SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Toews would be a huge pickup for the Sioux for next season. He would add to an already potent incoming class.

Let's hope he picks the Sioux!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toews will be a Sioux (Heisenberg 1/1/05). Time to add his stats to this thread, anyone have a link?

SSM just redid their website, and I haven't taken the time to find the stats page.

However, Toews is playing in the Under-17 tournament in Lethbridge this week. Without going back to check for sure, I think he had 1 goal in the first game, 2 goals in the second, and was 1-2-3 in the third. He is also Team West's captain. Today, Toews and Team West will play his SSM linemate and top prospect Kyle Okposo and Team USA. Some MN fans are very high on Okposo and the buzz is that he is leaning towards MN.

SSM just redid their website, and I haven't taken the time to find the stats page.

However, Toews is playing in the Under-17 tournament in Lethbridge this week.  Without going back to check for sure, I think he had 1 goal in the first game, 2 goals in the second, and was 1-2-3 in the third.  He is also Team West's captain.  Today, Toews and Team West will play his SSM linemate and top prospect Kyle Okposo and Team USA.  Some MN fans are very high on Okposo and the buzz is that he is leaning towards MN.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The same unanimous source that had me saying that Toews was going to come to UND said that Okposo is leaning towards Minny, but hasn't closed the doors to someplace like UND. The "out east" thing wasn't mentioned. With the way the WCHA is going these days, I think heading out east is not going to happen. If he wants a fast track to the NHL, you'll have to choose the WCHA. It has become truly the elite of DI hockey leagues (whereas before we were just the best).

Its crazy to think how about 5 or 6 months ago we were all writing him off to major juniors (and for good reason). I don't know much about this guy, but from what people have said, he's a good catch. If it ends up happening it sure gives those naysayers (about Berry and Hakstol's recruiting abilities) a reason to shut up. :silly:

I can't find Shattuck's stats page, and don't know too much about him aside from the fact that Heisenberg reported him being 2" shorter than Shattuck did. He's listed at 6' 1", and on Heisenberg 5' 11". A good talent I'm sure; anyone else have some insights.

Ryan Duncan had the big, fat 3-2-5 game last night in a 6-2 win. This moves him to third in overall BCHL scoring, and first in points per game. His teammate Evan Barlow, a Cornell recruit, had a four-point night and has been on fire lately, moving up into the top ten in points per game.

Both Kozek and Watkins have slowed down lately in the scoring department.

Toews' Team Western won the U-17 tournament last night, with Toews scoring 2 goals (one into an empty net) in a 3-1 win.

Ryan Duncan had the big, fat 3-2-5 game last night in a 6-2 win.  This moves him to third in overall BCHL scoring, and first in points per game.  His teammate Evan Barlow, a Cornell recruit, had a four-point night and has been on fire lately, moving up into the top ten in points per game.

Both Kozek and Watkins have slowed down lately in the scoring department.

Toews' Team Western won the U-17 tournament last night, with Toews scoring 2 goals (one into an empty net) in a 3-1 win.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's nice to see Duncan break the scoring drought for the Sioux recruits in the BCHL. The last week or so, it seemed like they would just pick up a goal or an assist every game.

That would be nice to have Kozek and Duncan finish 1,2 in the scoring race!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find a game summary anywhere, but the BCHL all-star game ended with an 11-8 final score. Duncan, Watkins and Kozek were all scheduled to play. From a message board post (and we know how accurate those are), Watkins apparently won the "fastest skater" contest in the skills competition. Speed!

I can't find a game summary anywhere, but the BCHL all-star game ended with an 11-8 final score.  Duncan, Watkins and Kozek were all scheduled to play.  From a message board post (and we know how accurate those are), Watkins apparently won the "fastest skater" contest in the skills competition.  Speed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't find a Box Score but did find the following:

PUBLICATION: Times Colonist (Victoria)

DATE: 2005.01.13

EDITION: Final

SECTION: Sports

PAGE: D8 / Front

BYLINE: Sharie Epp

SOURCE: Times Colonist

ILLUSTRATION: Color Photo: Debra Brash, Times Colonist / CoastalConference

goalie Derek Janzen, of the Chilliwack Chiefs, saves the puck on a shot from

Justin St. Louis of the Trail Smoke Eaters while Geoff Kinrade of the

Cowichan Valley Capitals looks on at the BCHL 2005 All-Star game. ; Color

Photo: Debra Brash, Times Colonist / Andrew Rebus of the Quesnel

Millionaires rounds a pylon as part of the the skills competition at the

BCHL all- star game Wednesday.

An All-Star Agenda

It's like trying to find the seed of a four-leaf clover, but that didn't

keep the scouts and their notepads from carefully scrutinizing of the B.C.

Hockey League All-Star Showcase at Bear Mountain Arena on Wednesday night.

The BCHL is producing winners.

"This league is getting more and more recognition. It's good calibre

hockey," said Jim Benning, the head of amateur scouting for NHL's Buffalo

Sabres, highlighting Brett Hull, Paul Kariya, and Stan Smyl for starters.

"There are a lot of great players who have come out of this league."

As expected, the all-star game was free-wheeling, wide open, and high

scoring, with the playmakers in the bunch taking full advantage of

no-clutch, no-grab, no-hit, no-penalty hockey.

