SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ WMU - Saturday Game Day - Let's get a win in 2022!

brianvf

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Yeah I get your point for sure.
To be fair to guys like Calder and Ford, those two had tied for the NCAA lead in goals last year.  We need those two and Gaber to be putting the puck in the net a heck of a lot more.  But right now no one is for this team.

Berry needs to be doing a full-court press to land Logan Cooley right now for next season.
That'd be a huge stepping stone to get some "blue chippah" forward talent & depth on the roster moving forward.

Cooley? No way…he’s Switzerland, Mich or BC.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yeah I get your point for sure.
To be fair to guys like Calder and Ford, those two had tied for the NCAA lead in goals last year.  We need those two and Gaber to be putting the puck in the net a heck of a lot more.  But right now no one is for this team.

Berry needs to be doing a full-court press to land Logan Cooley right now for next season.
That'd be a huge stepping stone to get some "blue chippah" forward talent & depth on the roster moving forward.

Not a chance Cooley is choosing UND. 

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

I understand we lost a lot off a loaded team last year my issue is why didn’t we have a couple stud freshmen in the pipeline? Those should be the guys stepping into the big roles lost by nhl signings not guys like Calder and Ford, those guys are the supplemental pieces. It just feels to me like we aren’t consistently bringing in the talent we should and that goes on this staff. I’m really not sure the issue because you have the history, tradition, facilities, amenities everything a top prospect could want so I don’t know if the staff is just getting out worked, slow on the process, lazy, not identifying talent, bad relationships or what.

They went elsewhere…or we’re committed to bringing in the kids we initially gave offers to. Morrow and Rizzo lost spots.

1 hour ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Blue Chippas can also buy into the culture i.e Jonathan Toews and T. J. Oshie among a long laundry list of others.  High talent elite players that are Sioux through and through.

Wait so people are finally buying in we need more Blue chippaz then grindaz

This lands on the coaching staff, lack of discipline, team focus or just lack of talent. Friday implodes , lack of team speed and not scoring is very big problems with this team but the coaching staff doesn’t believe this are issues. I remember how long it took Berry to react to Rhett Gardners lack of discipline , can’t be good coach all the time. 

With about six weeks to go it now becomes a race for home ice at this point. The Penrose seems like a mirage even though UND is only three points away. Denver and UND are heading in two opposite directions.  #3,4,5 seems to be our likely landing spot. 

The first half of the season was impressive but considering sweeps over Miami and CC (albeit both on the road), we had to figure tougher tests were coming.  The boys were 4-2 vs everyone else in the league. 

Game plan: Get healthy, play smarter, stick with Hellsten, adjust to life without Jake for a while, and return to playing Sioux Hockey.  Get to NCAAs and see what this team is made of. 

• Upvote 1

The team did not play bad this weekend just not great....kinda like getting to the 20 yard line and throwing an interception.......nevermind anyway they need to get to the net more....drive to the net.....stop the pulling up and going backwards. I don't thing this year is written off yet...

• Upvote 1

What happened to our passing? That seemed to be clicking before the break, and now it has vanished. Initially I thought it could be covid ravaging the team, but they should be over that by now. Without our passing prowess, we degenerate to dump and chase hockey. And even worse, no-look passes that go to the opponent. Too much of that. Coupled with stupid O-zone stick penalties and sketchy defense and you have a recipe for failure.

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

We had to bring in those portal guys because we lost a ton after last year.  A ton.
We lost more than any other program in the NCAA.  If we didn't bring in all the transfers, we'd have 14 freshmen on the roster right now.

I had higher hopes for this year than what the team is showing now, but UND is still an elite program.  We had the #1 team in the nation the last two years in a row...something was bound to give when all those talented players graduated or left for the NHL.

This season isn't lost yet, but it certainly is teetering.  Hopefully they can right the ship and at least make the NCAA's.
Next season should be better when we're bringing in more talent and potentially only losing Sanderson.

Didn’t Cornell have something like 14 freshman on their roster?

They are in a slump, it happens. Two months ago, this board was on fire with the ‘we cannot be beat’, now it’s the mail it in crowd. Good lord, lots of hockey left, you think these kids don’t read this board? I can hear it now, ‘I hope they do, fire them up, maybe they will play some Sioux hockey (which will put them in the box for half the game)’…

50 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

They are in a slump, it happens. Two months ago, this board was on fire with the ‘we cannot be beat’, now it’s the mail it in crowd. Good lord, lots of hockey left, you think these kids don’t read this board? I can hear it now, ‘I hope they do, fire them up, maybe they will play some Sioux hockey (which will put them in the box for half the game)’…

Well hawk hockey isn’t cutting it