SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

Anyone heard what has happened to Moreland lately? I looked on the FM Jets site, and they only have him playing in 3 games w. 1 assist to date.

Otherwise (as mentioned) , our signed forwards for next season are tearing it up in the BCHL:

Watkins 18 + 17 = 35 in 29 games

Kozek 26 + 20 = 46 in 29 games

Duncan 19 + 19 = 38 in 24 games

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kozek with a 2-3-5 in last night's Surrey win, takes over the BCHL scoring lead with 51 pts in 30 games.

That's great. Always nice to see Sioux recruits who can score. Kozek is actually second in the BCHL scoring race with 1.7 p/g. The leader has 1.9 but he's also a couple years older. Duncan is tied with several at 1.6 p/g, so is right up there.

Watkins still in the top 20 at 1.2 p/g.

For some comparison, last year Zajac finished tied for first in the BCHL regular season with a 1.9 p/g average. Over 59 games he had 43 goals and 69 assists for 112 points.

Last year the leading goal scorers in the BCHL scored 53, 54 and 62 goals. The rest of the scoring leaders were in the 40's and 30's in goals scored. So the 50's is a level apart from the crowd. All these guys were 1-2 years older than Kozek at the same point.

Kozek over 30 games has 28 goals and 23 assists for 51 points. Projects to roughly 100 points over the regular season, and about 55 goals. Looks like the kid can pot the puck.

Do I understand this right? Kozek is second in the BCHL in ppg and he's not even been on the top line until last night?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like that's what they are saying, also apparently not out on the PP first unit until the suspensions. Not sure who they are alluding to that is getting the 1st line play that they think shouldn't (guessing it's probably an older player who's been there in prior years) but maybe after the suspended players return Kozek will stay on the top line. Guessing again, the C for the team is a 19 year old low scoring Californian who is in his 4th? or 5th? year with Surrey. The Surrey coach is a 23 year old Californian who played with the 19 year old prior to becoming coach. Is this the veiled "you know who" in the posts?

Apparently he is a PP sniper. Surrey went 5-5 on the PP last weekend with Kozek on it (Surrey lost that game 11-6) and scored several more PP goals last night.

Kozek is one of five Surrey players selected for the BCHL all star game (no surprise).

Saturday night - Moorhead 8 Alexandria 0.

VandeVelde hat trick, Lee four points.

FIRST PERIOD: 1, M, Barta 6:12. 2, M, VandeVelde (Miller) 12:10.

SECOND PERIOD: 3, M, Clukey 4:15. 4, M, Loos (Lee, Ammerman) 7:40 (pp). 5, M, Fisher (Loos, Lee) 9:37.

THIRD PERIOD: 6, M, VandeVelde (Lee) 1:28 (pp). 7, M, Lee (Loos) 4:26. 8, M, VandeVelde (Clukey) 14:49 (sh).

SAVES: A, Gullickson 17-18-4--39. M, B. Christian 3-7-1--11.

Haven't seen the official stats, but I read somewhere that Oshie went 3-4-7 in an 8-2 Warroad win over Orono, which may have been ranked #3 going into the weekend, and which also knocked Warroad out of the state tourney last year.

Saturday night - Moorhead 8 Alexandria 0.

VandeVelde hat trick, Lee four points.

FIRST PERIOD: 1, M, Barta 6:12. 2, M, VandeVelde (Miller) 12:10.

SECOND PERIOD: 3, M, Clukey 4:15. 4, M, Loos (Lee, Ammerman) 7:40 (pp). 5, M, Fisher (Loos, Lee) 9:37.

THIRD PERIOD: 6, M, VandeVelde (Lee) 1:28 (pp). 7, M, Lee (Loos) 4:26. 8, M, VandeVelde (Clukey) 14:49 (sh).

SAVES: A, Gullickson 17-18-4--39. M, B. Christian 3-7-1--11.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lee didn't even play most of the first period and the third period was running time.

The Moorhead lines were: Becker-Fisher-Loos

Clukey-Vandevelde-Miller

3/4 lines were mixed up.

The #1 PP was amazing. The 8-0 score was closer than what it should have been.

On PP they had Vandevelde-Fisher-Loos and Lee - Ammerman on point. All five of these players are over 6' fast and have great hands.

Next Sat Mhd plays Duluth East at home, and the Sat after that they play White Bear Lake at home. Those teams will provide much more competition than Alex or Bemidji.

Is this due to the injury he is recovering from or is it for a different reason? If injury-related, how close is he to being fully healed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think he was hurting at all. I think Morinville wanted to give a sophomore D - Foss, some ice time. Either that or their was an equipment problem. He started the game then was off until the second period. After that he played a regular shift and was on the PP.

