SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

A few come to mind...

1987 - Hrkac Circus and 'sconnie.  We're down in the student section with a couple of bottles.  Putting people on our shoulders and having them pull on the glass just to see it wobble.  Security comes down and tells us to stop.  Finally says "I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it!".  A few guys go "ewwwwwwwwwwwww" and the section erupts in laughter! 

Same Year vs Minnesota - We'd spent considerable time at buck pitchers at the Spud... and had a friend in the pep band sneak in some libations for during the game.  I think we scored about 30 seconds in and the arena pretty much erupted.  

And that curb stomping of the goofers a few years back ranks up there as well.  

Just realized I may have had a drinking problem during college.  

On 2/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, burd said:

So, Blackheart, will Sodbuster get a primary assist on this one?

Assuming you will deliver.

As promised...

Also, a stick salute to Sodbuster for finding this game!  It's always fun to watch the Sioux crush the Gofers.:wink:

===================================================

North Dakota squares off with Minnesota in the all-WCHA Frozen Four held in Columbus, Ohio in 2005. I've always referred to this as the Travis Zajac game but Erik Fabian turned in a tremendous performance as well. Enjoy!

• Upvote 4

On 2/25/2021 at 4:39 PM, The Sicatoka said:

A few years back DU(?) had a goalie that liked to pile crease snow by the outsides of the pipes so if a shot on the ice missed short it would be deadened by all the snow instead of kicking back out hard.

I think it was Skarp that had enough and came through during a whistle as a "plow driver" and his stick blade was the plow blade. Behind the goal line the piles went. 

Minor melee followed. ;) 

1999 Final Five comes to mind. Target Center. My memory is a bit foggy but I seem to remember Stephen Wagner and Lee Goren being the actors in this one.  

On 2/26/2021 at 6:26 PM, Blackheart said:

As promised...

Also, a stick salute to Sodbuster for finding this game!  It's always fun to watch the Sioux crush the Gofers.:wink:

North Dakota squares off with Minnesota in the all-WCHA Frozen Four held in Columbus, Ohio in 2005. I've always referred to this as the Travis Zajac game but Erik Fabian turned in a tremendous performance as well. Enjoy!

Thanks again, Blackheart.  Great game to watch.  I'd forgotten how colossally stupid those 3rd period penalties by Canady and Prpich were.   Hadn't forgotten how much I liked Sparky. 

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How in the NCAA officiating did Minnesota not get a penalty for running over Parise with 1:53 to go.

Just face it off at center. :lol:

The refs let a lot go in that game. 

Did they just have the faceoff wherever the penalty was?

30 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Nice.

If anyone here was in the band at the        March 28, 1987championship at Joe Louis he might remember two big guys entered the arena via the tunnel section in front of the band. One turned around and got the band’s attention, pulled off his jacket and pointed at the back of his green jersey imprinted with large “Michigan State” letters. The band boo’d and wonked the trombones. That whole side of the arena turned to see the commotion. Then the other guy made a show of pulling off his jacket and emblazoned on the back of his jersey was the word “sucks”, the band stood and cheered. The front of the jerseys were reversed. 

My brother and had I spent half the day before finding generic green jerseys and iron on letters. 

Ended 5-3 and a victory pile in front of the net. 

Great story!

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:26 PM, Blackheart said:

As promised...

Thanks for the flashback.  This one brings back vivid memories, to be sure.   

Coming right after the horrible injury to Robbie Bina at the WCHA FF, I remain impressed, and amazed all these years later at the character and focus the UND guys displayed, through that 3rd place win over Minnesota, the Beanpot regional, and both games of the Frozen Four.  They did themselves proud, and certainly made me even prouder to wear a jersey to the games.

I still feel like the ESPN announcers overplayed the big bad UND vs small fast MN ... there really wasn't that much difference in size, and our guys were just as fast as they were.  

I kept expecting a Minnesota comeback, and was surprised they gave us nothing through two periods.  Almost as surprised as UND only getting 2 goals when it could have been 6 or 7.  

P.S.  I miss when body checking was allowed in college hockey.

9 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Thanks for the flashback.  This one brings back vivid memories, to be sure.   

Coming right after the horrible injury to Robbie Bina at the WCHA FF, I remain impressed, and amazed all these years later at the character and focus the UND guys displayed, through that 3rd place win over Minnesota, the Beanpot regional, and both games of the Frozen Four.  They did themselves proud, and certainly made me even prouder to wear a jersey to the games.

I still feel like the ESPN announcers overplayed the big bad UND vs small fast MN ... there really wasn't that much difference in size, and our guys were just as fast as they were.  

I kept expecting a Minnesota comeback, and was surprised they gave us nothing through two periods.  Almost as surprised as UND only getting 2 goals when it could have been 6 or 7.  

P.S.  I miss when body checking was allowed in college hockey.

Yeah, those bastards ran our goalie at the end of the game and no call?  In today's game Minny would have gotten a major for sure.

• Upvote 1

So I'm out of videos but I've got this YouTube channel...Anybody else have a VHS tape or DVD of a Sioux game they would like added to my channel?   I'll pay for the postage and send your tapes/discs back to you.  Let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Shout out to you Sioux diehards...who has a recording (vhs or dvd) of UND vs Michigan from the 2006 regional in Grand Forks?  I'd like to add that one to my channel; send me your tape/dvd and I'll upload it asap.  I will reimburse you for your postage and return your video.  Go Sioux!

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

PCM and I used to talk about how neither of us could recall "Sparky Vahthisnam" going to the wall in a scrum and not coming away with the puck. 

Europeans may play a more finesse brand of hockey, but they still have to win the battles on the wall and in front of the net.  They must be better trained in technique?