SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote=jloos,Dec 13 2004, 05:46 PM]

Looks like there is another Marvin coming up. 18 pts in 7 games for a Sophomore is very good numbers.

Maybe Mike is the official scorer for Warroad.

Lets not start this crap already. Marvin is a very talanted and gifted player he deserves every piont he gets. By taking shots at his family members you make this kid look bad, and the last time I checked this was a positve thread for upcoming recruits, and with Marvin's tieds to UND we can expect another great player in 3-4 years. Take your negative commits somewhere else.

As far as Sydney Crosby goes.............I don't think any school is going to be picking this kid up. He is in his second year of major juniors, which means he has lost 2 years of playing at the college level, plus the way he is going, if the NHL ever gets back in gear they will be trying to pull him in early.

"Students who have played in Canadian Junior Leagues before their regular high school graduation year will lose one year of NCAA eligibility per year. Players who competed in major junior after their regular high school graduation year will lose a year of their college ice hockey eligibility, plus must sit out one season in residence per year." - pulled from

http://athleticscholarships.net/icehockeyscholarships.htm

So, as nice as it would be to get this kid playing at UND or the WCHA period, I don't see it happening.

Hey, "Just Curious" actually composed a nice post, with a source and everything. We could use posters like that around here, so don't pick on him/her too badly.

Just Curious, I think they all know Sid's not going to play college hockey.

I deleted my obnoxious post. However, back when Crosby's name came up again for the umpteenth time on this board, I wrote a post in this thread saying that he wasn't coming to UND, which everyone should know by now. I thought that would be the end of it. Once the whole debate started up again, I couldn't resist poking fun. Sorry. ???

No apologizes, people are idiots to think that Mr. Crosby would actually sign to play hockey for the sioux.

Siouxhockey5

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee... My sincere apologies for not noting the sarcasm.. I guess I was an "idiot" to think that people reading these forums would know their hockey well enough to know that any talk of Crosby coming to the Sioux was ludicrous!!! Next time I'll remember to make TEN winking smilies after each bit of sarcasm.. Wouldn't wana be considered an idiot! ???

No apologizes, people are idiots to think that Mr. Crosby would actually sign to play hockey for the sioux.

Siouxhockey5

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crosby playing for the Sioux wasn't as far-fetched as you might think. I'm quite sure he was giving serious consideration to it and pretty sure the Sioux were the only college team he was considering. He got a terrific deal to play Major Juniors....a deal that they couldn't pass up. A player with Crosby's talent is rare and just the fact that UND was the only school in his sites says a lot.

I understand that, and I truely do understand sarcasm, but some people were actually considering that crosby would play for the sioux, thats all, not trying to hurt anyones feelings here.

Siouxhockey5

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the only ice time sydney will ever see at englestad will be within the next couple of weeks for the juniors. i asked coach blais about crosby last year. flat out told me the kid couldn't come because he went the major junior route. yes it would be nice to see the "next gretzky" play for the greatest college hockey team in the land, horse's mouth said no, you all (or most of you) hold blais at the highest of pedestal's as far as hockey minds go, as do i, along with the post earlier of the major junior rules,, the kids not coming

From today's Forum:

Ice, not limelight, Lee's happy place

By Terry Vandrovec,The Forum

Published Thursday, December 16, 2004

Brian Lee's face was as blank as a clean sheet of ice. Coupled with an awkward silence, the somebody-help-me look gave away that the main attraction at Wednesday's news conference at Moorhead Sports Center to promote the upcoming World Junior Hockey Championship didn't prepare a speech.

But he did score some laughs with this one-liner:

"We've got a real close-knit team," the Moorhead senior said, motioning to the boys in black behind him. "As you can see, they're standing close together."

As a comedian ... Lee is a world-class defender, as proven by his selection to Team USA for the 10-team tournament scheduled for Dec. 25 through Jan. 4 in Grand Forks, N.D., and Thief River Falls, Minn.

He'll leave Moorhead today.

"His strength isn't his public speaking ability," Spuds boys hockey coach Dave Morinville joked.

"Where Brian seems more confident is in the weight room working out, shooting pucks doing things to make himself a better player. ...You can tell he's a lot more nervous here than he is in a one-on-one situation."

In this case, "The World is Coming" as tournament promos proclaim.

For all the savvy he displayed in two previous international competitions, earning defenseman of the tournament honors at the Five-Nations Cup in 2003 and being named USA player of the bronze-medal game at the Junior World Cup this summer, Lee had never had to deal with podeums, media gatherings or plush, life-sized bald eagles. Although the appearance of Icy, the World Junior Championship mascot, drew doubles takes from several folks Wednesday.

"There was nobody," the 6-foot-3, 202-pound Lee said of tournaments in Slovakia and the Czech Republic. "It wasn't a big deal."

As for this ...

"It's a big deal," Lee said. "I knew it was a big deal hockey-wise, but more people than just the hockey community cares about it, I guess."

An estimated 250,000 fans will attend the 31-game tournament. Seven exhibitions will also be held, including a matchup between the Czech Republic and Slovakia at 7 p.m. Dec. 23 at Moorhead Sports Center. Tickets cost $10 and are available at Play It Again Sports, Stan Kostka Sporting Goods and Valley Sporting Goods.

"Undoubtedly, this will be the finest event we've ever been involved with," said Jim Johannson, senior director of operations for USA Hockey.

Likewise, Team USA, the defending gold medalist, better be solid.

Johannson said Lee, the only high school player and one of two 17-year-olds picked for the under-20 team, should fit well.

"Number one is his ability to see the ice and the plays he makes with the puck and secondly the control and calmness to his game," said Johannson, who played a role in choosing the team. "We see him as a guy who doesn't get flustered regardless of who he's playing against."

Unless the opponent is brandishing a recording device.

One thing we need to remember are some posters are new to this board, and are unfamiliar with the history of some topics. While those of us who spend a lot of time here, and have for years might roll our eyes when a newer poster asks a question that's been covered ad nauseum in the past, we have to remember that not everyone has been privvy to those conversations. We were all new to this board at one point or another.

And yes, newer posters should look around and search some older posts, but you can't expect them to have read the whole database. They should feel free to ask the questions they have.