SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

50 minutes ago, Goon said:

This came across my Twitter feed today. Apparently, published this story and then deleted it. Why? 

I'll tell ya why...it goes against the narrative they are trying to pound into us....that study pretty much confirms what most of us have been saying all along ..the god damn media is playing this bull$%!# virus up!  Sorry for the language, but this !@#$ needs to stop, and it needs to stop last week!  People need to get back to work, businesses need to be open, kids need to be in school, games need to be played, and all the Karen's of the world need to shut up and let us live our lives!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goon said:

This came across my Twitter feed today. Apparently, published this story and then deleted it. Why? 

This is a pretty thorough explanation- 

https://retractionwatch.com/2020/11/27/johns-hopkins-student-newspaper-deletes-then-retracts-article-on-faculty-members-presentation-about-covid-19-deaths/

Looks like "Just the News" forgot to mention that it was from the student newspaper, along with plenty of other inaccuracies. Not that big of a deal as most of their readers don't make it past the headline. 

47 minutes ago, Goon said:

The 3 page news article had almost no supporting evidence/references to prove their statement true.  It was created by an individual, a student, who didn't put in enough effort to gain a collective scientific agreement that it was remotely true. So thus it was removed before it could be misconstrued as credible information.

As a general thought, do the left leaning folks in this discussion believe that misinformation campaigns exist at the highest levels in our country? If the answer is yes, do you then acknowledge that they exist across the board, left and right? If yes, how would you go about discerning true from false? Is it simply deciding to trust a certain news source or is there more to it than that for you?

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

As a general thought, do the left leaning folks in this discussion believe that misinformation campaigns exist at the highest levels in our country? If the answer is yes, do you then acknowledge that they exist across the board, left and right? If yes, how would you go about discerning true from false? Is it simply deciding to trust a certain news source or is there more to it than that for you?

T maximized it.
No one else ever came close.

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Thanks for your usual non-answer. You contribute to this discussion in no way.

T is so overboard the R's (his own party) are concerned.

Trump's baseless claims of Georgia voter fraud spark fears among Republicans
Trump's baseless claims of Georgia voter fraud spark fears among Republicans (msn.com)

26 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Still has literally nothing to do with my question.

Your question " believe that misinformation campaigns exist at the highest levels in our country"

T is at the highest level.

All networks are onto this. There is not anyone else at this level. 
Misinformation includes lies and claiming other peoples lies as truth.

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Your question " believe that misinformation campaigns exist at the highest levels in our country"

T is at the highest level.

All networks are onto this. There is not anyone else at this level. 
Misinformation includes lies and reclaiming other peoples lies as truth.

And misinformation from our government started in 2016? 

Seek help.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Misinformation campaigns exist all across the board, left and right. News sources have largely become opinion networks and they face no liabilities for the false messages they share and damage they cause. Sadly false information spreads faster than indisputable truths. I've watched news slowly transition from starting with a mostly truthful message and then providing bias to confirm a networks position to a network starting with a heavy bias with a mostly false message to confirm a position for the consumer.  Many people want to be told their biases are right and will ignore true information if it challenges their bias. Some networks have capitalized on this more than others. So how can you remove such bias in today's world to see what is true and what is false? Skip the "news sources" and go right to the primary source of the information if possible and analyze from there. Checking out independent sources from other countries can help remove internal bias too. 

2 minutes ago, dynato said:

Misinformation campaigns exist all across the board, left and right. News sources have largely become opinion networks and they face no liabilities for the false messages they share and damage they cause. Sadly false information spreads faster than indisputable truths. I've watched news slowly transition from starting with a mostly truthful message and then providing bias to confirm a networks position to a network starting with a heavy bias with a mostly message to confirm a position for the consumer.  Many people want to be told their biases are right and will ignore true information if it challenges their bias. Some networks have capitalized on this more than others. So how can you remove such bias in today's world to see what is true and what is false? Skip the "news sources" and go right to the primary source of the information if possible and analyze from there. Checking out independent sources from other countries can help remove internal bias too. 

What are your best sources of information internationally. I’m genuinely looking for a place where an unbiased view of events can be found. As for now, I look at foxnews, cnn and msnbc and am forced to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between all of these news sources’ BS.

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

And misinformation from our government started in 2016? 

Just in from our government, these judges want no part of misinformation.
Today 3 conservative judges voted 3-0 against T. 
One appointed by T and 2 appointed by Bush.

A Pennsylvania appeals court on Friday decisively rejected the Trump campaign's request to block a lower court's ruling that dismissed the campaign's effort to stop the state from certifying its election results.

In a 3-0 decision, the panel upheld the lower court's ruling, dealing another blow to the Trump campaign's faltering attempts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, which President-elect Joe Biden won this month.
A Trump-appointed judge eviscerated the president's biggest election lawsuit in Pennsylvania, saying the campaign's 'claims have no merit' (msn.com)

5 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Just in from our government, these judges want no part of misinformation.
Today 3 conservative judges voted 3-0 against T. 
One appointed by T and 2 appointed by Bush.

A Pennsylvania appeals court on Friday decisively rejected the Trump campaign's request to block a lower court's ruling that dismissed the campaign's effort to stop the state from certifying its election results.