In the end, the Coastal Conference, which had trailed the Interior

Conference by period scores of 3-2 and 7-4, blasted back with seven goals in

the third period to win the shootout 11-8. Cowichan Valley's Chris Frank,

who only got into the game as a replacement for injured Chilliwack player

Matt Gow, scored the winner, making it 9-8 at 14:49 of the third period.

Brandon Wong of Powell River was rewarded by capping off a nice rush with

the insurance marker at 17:25.

Goal scorers for the Interior were Dean Strong (Vernon) and rookie Leath

Gare (Prince George), with two apiece, Les Reaney (Williams Lake), Chris

Stevens (Prince George), Ryan Coghlan (Penticton), and Jones.

For the Coastal Conference, it was Andrew Kozek (Surrey) and Peter Bogdanich

(Chilliwack), with two each, Alexandre Gagne (Cowichan Valley), Steve

Cameron (Victoria), Alan Mazur (Coquitlam), Mark Soares (Coquitlam), Rob

Pritchard (Langley), Frank (Cowichan Valley), and Wong (Powell River).

Nanaimo Clippers captain Michael Olson added three assists.

The MVPs were defenceman Geoff Kinrade of Cowichan Valley, and forward Ryan

Duncan of Salmon Arm.

The teams provided plenty of end-to-end action for the 1,955 fans, combining

for nearly 100 shots on net in a tough night for goaltenders. Benning had

Prince George's Michael-Lee Teslak and Chilliwack's Derek Janzen on his

goalie list from NHL's Central Scouting, but wasn't about to make any

career-breaking decisions on the basis of the all-star game.

"We have between six to 10 viewings over the course of the year," said

Benning, who also had Bogdanich, Kozek, Frank, Justin St. Louis of Trail,

Devin Timberlake of Alberni Valley, and Matt Watkins of Vernon on his list.

"If any other kids stand out, then we'll take note of them too," said

Benning, a veteran of 12 years scouting talent all over North America and

Europe. He said it's hard to judge such young players.

"We look for specific things," he said. "We look at their hands ... their

skill, their speed, their style."

"Do they handle the puck? Do they compete? Do they work hard?"

Once Benning and others have decided they like what they see, they get to

know the player. They check out his character, and talk to his coach. Then

they wait for the prospect to graduate from junior hockey, and grow up in

college. Even then, it's still a guessing game.

"We're hoping somebody develops into NHL calibre," Benning said. "It's not a

perfect science."

Ice chips

* The fans jumped in right on cue when Mark Donnelly held the mike out to

the crowd during the national anthem. The singer, an institution at

Vancouver Canucks' games, said "I haven't done this for awhile. I might need

a little help."

* Skills' competition -- Fastest skater: Matt Watkins, Vernon; Stick

handling: Tyrell Mason, Salmon Arm; Sniper: Bogdanich.

Don't have the box score but Vandevelde scored at least one goal in tonight's win over St Cloud Apollo.

Cory Loos had another hat trick!

It wasn't very much of a contest, Moorhead won 13-0.

I'd like to see Cory in Junior A and see how he does. He could be a pretty good pickup.

jloos, get on it! :angry:

In reading the rosters for the USHL Allstar game to be played in REA, there isn't a single player going to UND. What is up with that?

Obviously, the recruiting engine is working okay with some of the recent announcements. However, the absence of any UND bound players on the USHL Allstar rosters seems unusual to me.

In reading the rosters for the USHL Allstar game to be played in REA, there isn't a single player going to UND.  What is up with that?

Obviously, the recruiting engine is working okay with some of the recent announcements.  However, the absence of any UND bound players on the USHL Allstar rosters seems unusual to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is unusual. UND has only one recruit playing in the USHL right now (Brad Miller at Green Bay). The list of signed LOIs and verbal commitments does looks very good. One future Sioux is playing with the USNTDP (Zach Jones who is quite familiare to jeffj), three are in the BCHL, two are at Shattuck, and three are playing with their high school teams in Minnesota. Brian Lee and T.J. Oshie will likely be in the USHL after the completion of their high school seasons, and Chris VandeVelde could possibly be in the USHL next season. One could argue that Ryan Duncan would have been better off in the USHL this season, but he is originally from Calgary and UND has some pretty good connections with the Salmon Arm program. :angry:

I certainly doen't think the Sioux are ignoring the USHL and I'm sure it will be a primary source of players in the future.

Don't have the box score but Vandevelde scored at least one goal in tonight's win over St Cloud Apollo.

Cory Loos had another hat trick!

It wasn't very much of a contest, Moorhead won 13-0.

I'd like to see Cory in Junior A and see how he does.  He could be a pretty good pickup.

jloos, get on it!  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he had an offer I can guarantee you he would take it. He is a Grant Potulny like player, he isn't the fastest skater, but is good around the net and on the PP. He also takes draws and plays a very good physical game. The Sioux haven't really talked to him though, so I don't see him getting an offer. But if he has a good year in the USHL who knows.

VandeVelde is really progressing this year. He still hasn't stepped up and scored in any of the tight games though (nobody has this year for MHD).

Assuming Warroad can start their bus Sat at 6:00 is Warroad-Mhd in Mhd, get their early. Three signed future Sioux players in one game, it should be a good one.