SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ WMU - Saturday Game Day - Let's get a win in 2022!

brianvf

Just so disappointed with the lack of skill, speed, and overall talent on this team. Right now we aren’t recruiting at the level we should be and need to be. I do like what we have coming next year in guys like Blake, Spicer, and McLaughlin but our classes aren’t consistently at the top or that level like they should be. I don’t what the exact reason is but at North Dakota it can’t be bring in a average class, good class, average, great it needs to be consistently good/great. Having to bring in guys like Ford, Calder, Ferber, and Jandric and have them play a big role should’ve been a major red flag. Elite programs are hitting the portal for like one guy and it’s the top guys or maybe a goalie and they usually end playing a role. Look at Michaud with us last year, look at Cruikshank at Minnesota. Like I said I do like what we should have coming next year but looking more to the future it feels like the pipeline should be a lot more stocked with talent then it is and the staff is either just behind the pace that other elite programs are working at by choice or for some other reason but it doesn’t seem good.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Washburn Sioux said:

Western had a lot of their players return for their 5th season. Imagine the difference if we could have had all of our players that left, return for this season, would have been completely different. Still sucks regardless.

imagine if we had a world class university, city, and arena to recruit to.....or just be western michigan

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Having to bring in guys like Ford, Calder, Ferber, and Jandric and have them play a big role should’ve been a major red flag. Elite programs are hitting the portal for like one guy and it’s the top guys or maybe a goalie and they usually end playing a role.

We had to bring in those portal guys because we lost a ton after last year.  A ton.
We lost more than any other program in the NCAA.  If we didn't bring in all the transfers, we'd have 14 freshmen on the roster right now.

I had higher hopes for this year than what the team is showing now, but UND is still an elite program.  We had the #1 team in the nation the last two years in a row...something was bound to give when all those talented players graduated or left for the NHL.

This season isn't lost yet, but it certainly is teetering.  Hopefully they can right the ship and at least make the NCAA's.
Next season should be better when we're bringing in more talent and potentially only losing Sanderson.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

We had to bring in those portal guys because we lost a ton after last year.  A ton.
We lost more than any other program in the NCAA.  If we didn't bring in all the transfers, we'd have 14 freshmen on the roster right now.

I had higher hopes for this year than what the team is showing now, but UND is still an elite program.  We had the #1 team in the nation the last two years in a row...something was bound to give when all those talented players graduated or left for the NHL.

This season isn't lost yet, but it certainly is teetering.  Hopefully they can right the ship and at least make the NCAA's.
Next season should be better when we're bringing in more talent and potentially only losing Sanderson.

I understand we lost a lot off a loaded team last year my issue is why didn’t we have a couple stud freshmen in the pipeline? Those should be the guys stepping into the big roles lost by nhl signings not guys like Calder and Ford, those guys are the supplemental pieces. It just feels to me like we aren’t consistently bringing in the talent we should and that goes on this staff. I’m really not sure the issue because you have the history, tradition, facilities, amenities everything a top prospect could want so I don’t know if the staff is just getting out worked, slow on the process, lazy, not identifying talent, bad relationships or what.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I understand we lost a lot off a loaded team last year my issue is why didn’t we have a couple stud freshmen in the pipeline? Those should be the guys stepping into the big roles lost by nhl signings not guys like Calder and Ford, those guys are the supplemental pieces. It just feels to me like we aren’t consistently bringing in the talent we should and that goes on this staff. I’m really not sure the issue because you have the history, tradition, facilities, amenities everything a top prospect could want so I don’t know if the staff is just getting out worked, slow on the process, lazy, not identifying talent, bad relationships or what.

This!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I think we showed that this weekend.  :( 

Hellsten only gave up one goal so not his fault.  I like Hellsten and we need to play him from here on out.  Driscoll has been given every chance to succeed and now it's time to give the Swede the same opportunity.  We need to play the Swede.

1 minute ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Hellsten only gave up one goal so not his fault.  I like Hellsten and we need to play him from here on out.  Driscoll has been given every chance to succeed and now it's time to give the Swede the same opportunity.  We need to play the Swede.

I agree, it can't hurt.

2 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I understand we lost a lot off a loaded team last year my issue is why didn’t we have a couple stud freshmen in the pipeline? Those should be the guys stepping into the big roles lost by nhl signings not guys like Calder and Ford, those guys are the supplemental pieces.

Yeah I get your point for sure.
To be fair to guys like Calder and Ford, those two had tied for the NCAA lead in goals last year.  We need those two and Gaber to be putting the puck in the net a heck of a lot more.  But right now no one is for this team.

Berry needs to be doing a full-court press to land Logan Cooley right now for next season.
That'd be a huge stepping stone to get some "blue chippah" forward talent & depth on the roster moving forward.