Warroad 8 Orono 2

Warroad (4-0-0) scored three goals in the opening period and outshot Orono (3-2-0) 14-3 in the second period while adding four tallies for a 7-1 lead after two. For Warroad, senior forward TJ Oshie had 3 goals, 4 assists, sophomore forward Aaron Marvin had 2 goals, 1 assist, senior forward Ben Bengston had 1 goal, 2 assists, and senior defenseman Kyle Hardwick had 3 assists.

Lee didn't even play most of the first period and the third period was running time. 

The Moorhead lines were: Becker-Fisher-Loos

Clukey-Vandevelde-Miller

3/4 lines were mixed up.

I know jloos is our resident expert on the Spuds, but..

I was at the game (for 2 periods). Lee took a regular shift, but saw less ice time than normally. The game was a mismatch and I agree that Morinville was likely trying to give some other kids a chance to play a little more.

For the first 2 periods, the 3rd line was generally Jordy Christian (soph) with Michael Weiss (soph) and a senior #14 whose name escapes me right now.

Observations on selected players (limited by inferior competition in this game)

Brian Lee (D): best player on the ice; always under control; makes smart choices with the puck.

Chris VandeVelde ©: looks much improved from last year. Excellent combination of speed, size, and skill. Hat trick in this game, but I don't look for him to be a huge scorer. His first goal of the game was a highlight. He took a long pass at the blue line along the boards. A defenseman had an angle and tried to lay a big hit on the boards, the d-man made contact but just bounced off and crumpled to the ice. VandeVelde kept his feet moving, went behind the net, circled back out in front and scored. A current Sioux player with similar attributes is Chris Porter.

Jon Ammerman (D): Excellent skater, puck handler. Rushes the puck a lot and tends to get himself out of position; does not seem as calm and under control as Lee.

Drew Fisher ©: big and skilled. Tried to do too much as an individual.

Cory Loos (W): knows how to score; not flashy.

Matt Becker (W): fast, skilled, and small; didn't stand out here.

Jordy Christian (F): fast and skilled; small, but aggressive. will probably remain a 3rd liner this year.

TSN article that mentions Lee as a possible D for the World Junior Team.

Sources say the Americans are extremely high on 1987-born defenceman Brian Lee of Moorhead High School in Minnesota. Lee is eligible for this year's NHL entry draft. If indeed Lee is named to the team tomorrow, it may be at the expense of higher profile prospects such as Michigan State's A.J. Thelen, Kitchener Ranger Matt Lashoff and Jack Johnson of the U.S. national under-18 program.

TSN article that mentions Lee as a possible D for the World Junior Team.

Sources say the Americans are extremely high on 1987-born defenceman Brian Lee of Moorhead High School in Minnesota. Lee is eligible for this year's NHL entry draft. If indeed Lee is named to the team tomorrow, it may be at the expense of higher profile prospects such as Michigan State's A.J. Thelen, Kitchener Ranger Matt Lashoff and Jack Johnson of the U.S. national under-18 program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take it from an "expert": Let Lashoff sit out. :silly:

Wow. That he is even being mentioned for something like this, alongside some of the names listed, is amazing.

VandeVelde collected 3 more goals tonight in Moorheads blowout of Roseau. Last winter I remember asking Blaiser, Hak and Berry why they took him so early, and Blaiser said they wanted to get him locked in before other teams realized what potential this kid has.

Oshie, VandeVelde, Watkins, Kozek & Lee should put up huge offensive numbers for the Sioux. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more added to the list before the end of January.

Lee was probably the best high school defenseman last year as a junior. He, along with Chorney and Jones, will give the Sioux the top three defensive recruits coming into college hockey. It will be interesting to see how high Lee goes in the draft. Does anyone know who the highest drafted Moorhead player is? Was it Matt Cullen?

Update on TJ Oshie: I went to Warroads game tonight vs. Bemidji I had to leave after the 2nd period.. but Warroad won 10-4 I believe.. Oshie is the real deal he is averaging 3-4 pionts a game.. Granted warroads home schedule has been agaist some average teams, I still say this kid can play with the best of them in the state of MN. We all know the transition to college play can be tough for some, but I can't wait to see this kid in a Sioux uniform. See you in Duluth

Oshie, VandeVelde, Watkins, Kozek & Lee should put up huge offensive numbers for the Sioux. 

Does anyone know if either Oshie or VandeVelde will be coming in 05? I think I remember that both are slated as 06 arrivals for the Sioux.

With all the graduates, and the possibility of Stafford leaving early, I wonder what Hak will do with these two.