14 Justin Brossman Forward 11 3-10-88 5'9" 170 Littleton, CO 41 12 9 21 22

15 Tyler Ruegsegger Forward 11 1-19-88 5'11" 170 Lakewood, CO 41 15 30 45 22

16 Tony Mosey Forward 11 4-23-88 5'10" 175 Prior Lake, MN 26 11 17 28 16

17 Zachary Harrison Forward 11 11-22-87 5'10" 165 Faribault, MN 41 5 9 14 26

21 Charles Genoway Forward 12 12-20-86 5'9" 170 Morden, MB 38 11 21 32 26

22 Kevin Deeth Forward 12 5-26-87 5'8" 165 Gig Harbor, WA 39 10 30 40 68

27 Dallas Bossort Defense 12 3-17-87 6' 190 Bismark, ND 39 2 9 11 20

Goalies

# Name Position Gr. Date of Birth Ht. Wt. Home Town GP MINS W L T GAA SV SV% SO TGA TSA

01 Stephen Caple Goalie 12 5-1-87 5'9" 165 Rice Lake, WI 21 1233 18 3 0 2.24 400 0.9 5 47 447

30 Brycen Eberwein Goalie 12 9-7-87 5'11" 175 Grand Forks, ND 20 1062 14 4 2 2.5 387 0.88 2 51 438

When you only have one recruit playing in the USHL this season ....

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't recruit some of those high flyers. Still, I would guess the coaching staff thought their best options/chances were with some BCHL'ers this season. That, and I think Duncan had a choice between the USHL and the BCHL and chose the BCHL route.

BCHL All Star Game Scoring

TIMES COLONIST COASTAL ALL-STARS 11

CHEVROLET INTERIOR ALL STARS 8

PERIOD 1

00:31 (Coastal) Kozek (Kinrade/Olson) EV

05:10 (Interior) Stevens (Reaney/Gare) EV

07:44 (Interior) Strong (Nelson/Watkins) EV

13:02 (Coastal) Bogdanich (Mullock/Garrison) EV

19:59 (Interior) Strong (Mason) EV

Goaltenders

Coastal Janzen MP 20:00 SV/SH 17/20

Interior Teslak MP 20:00 SV/SH 16/18

PERIOD 2

00:11 (Coastal) Gagne (Garrison/Timberlake) EV

01:09 (Interior) Reaney (Stevens/Gare) EV

04:26 (Coastal) Cameron (Gagne/Kinrade) EV

06:43 (Interior) Gare (Jones) EV

13:51 (Interior) Coghlan (Somoes/Duncan) EV

16:29 (Interior) Gare (Reaney/Simoes) EV

Goaltenders

Coastal Nolet MP 20:00 SV/SH 5/9

Interior Highton MP 20:00 SV/SH 17/19

PERIOD 3

00:50 (Coastal) Kozek (Olson) EV

02:40 (Coastal) Mazur (Timberlake/Gagne) EV

08:09 (Coastal) Soares (Distefano/Wong) EV

10:43 (Coastal) Pritchard (Olson/Mazur) EV

12:41 (Interior)Jones (Duncan/Zulyniak) EV

14:49 (Coastal) Frank (Bogdanich/Harris) WG EV

17:25 (Coastal) Wong (Soares/Distefano) EV

19:14 (Coastal) Bogdanich (Harris/Kinrade) EN EV

Goaltenders

Coastal McKenzie MP 20:00 SV/SH 12/13

Interior Sibbald MP 19:00 SV/SH 6/12

Duncan was the MVP with 2 assists? :angry:

One thing I've noticed is that we have sort of turned into Minnesota of the Doug Woog years. We have begun to recruit a lot of kids right out of high school and they are coming in at 17-18 year olds. For example:

Minnesota's freshmen next year: 9 coming in. 2 born in 1984, 4 born in 1985, 2 born in 1986, 1 in 1987. So they will have 6 kids that are 20 or older coming in.

Our class next year: 10 coming in. 1 born in 1985, 4 born in 1986, 4 born in 1987, and 1 born in 1988. We'll have one guy 20 or older.

In the Woog years he recruited right out of high school while we recruited from the USHL and Canada. Our players were more mature and were able to adapt more easily than Minnesota's. Now we seem to be doing it. It bothers me because the young guys have potential but are not as experienced or seasoned as the guys we used to get.

What do you think?

It bothers me because the young guys have potential but are not as experienced or seasoned as the guys we used to get.

It seems to me that the really young guys that we are getting are highly talented players that will probably be able to produce at this level right away. Some examples would be ZParise and Stafford, both came right from SSM and contributed right away. I would expect that some of them can do the same. But you are right, it is definitely going to be a really young class.

One thing I've noticed is that we have sort of turned into Minnesota of the Doug Woog years. We have begun to recruit a lot of kids right out of high school and they are coming in at 17-18 year olds. For example:

Minnesota's freshmen next year: 9 coming in. 2 born in 1984, 4 born in 1985, 2 born in 1986, 1 in 1987. So they will have 6 kids that are 20 or older coming in.

Our class next year: 10 coming in. 1 born in 1985, 4 born in 1986, 4 born in 1987, and 1 born in 1988. We'll have one guy 20 or older.

In the Woog years he recruited right out of high school while we recruited from the USHL and Canada. Our players were more mature and were able to adapt more easily than Minnesota's. Now we seem to be doing it. It bothers me because the young guys have potential but are not as experienced or seasoned as the guys we used to get.

