Unless a player is a draft pick that will be a major threat to leave early, another year of juniors will only make it that more likely that they can make an impact when they do come in.  

36 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

My opinion, I think he sits 5th on the Forward recruit pecking order. The way I laid it out, I think you can get to 4 FR forwards fairly easily (3 Seniors / 1 Portal), after that it seems to become more difficult. 

13 hours ago, Green Banner said:

Kleven should stay but he may leave due to his physical play

Where did this narrative come in? I've heard this on that God awful Facebook group, but I've never heard a sniff of this anywhere credible. If Kleven goes, it's because the kid is beast size wise, would be able to handle his own in that realm, and has grown a really nice offensive game. 

My hunch, and from what I've heard over the past couple of weeks is that he'll come back, but we'll see.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Where did this narrative come in? I've heard this on that God awful Facebook group, but I've never heard a sniff of this anywhere credible. If Kleven goes, it's because the kid is beast size wise, would be able to handle his own in that realm, and has grown a really nice offensive game. 

My hunch, and from what I've heard over the past couple of weeks is that he'll come back, but we'll see.

Is he an Ottawa draft pick?  That might not bode well for him sticking around. 

12 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I think he could come in, he’s already played half a college season. But, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him play a year of USHL puck if he goes really late in the draft. Go play a ton and put up big numbers.

I think he goes the the USHL and I agree, would be great for his stock if he did.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Leaving:

Incoming:

I think we'll go depth D in the portal and not bring in a freshman D, but I think your logic is perfect. The rest of that, I love. Totally agree. No reason we won't be a player big time this year. Love the outlook for 23-24, too. Imagine if Gaber stays all four.... 

3 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I thought they were hurting for D men.

They're hurting for a whole team lol. Doesn't mean the need to hot shot him. Could they? No doubt and I bet they'll offer Kleven, but I think he should stay... I'm obviously biased lol.