SiouxSports.com Forum

West Illinois VS UND Homecoming week

Nodak78

I know we should all pick out team apart here in the name of “keeping it real “ but.. 

* Otis was rolling today.. fun to watch.. running and catching.  They should throw him the ball more

* defense played great against and offense that has shredded some teams.  One bad play that allowed 6 after a dumb running into the punter penalty.  Holding them them to 10 is pretty damn good. 

* kicker made all kicks.. looked good 

* I liked the offense looks with both QBs.. Quincy looked good.. but so did Tommy. 

* time management at the end of the half was annoying.. 

I was happy with the performance but not totally satisfied.. but man.. good D.. solid O.. good special teams.. I’ll take it.

• Upvote 2

Schuster i like alot about his game but the one thing that hurts this team is that he can't seem to run ball when they have good  coverage on his receivers and i don't mean he has  to run alot but he has to do some to keep the defenses honest and free up his receivers.  Vaughn does this for UND but he only is in for a play or two a game so we have no idea how he can manage the team and run offense but we need to get a little out of Schuster what Vaughn brings in when he's quarterback.  This is especially true when we have run into teams that can control our running game and were in passing situations they can drop deep for coverage and let there defense fronts rush without much worry of Schuster slipping out running for yards needed. I got to believe they have to be working on this because limits our offense so much especially in the red zone. Maybe i am not see this right would like to hear what others think.

• Upvote 3

Other than some botched red zone chances, this was a solid game. 2 QB system seems to be working quite well last 2 games. O-line is starting to gel, just needed those reps. Think how young they are. Heck, think how many games our sophomore quarterback has started already. He’ll probably break some records before he graduates. Think of how solid our depth is getting. 4 running backs have  had a 100 yard game. Weren’t both Jalens out today?  And we still had very solid run defense. Had lots of receiving yards with no Maag. Lots to look forward to, even if the 2021 season gets cut short. One thing I’d like to see is some nifty play calls when we need just a few yards. We have seen trick plays go for 25-30 yards, but how nice would it be to pick up that 4th & 2 with something other than a QV keeper or OW run?  Maybe we’re saving those for bigger moments?  Save them too long and the moments won’t be big anymore. 

• Upvote 2

The D was great.

Has there ever been a better secondary in UND history? 10 is there best player. Gavlin, Siegel et al shut him down.

The D line without the Jalens was solid. Seguin, Lennon and McNaboe playing well and the young beef, Orlando and Pierre are stepping up.

Finally, the one guy who's been solid for 4 years that doesn't get much hype is Larson. Smart, tough, makes plays. May not be a Ratelle, but he's what you want in an ILB.

And contrary to an off the cuff opinion by someone mid game, Holinka has been great.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, shep said:

The D was great.

Has there ever been a better secondary in UND history? 10 is there best player. Gavlin, Siegel et al shut him down.

The D line without the Jalens was solid. Seguin, Lennon and McNaboe playing well and the young beef, Orlando and Pierre are stepping up.

Finally, the one guy who's been solid for 4 years that doesn't get much hype is Larson. Smart, tough, makes plays. May not be a Ratelle, but he's what you want in an ILB.

And contrary to an off the cuff opinion by someone mid game, Holinka has been great.

Yup. Holinka isn’t the guy to point fingers at right now. With the exception of the NDSU game the d has gotten better as games go on which is key. They’re the reason we were in those 3 games we lost. The only legit criticism of the d is they often start slow. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yup. Holinka isn’t the guy to point fingers at right now. With the exception of the NDSU game the d has gotten better as games go on which is key. They’re the reason we were in those 3 games we lost. The only legit criticism of the d is they often start slow. 

That last part is a good point. Causes of the slow starts? Surprised what the O is doing or just missed assignments by the players?

1 hour ago, shep said:

That last part is a good point. Causes of the slow starts? Surprised what the O is doing or just missed assignments by the players?

I haven’t the slightest clue. Someone at the game with us yesterday brought up a good point that OCs have all week to plan the perfect first couple drives.

13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The defense had a very nice game today. Caleb Nelson is turning into a player. He had an outstanding game. 
Im not sure what’s going on with our red zone offense though. Should have hung 50 today easy. That needs to get figured out ASAP. Call me crazy, and I’m usually very much against this sort of thing, but I think the 2 qb stuff works for us. Can’t put my finger on it but it seems to give the o a little extra juice.

It “works” for UND because it is their identity, it’s what they do via Freund. Now, is it the best way to develop the QB position and bolster the offense? I don’t think so - it’s absent around the country for a reason. I think it hurts leadership and development at QB position, but Freund is the QB coach, so I guess he knows best …

I still stand by the old adage: if you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback. Obviously, if you have a good QB, you play him the entire time. Indirect proof neither Schuster or Vaughn is good enough to get the job done. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Nothing like a 34-10 win, dominating in basically every stat possible (600 YARDS OF OFFENSE), to continue the vendetta against Tommy. Never change siouxsports, never change.

The assessment of him is what it is, regardless of how the entire team does around him. UND’s TEAM is better than WIU’s TEAM, as expected. The player assessment/grade/evaluation, whatever you want to call it, is independent of team result. A “vendetta” only exists in the minds of those who blindly support Bubba and his program. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, shep said:

The D was great.

I agree. The UND defense in the Alerus Center is damn near championship quality, if not already. very impressed 

Just need defense to travel a bit better. The offense and special teams is not at championship caliber yet, though. Hopefully a few more players will get them there soon.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Agree, Wouldn’t blame UND defense at all. In NDSU game, defense  did tire a bit but that is expected with no offensive help. Und defense was the only reason that game stayed close. 

14 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

The last couple recruiting class been real good.  I also noticed Orlando with huge push on the line.

I thought the d-line played great yesterday! Watching those sophomore and redshirt freshmen d-linemen roll gave me a lot a hope for the rest of this year and the coming years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Has anyone else been really impressed with our fr LBs when they get in there? They really look the part and have made some good plays. 

And correct me if I'm wrong, but McNeal has the redshirt still firmly on. I think he's gonna be a stud.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, shep said:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but McNeal has the redshirt still firmly on. I think he's gonna be a stud.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe the plan is for any FR to use their redshirt. I can’t remember the last time that has happened. Finally building depth.

• Upvote 2