What do you think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been thinking the same for awhile. We are getting good HS players to committ, before they can even prove themselves. People say that's how things are changing now, kids are committing earlier, and leaving ealier from school, meaning they can make more of an impact on the WCHA. I'd rather us get the 20 year old Canadians more than anything.

Based on Sioux and WCHA history you would think that 20 year old Canadians remain the answer. Unfortunately there are too many pro options today between North America and Europe as well as more junior teams. Therefore, the talent pool is over-tapped compared to the glory days. Therefore, the Sioux coaches should be commended for going out and landing highly ranked talent that despite their young years should be able to outplay the available 20 year olds.

Another Moorhead player gave a verbal to a D1 school - Becker's going to join his brother at the Air Force Academy. Becker

I guess the Sioux were not interested, there loss IMO.

For those in the FM area (or w/in driving distance) Warroad - MHD 6:00 tonight. Future Sioux players Lee, VandeVelde and Oshie, along with Becker and likely D1 players Ammerman, Hardwick, Fisher, Loos, and Christian (among others).

Why Air Force? Why not play a year in the USHL and try for a better team. He is a very good talent you would think he would try for a better team, not to say its not good to play for Air Force.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do most young men go to the Academy. He must feel that he is better suited to be a fighter jockey vs a pro hockey player.

Why Air Force? Why not play a year in the USHL and try for a better team. He is a very good talent you would think he would try for a better team, not to say its not good to play for Air Force.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe he wants to serve his country? There are a few of us out there that feel this way. The service academies are awesome schools academically and I know Army has a great enginering degree program, once you get out of your obligation you can land a great job. I can't fault a kid for that.

Maybe he wants to serve his country? There are a few of us out there that feel this way. The service academies are awesome schools academically and I know Army has a great enginering degree program, once you get out of your obligation you can land a great job. I can't fault a kid for that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is life besides hockey and the young man obviously has his priorities in order. Best of luck to him.

So far Brad Miller has 2 pts (1 goal and 1 assist) so far with about 10 minutes left in the game tonight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like he finished with 1 goal and 1 assist.........had the same scoring the previous night.......he is up to 10 goals and 10 assists on the season and is tied for second in goals scored for Green Bay, 1 behind Blake Wheeler.

What do you think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think every top-tier D1 school is in an "arms race" of sorts. So instead of bringing players in who are 19-20 years old, who have gotten little ink, we, and every other school, are racing against the BCs, Michigans and Minnesotas to bring in the "next Gretzky", e.g., the media whirl around ZParise, Toews, Kessel, Bradford, etc. Before Crosby went MJ, virtually every college hockey program was aiming at that kid when he was 14-15.

I think it's great to bring in a "star" or two, but I think by relying on SSM or 17 year olds in the BCHL we are overlooking some very solid players in the USHL and Canadian leagues who would do well, and stay 3-4 years too. Then again, it's something every other school seems to be experiencing too. Before Lucia, it was very rare for Minnesota players to leave before 3-4 years in their program. Now, as their recruiting has expanded beyond their borders, and they bring in more players with few ties to the school and program, the "stars" will most likely opt for 1-2 years before taking the jump up.

Just my .02

So did anyone go to the Moorhead game? How did Oshie look?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oshie got lots of "extra attention" from the Spuds--including being laid on in the slot by Loos leading to the tying goal after time had run out. He has fantastic puck skills and he's strong on his skates, but I still think he needs to get stronger overall.

Aaron Marvin, Warroad's sophomore center is an intriguing young player. I thought he was Warroad's best forward in this game.

For Moorhead, Lee took two consecutive penalties in the second period. This is becoming a bit of a pattern. He showed his usual great skills at other times. VandeVelde never got untracked in this one.

Jon Ammerman of Moorhead and Kyle Hardwick of Warroad both looked good on the blueline. Ammerman is a superb skater who made a couple of great rushes, but came up empty. Hardwick had some big hits and the game tying goal off a faceoff. I would think both are valid candidates if the Sioux are looking for another defenseman.

Oshie got lots of "extra attention" from the Spuds--including being laid on in the slot by Loos leading to the tying goal after time had run out. He has fantastic puck skills and he's strong on his skates, but I still think he needs to get stronger overall.

Aaron Marvin, Warroad's sophomore center is an intriguing young player. I thought he was Warroad's best forward in this game.

For Moorhead, Lee took two consecutive penalties in the second period. This is becoming a bit of a pattern. He showed his usual great skills at other times. VandeVelde never got untracked in this one.

Jon Ammerman of Moorhead and Kyle Hardwick of Warroad both looked good on the blueline. Ammerman is a superb skater who made a couple of great rushes, but came up empty. Hardwick had some big hits and the game tying goal off a faceoff. I would think both are valid candidates if the Sioux are looking for another defenseman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. Oshie wasn't given a lot of room, but he is very strong on is skates.

I didn't think Lee showed up, except for the penalties, until the third period and then his good play carried over into the overtime. I was very surprised to see him knocked to the ice a couple of times earlier in the game.

It seemed like Hardwick skated about 50 of the 59 minutes and appeared as strong at the end of the game as the beginning. We commented, as a group, that we were shocked he hasn't signed LOI with anyone. If his play last night is any indication, I would love to see him wearing the green and white.

VandeVelde was a nonfactor, but I do like how he skates - I see a Chris Porter-type player, but haven't had the opportunity to watch him play very often so that may be an inaccurate assessment.

Ok, despite it being only one season,

Dan Hinote of the Avs attended Army at West Point and he did ok.  Not a GREAT example, but still, it is one.

His HockeyDB stats

And by the way, he uses that Army experience all the time in interviews.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering if anyone knows how he got out of this Army committment?