In a 3-0 decision, the panel upheld the lower court's ruling, dealing another blow to the Trump campaign's faltering attempts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, which President-elect Joe Biden won this month.
A Trump-appointed judge eviscerated the president's biggest election lawsuit in Pennsylvania, saying the campaign's 'claims have no merit' (msn.com)

So now it will go to the Supremes.

• Like 1

Just now, Bison06 said:

What are your best sources of information internationally. I’m genuinely looking for a place where an unbiased view of events can be found. As for now, I look at foxnews, cnn and msnbc and am forced to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between all of these news sources’ BS.

I can't look at CNN or Fox for political news. CNN was the boy who cried about trump. Fox was the boy who cried about CNN. Feels like they are in on it together for content. So I feel better off cutting cable and not watching either network.

For international news sources: The Independent, BBC , Reuters (all pretty much UK/Canada based). Still a hint a bias, but they are more objective about US news since they are harder to influence. I have a friend in Finland who talks American politics with me too. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Only doing better in four key urban centers is most curious of a result. And just the right four no less. Such good fortune for Mister Biden. 

It's also not at all accurate.  I decided to check a few places to see if the article was backed by facts, it wasn't.  Biden vastly outperformed Clinton in every major metro in Texas, as well as here Denver in Colorado.  He also did better in Orlando and Tampa, but not Miami (the Cuban-Americans came out big for Trump) Was slightly down in San Fran, about even in LA, but better in San Diego.  In Wisconsin, Biden did do better in Milwaukee, but even more so in Madison.  And in Minnesota Biden vastly outperformed Clinton in the Twin Cities, and even in Duluth, where Trump has several appearances.

The enthusiasm poll is meaningless.  A lot of Bernie types maybe weren't excited to vote for Biden, but they weren't going to let a repeat of 2016 happen.

If there were irregularities, there would be evidence.  There is none.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I used to think the Supreme Court would take all election cases - now not sure because there has been no accusations of fraud much less  evidence presented to date. (according to the federal judge)

The way I read it, the supreme court has two options to give Trump a victory in this election cycle. 1. Rule mail in ballots unconstitutional due to the discrepancies between all states and throw out tens of millions of ballots. 2. Give the power of deciding who is president fully to the electors of each state and take it away from the voters and hope that electors in states where the popular vote went to Biden ignore the will of the people and give the electoral votes to Trump. 

Both are highly unlikely, but seem within the realm of possibilities. I think both decisions won't need evidence of fraud or it to happen.

In the current situation, I am looking at the courts to decide which networks or parties have been telling more of the truth.

I don’t believe that misinformation is new to either party or cable news station.

I remember growing up where there were only three tv stations. Never questioned any of the information. Things have definitely changed. I always have my radar up now as I watch or hear.

I believe trump has taken things to an unacceptable level and has to be replaced. Have said many times here that I believe he is a threat to our democracy. He continues to lie. He has convinced a big part of the country in conspiracy after conspiracy. He has consolidated powers in himself so even respectful Republicans are afraid to speak up. IMHO Trump is not a statesman. And has done a disservice to the country. Though I agree with many of his policies. Personal loyalty is demanded by Trump over the country. We can’t have that.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

If you've got a Roku, I'd suggest all of NHK World Japan, France24, SkyNews and Deutsche Welle.  You need to be aware that they covering from the perspective of their home nations, but there is far more actual reporting and thoughtful analysis from actual experts, versus the opining from star anchors that passes for much of the news on now.  From a print and online perspective, The Economist is absolutely top notch.  Broad coverage of vast array of international issues, both political and economic.  I miss that you can't get it with frequent flier miles anymore.

2 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

In the current situation, I am looking at the courts to decide which networks or parties have been telling more of the truth.

I don’t believe that misinformation is new to either party or cable news station.

I remember growing up where there were only three tv stations. Never questioned any of the information. Things have definitely changed. I always have my radar up now as I watch or hear.

I believe trump has taken things to an unacceptable level and has to be replaced. Have said many times here that I believe he is a threat to our democracy. He continues to lie. He has convinced a big part of the country in conspiracy after conspiracy. He has consolidated powers in himself so even respectful Republicans are afraid to speak up. IMHO Trump is not a statesman. And has done a disservice to the country. Though I agree with many of his policies. Personal loyalty is demanded by Trump over the country. We can’t have that.

so he came up with the russia russia russia stuff....interesting take.

1 minute ago, nodakvindy said:

If you've got a Roku, I'd suggest all of NHK World Japan, France24, SkyNews and Deutsche Welle.  You need to be aware that they covering from the perspective of their home nations, but there is far more actual reporting and thoughtful analysis from actual experts, versus the opining from star anchors that passes for much of the news on now.  From a print and online perspective, The Economist is absolutely top notch.  Broad coverage of vast array of international issues, both political and economic.  I miss that you can't get it with frequent flier miles anymore.

I’ve pretty much stopped consuming news because of all the misinformation but people who I respect have great things to say about The Economist. Have also heard the BBC does a pretty good job.

My politics can be described as an anti-left Libertarian. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I’ve pretty much stopped consuming news because of all the misinformation but people who I respect have great things to say about The Economist. Have also heard the BBC does a pretty good job.

My politics can be described as an anti-left Libertarian. 

BBC World Service news is only one I listen to on Sirius XM.