SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at all the WJC games. Lee didn't play much.

However, he may be suffering a "WJC Hangover." The WJC's allow a lot more clutching, grabbing, hooking, and slashing than college hockey, let alone HS. He is probably going to be more assertive from now on, given his experiences there.

I've seen Brian and the Spuds play a handful of times this year, and I think Lee's got a target on his back since the WJC. Ever since all the press about he was the only high schooler on the team, etc. teams (or, more accurately opposing players) have had him in their sights.

I watched Brian get knocked solidly on his kiester not once but twice during the Warroad game. I don't remember who hit him, and was frankly surprised that at least one of the hits didn't result in a penalty. He was skating in the neutral zone, quite a ways away from the play when he was flattened.

Everyone wants to hit the "all star" to pump up his own rep.

Brian remains a great high school hockey player who has worked very, very hard to improve his body and his game. The scholarship awaiting him in Grand Forks and being named to the USA team for WJC are proof of his talents.

I've seen Brian and the Spuds play a handful of times this year, and I think Lee's got a target on his back since the WJC. Ever since all the press about he was the only high schooler on the team, etc. teams (or, more accurately opposing players) have had him in their sights.

I watched Brian get knocked solidly on his kiester not once but twice during the Warroad game. I don't remember who hit him, and was frankly surprised that at least one of the hits didn't result in a penalty. He was skating in the neutral zone, quite a ways away from the play when he was flattened.

Everyone wants to hit the "all star" to pump up his own rep.

Brian remains a great high school hockey player who has worked very, very hard to improve his body and his game. The scholarship awaiting him in Grand Forks and being named to the USA team for WJC are proof of his talents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's a great HS player and I'm glad to see him knock some people around, but anyone who thinks Lee was anything more than a "homer" pick for WJC is rather naive.

Jeez, Kermit, it is not as if I said he sucks, has no future and shouldn't play at UND next year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. Sometimes I don't communicate very well. Anyway, I respect and appreciate the observations and opinions that you bring to the board. Thanks. :0

He's a great HS player and I'm glad to see him knock some people around, but anyone who thinks Lee was anything more than a "homer" pick for WJC is rather naive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think he was a homer pick. I think that people actually thought he could help them, just like I think that they felt that Gologoski and Likens could help as well. While Lee didn't look comfortable out there, he didn't get burned as bad as Likens did the whole tournament. Just because it didn't turn out the way they anticipated doesn't mean he was a homer pick. By saying that, you are insinuating that all of the U.S. brass thought they should put someone in a tournament they were defending for the first time ever only for fan appeal. I think USA hockey is a little beyond that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MHD finally beat Centennial in one of the better HS games I've seen. Anderson was a non-factor (his goal w/ 9 secs left obviously didn't matter). VandeVelde's second goal was nice. Lee didn't score, but played a good physical game. Centennial wasn't able to forecheck him at all, he skated the puck out about a dozen times. 10 of his 14 pm's were from a 10 minute misconduct at the end of the game. Morinville must tell Cory to find the best player on the opposing team and beat the hell out of him, he and Anderson were going at it all night.

Moorheads last home game is next Sat against a very good Bloomington Jefferson team. Something I found amusing was Nike/Bauer gave the entire MHD team brand new equipment/composite sticks to "test". I imagine only the HS teams that will be on TV in the spring were apart of this "experiment".

A total of 62 penalty-minutes were assessed, leading in four power-play goals. Loos led the way with four infractions, three of them coincidental minors that also put all-state Centennial defenseman in the penalty box, while Moorhead standout defenseman Brian Lee was tagged with 14:00 in penalties.

"We weren't smart," Morinville said, "but at least we played hard."

It was a welcomed switch.

FIRST PERIOD: 1, C, VanGilder (Henry) :56.

SECOND PERIOD: 2, M, Loos (C. Johnson, Krause) :42. 3, M, Clukey (Fisher, Lee) 12:33 (pp). 4, C, Voigtlander (Hochbrunn) 14:39 (pp).

THIRD PERIOD: 5, M, VandeVelde (Barta) 1:45. 6, M, Loos (C. Johnson, Ammerman) 5:14 (pp). 7, M, VandeVelde (C. Johnson, Miller) 15:03 (pp). 8, C, Anderson (Vermeulen) 16:51 (pp).

SAVES: C, W. Johnson 10-6-8-24. M, Hittle 6-9-6-21.

The Moorhead game was one of the best hs games ive seen all year. Moorhead played with alot of intensity. That R.J. Anderson who is going to the gophers didnt really do much. All the Moorhead players got sticks and skates to try out and they can buy them back for cheap or return them at the end of the year.

BCHL update:

Duncan is 3rd in the scoring race but is now the goal scoring leader.

Kozek is still 2nd overall in scoring and 2nd to Duncan in goal scoring. The other side of the story, however, is that Kozek's hot start has cooled off. He hasn't had a goal in half a dozen games, and quite frankly has been relatively quiet the last 10-15.

Watkins has probably been the most consistent scorer of the trio, and is currently 10th overall in points and 10th in goal scoring.

BCHL update:

Duncan is 3rd in the scoring race but is now the goal scoring leader.

Kozek is still 2nd overall in scoring and 2nd to Duncan in goal scoring.  The other side of the story, however, is that Kozek's hot start has cooled off.  He hasn't had a goal in half a dozen games, and quite frankly has been relatively quiet the last 10-15.

Watkins has probably been the most consistent scorer of the trio, and is currently 10th overall in points and 10th in goal scoring.

The Sioux are bringing in the current 1st, 2nd, and 10th goal scorers in the BCHL?

I like it. :0

Is anyone going to watch SSM this weekend at the Ralph for the Grand Forks Midget Tourney? According to their schedule on the SSM website, they will be playing three games total, one each day Fri-Sun.

Would be nice to see Toews, Chorney, etc play before they join the collegiate ranks.

Is anyone going to watch SSM this weekend at the Ralph for the Grand Forks Midget Tourney?  According to their schedule on the SSM website, they will be playing three games total, one each day Fri-Sun.

Would be nice to see Toews, Chorney, etc play before they join the collegiate ranks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1:30PM Friday in the Olympic arena vs LA Kings, Sat. and Sun. TBD (Sat will be in the Olympic arena, Sunday in the main arena).