SiouxSports.com Forum

The all-new CCHA 2021-22

BigGreyAnt41

My ideal scenario would be Western / Miami goes to the new CCHA, Bemidji and Mankato replaces them in the NCHC. Who (outside of Western) says no? Waive any type of exit fee. It just makes sense. It would be more financially viable for all schools. Creating for the most part two bus leagues. Travel costs goes down, you'd see a slight uptick in ticket sales as easy road trips for the majority of schools fan base.

If Western doesn't want to leave, then keep them and replace Miami with Mankato. It just makes too much sense for everyone to not do it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, bale31 said:

95% of fans and the administra ton would move to the nchc in a second. In fact, I heard (not sure if it's completely true or not), that msu told the other schools when the ccha was formed that we were still going to make the push to join the nchc.

It just makes sense for us. There is little fan excitement about playing Ferris or bg or lssu. There just isn't a natural rivalry with them.

Have you heard (or has anyone else) about the number of conference games the CCHA will play?

If there's a 24 game conference season, that leaves 10 non-conference games and much more room for interesting games to come to Mankato.

To the point of number of games ...

Eight teams is optimal for a conference. You play seven opponents four times each for 28 conference games. 

In a world of six hockey conference (HEA, AHA, ECAC, B1G, W(C)CHA, NCHC) it'd be nice to play two games against each other conference (however you'd do it). That's ten games. 

The NCAA needs to raise the games limit to 38 per season. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

My ideal scenario would be Western / Miami goes to the new CCHA, Bemidji and Mankato replaces them in the NCHC. Who (outside of Western) says no? Waive any type of exit fee. It just makes sense. It would be more financially viable for all schools. Creating for the most part two bus leagues. Travel costs goes down, you'd see a slight uptick in ticket sales as easy road trips for the majority of schools fan base.

If Western doesn't want to leave, then keep them and replace Miami with Mankato. It just makes too much sense for everyone to not do it. 

no

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Dumbest post of the year award

back to square one with little budget schools out numbering big budget schools on votes 

If NCHC replaces WMU and Miami with Mankato and Bemidji, can we all agree the "National" was a huge mistake?  It's literally the old WCHA minus Minnesota, Wisconsin, Anchorage, and Michigan Tech.

At this rate, might as well ask MTU to come back, bring the McNaughton, and we can right this wrong by renaming the league the WCHA.

39 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Have you heard (or has anyone else) about the number of conference games the CCHA will play?

If there's a 24 game conference season, that leaves 10 non-conference games and much more room for interesting games to come to Mankato.

I believe its 24. There are a bunch of tech fans upset with it, but they are very much focused on the expense side of things rather than the idea of growing the pie.

25 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Dumbest post of the year award

back to square one with little budget schools out numbering big budget schools on votes 

Are Miami and would bigger budgets than msu? I would imagine it's close to even.

19 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

If NCHC replaces WMU and Miami with Mankato and Bemidji, can we all agree the "National" was a huge mistake?  It's literally the old WCHA minus Minnesota, Wisconsin, Anchorage, and Michigan Tech.

At this rate, might as well ask MTU to come back, bring the McNaughton, and we can right this wrong by renaming the league the WCHA.

I think you could make an argument that the nchc didn't turn out to be what the schools expected. I wouldn't necessarily call it a mistake, but not the financial windfall that was expected. 

In my view, the nchc schools overestimated the size of the college hockey niche, at least as it stands today. They expected to be able to make a truly national conference, but overestimated the amount of interest that the market would bear. Very few markets have the financial potential of und in terms of fan support in relation to size of school. Und is unique in that standpoint and expecting the same from any non-p5 conference schools is probably unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

I doubt it, Miami is a MAC School. 

I mean, the coachs' salary's are all about even. Hastings is $350K, Murray is $300K and Blasi's last year was about $365K (I couldn't find Bergereon's). I know it's only coaches, but I guess my assumption is the rest of the budgets would be relatively equal. For what it's worth, Hastings is quite a bit above Brett Larson, too.

Really surprised by the pushback from my post. I thought that would have been the general consensus. For those against it, is it both Bemidji and Mankato for Western / Miami? Would you support a Miami for Mankato switch?

The NCHC was formed to compete with the Big 10 as the fear at the time was you would have big schools with big budgets and they would basically take over power in college hockey. That never came to fruition. The Big 10 is on the upswing, but we have enough data to know that the original fears will never truly materialize. 

Let's start over with Miami for Mankato. Who says no (outside of Bemidji and Western)? UND is trading one flight for a bus trip. NCHC Tournament there's one more team within close proximity. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

Really surprised by the pushback from my post. I thought that would have been the general consensus. For those against it, is it both Bemidji and Mankato for Western / Miami? Would you support a Miami for Mankato switch?

The NCHC was formed to compete with the Big 10 as the fear at the time was you would have big schools with big budgets and they would basically take over power in college hockey. That never came to fruition. The Big 10 is on the upswing, but we have enough data to know that the original fears will never truly materialize. 

Let's start over with Miami for Mankato. Who says no (outside of Bemidji and Western)? UND is trading one flight for a bus trip. NCHC Tournament there's one more team within close proximity. 

Sill NO

und wants to align it self with d1 schools in all sports 

2nd dumbest post of the year

3 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Lmfao

Miami is at $38million

mankota is $17 millions

yeah very close pal!

You need to compare hockey budget to hockey budget. Comparing the overall athletic budget is completely irrelevant to this.

Purely from a fan standpoint I would be ok with swapping Mankato for Miami.

As stated this doesn't necessarily benefit the conference as a whole in terms of size of schools/programs/budgets. But they have done a tremendous job building that program and are fun to watch.

I like watching Western play. They are always physical and tough to play against. 

19 minutes ago, AJS said:

What are they doing in the NCHC then?

NCHC DI schools: UND, DU, WMU, Miami, UNO
NCHC DII schools: UMD, SCSU
NCHC DIII schools: CC 

WCHA DI schools: BGSU
WCHA DII schools: MSU-M, LSS, BSU, MTU, NMU, FSU, UAH(?) 

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NCHC DI schools: UND, DU, WMU, Miami, UNO
NCHC DII schools: UMD, SCSU
NCHC DIII schools: CC 

WCHA DI schools: BGSU
WCHA DII schools: MSU-M, LSS, BSU, MTU, NMU, FSU, UAH(?) 

UAH is not in the CCHA. They seem to be on the path to joining AHA.