SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22

cberkas

I heard the NHL on SiriusXM guys talking about how recently and NBA team played a game with four guys on long-term deals (rostered players) and four guys off the street on ten-day contracts to get to the NBA required eight dressed players for a game. 

"We have some teams not dressing a full roster. We have other teams using defensemen at forward so that they can play."

What's safe for the players? I'd say you need 15 skaters. A lot of the times in games coaches "shorten the bench" to three lines and four defense, so that's 13 skaters. I'd say you have to have a goalie and a dressed backup. 

If you can't roster 15 + 2 for a scheduled game, you forfeit, you take a "1-0" loss and all the ramifications (PWR) that come with it. 

And about using defensemen at forward, um, let's start a list of UND D that have played at F on a game day roster. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

"We have some teams not dressing a full roster. We have other teams using defensemen at forward so that they can play."

What's safe for the players? I'd say you need 15 skaters. A lot of the times in games coaches "shorten the bench" to three lines and four defense, so that's 13 skaters. I'd say you have to have a goalie and a dressed backup. 

If you can't roster 15 + 2 for a scheduled game, you forfeit, you take a "1-0" loss and all the ramifications (PWR) that come with it. 

And about using defensemen at forward, um, let's start a list of UND D that have played at F on a game day roster. 

That sounds good but not sure you can do it.  Who is going to verify that players really are unavailable for injury/sickness/whatever ?  That too could be manipulated by coaches.  I would rather they simplify it.  If a team backs out of a game and it is not rescheduled then it goes down as a forfeit and counts as a loss in the pairwise.

15 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

That sounds good but not sure you can do it.  Who is going to verify that players really are unavailable for injury/sickness/whatever ?  That too could be manipulated by coaches.  I would rather they simplify it.  If a team backs out of a game and it is not rescheduled then it goes down as a forfeit and counts as a loss in the pairwise.

What about a coaches integrity? Yes, we have to be concerned with player safety, no question. But a coach has to prove that they are honest and prove to be a role model for their players. Someone from a school, conference or the NCAA should not have to step in, but should if a coach is as selfish and is such a poor sport as this Michigan coach has proven to be.

We know Hak dressed 17 a few years back, and not his best 17 by any means, and they played more than respectable hockey at the end of that season. I believe Berry would look out for player safety but would NOT put winning a game and gaining PW to doing what is right and fair for his team and the opponent!

I hope the NCAA looks at this and considers to give them a forfeit! What a bunch of crybabies!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mattim said:

What about a coaches integrity? Yes, we have to be concerned with player safety, no question. But a coach has to prove that they are honest and prove to be a role model for their players. Someone from a school, conference or the NCAA should not have to step in, but should if a coach is as selfish and is such a poor sport as this Michigan coach has proven to be.

We know Hak dressed 17 a few years back, and not his best 17 by any means, and they played more than respectable hockey at the end of that season. I believe Berry would look out for player safety but would NOT put winning a game and gaining PW to doing what is right and fair for his team and the opponent!

I hope the NCAA looks at this and considers to give them a forfeit! What a bunch of crybabies!

Yes the NCAA should issue a reshchedule or forfeit edict. This is clearly a violation to manipulate the Pairwise formula. Western Michigan should lead the protest. 

15 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Unless half of the team has the flu, this is ridiculous. Further proof that there needs to be repercussions for such unilateral decisions. Either reschedule or it’s a cancel/forfeit that counts towards PWR.

I thought I heard that a forfeit doesn’t do anything more than the game not being played.  What actually happens in a forfeit situation as far as the records and pairwise are concerned?

14 minutes ago, tnt said:

I thought I heard that a forfeit doesn’t do anything more than the game not being played.  What actually happens in a forfeit situation as far as the records and pairwise are concerned?

Correct. Currently, if you forfeit, game goes down as a 1-0 loss BUT it isn’t calculated into the PWR. Which is why there needs to be oversight and a forfeit rule that actually has teeth.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, tnt said:

Somebody earlier posted that a forfeit has no negative impact on pairwise.  Edit:  SiouxFanatic beat me to the punch.:wink:

2 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Unless half of the team has the flu, this is ridiculous. Further proof that there needs to be repercussions for such unilateral decisions. Either reschedule or it’s a cancel/forfeit that counts towards PWR.

They are dead last so just make it a loss

17 hours ago, crb1 said:

I know it’s very close just hard to qualify DU at #2 when UND swept them. 

Which is why while the pairwise is fun to look at and speculate on in January it really doesn't matter until all the data is compiled.

UND actually wins the comparison against Denver but Denver wins more total comparisons currently. Right now you have seven teams that will bounce around for the next month or so like bingo balls with the order possibly switching completely following every weekend.