SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

8 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Even if numbers don't call down they should be allowed to stay in school.  They aren't vulnerable to this.  

The kids: No, the vast majority aren't. But they can spread it. 

However a significant portion of the teachers and adminstration are. And even if they aren't, they can spread it as well.

That's the cost/benefit the school board has to weigh and I don't envy their situation especially since it is clear that there is a community spread issue going on across the state (and that is using the positivity rate, not the number of positive tests). I'm glad they are weighing both sides and looking at local info before making their decisions. My hope is they only pull the plug if determined it is absolutely necessary due to spread being directly linked to the schools.

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

However a significant portion of the teachers and adminstration are. And even if they aren't, they can spread it as well.

That's the cost/benefit the school board has to weigh and I don't envy their situation especially since it is clear that there is a community spread issue going on across the state (and that is using the positivity rate, not the number of positive tests). I'm glad they are weighing both sides and looking at local info before making their decisions. My hope is they only pull the plug if determined it is absolutely necessary due to spread being directly linked to the schools.

Yesterday on a day that ND set a record for "positive" cases of over 1000 around 0.5% of those cases were elementary aged children. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Who on earth goes into a career in education with a desire (or expectation) not to be exposed to a multitude of infectious diseases?  Serious question.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Who on earth goes into a career in education with a desire (or expectation) not to be exposed to a multitude of infectious diseases?  Serious question.

It's maddening to have conversations with people and they explain things about Covid as if it's the first time we've ever dealt with a respiratory disease in this country.

"But it spreads if you don't wear a mask" Yep viruses tend to do that

"But it spreads if you are around someone who has it, even if they don't know they have it" Yep viruses tend to do that

"But there are long term effects" Yep viruses tend to do that

The list goes on and on.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/tracker/overview

Does anybody else notice that the midwest states just happen to be getting hammered all at the same time?  Iowa isn't even testing very much.

Like I said, the Midwest locked down in spring and the Northeast (NY, NJ) burned. 

Well, virus gonna virus, and it's our turn to burn. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Using your line of logic here, when will this ever not be the case? Covid is endemic, every expert agrees for the most part. Vaccines aren't foolproof and this one will be no exception, in fact it is likely to not be nearly as effective as influenza given the lack of research and rushing it to market. So when in your scenario of kids being superspreaders will life be back to normal?

thats when i ask people" what is the end game?"   no on has an answer.   AND THATS THE PROBLEM!  There has to be an end game.   but once you assign a dollar amount to a disease, it looses all validity

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Like I said, the Midwest locked down in spring and the Northeast (NY, NJ) burned. 

Well, virus gonna virus, and it's our turn to burn. 

I think I said something like that to my wife the other day:  it looks like our turn as come on COVID

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

At 9.4 tests per 1,000, second highest in the nation, why is North Dakota currently testing so much?

Gee. 

People feeling symptoms go up, so they get tested.  Then, higher number of tests.  Many with those symptoms, it turns out, are positive.

Hmmmm.

Shocking....

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Gee. 

People feeling symptoms go up, so they get tested.  Then, higher number of tests.  Many with those symptoms, it turns out, are positive.

Hmmmm.

Shocking....

Problem is, nobody breaks down the testing data, so nobody knows exactly who is getting tested and why.

Lots of asymptomatic close contacts, nervous people, and healthcare workers are among those being swabbed.

At the end of the day, reporting positive cases is both a cop-out (because it's ostensibly an easy way to convince one's self - or one's state - that one is doing something) and a red herring.  Scientifically useless.  And little more than fodder for hand wringers and fear mongerers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Problem is, nobody breaks down the testing data, so nobody knows exactly who is getting tested and why.

Lots of asymptomatic close contacts, nervous people, and healthcare workers are among those being swabbed.

At the end of the day, reporting positive cases is both a cop-out (because it's ostensibly an easy way to convince one's self - or one's state - that one is doing something) and a red herring.  Scientifically useless.  And little more than fodder for hand wringers and fear mongerers.

And fodder for nut job cultists to deny the danger of Covid-19.

This circle jerk of Trumptards is far more dangerous than following the recommendations of the CDC.  

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Hayduke1 said:

And fodder for nut job cultists to deny the danger of Covid-19.

This circle jerk of Trumptards is far more dangerous than following the recommendations of the CDC.  

No one is preventing YOU from following the recommendations of the CDC.  And no one is preventing YOU from according Covid-19 whatever degree of concern YOU deem appropriate.

If asking YOU to leave ME out of your decision-making makes ME a "cultist," "circle jerker," or "Trumptard," so be it.  Sure beats the hell out of letting you impose whatever it is that you seek to impose on me.

(See how I did that without using any derogatory labels or name-calling?  It's easy...you should give it a try.)

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I mean, it is no different than a common cold right? :silly:
Expecting others to have zero concern for their own health (or their families) during a global pandemic is an interseting stance to take. And that is ignoring almost all teachers I know having a full desire to be in the classroom with their kids.
It is almost like a cavalier attitude like this has played into how the US's response has went.

48 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Using your line of logic here, when will this ever not be the case? Covid is endemic, every expert agrees for the most part. Vaccines aren't foolproof and this one will be no exception, in fact it is likely to not be nearly as effective as influenza given the lack of research and rushing it to market. So when in your scenario of kids being superspreaders will life be back to normal?

I don't disagree with any of that. However, my assumption is that when positivity rates and community spread are down significantly, restrctions would change. Regardless of one's opinions on what should be done, I think it is a fair statement to say that overall, North Dakota currently has a community spread issue that needs to be figured out. But again, I'm fully supporting doing whatever it takes to keep kids in school.

51 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Yesterday on a day that ND set a record for "positive" cases of over 1000 around 0.5% of those cases were elementary aged children. 

What percentage of those tested were elementary aged kids? Honest question as I'm not sure. I'm guessing most parents aren't testing their kids, especially if symptoms are non-existent or very minor. 

21 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

So if all these "nervous" people are driving up testing numbers, wouldn't that drive down the positivity rate? Yet ND is in the top 15 in positivity rate. If they had more restrctions on who could be tested like other states currently have, ND would probably be in the top 5 of positivity rates with numbers similar to South Dakota.

28 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Gee. 

Hmmmm.

Shocking....

Again I ask ...

Getting tested and found positive does exactly what for you? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

ND positives today are half of what yesterday's record number was. Must  be due to the mask mandates issued in Fargo and Minot on Monday night?

Dare I say the "daily data" is not normalized, so it's easy to hold back results for a few days and ... WHAMO! ... really big number reported.

30 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Gee. 

Hmmmm.

Shocking....

The fact that you think it's people getting tested because they are feeling sick shows how ignorant you are on this topic.

• Upvote 4

Word of the Day:

Pandemic - (adj) (a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world; or, (noun) an outbreak of a pandemic disease. 

Please note that word, pandemic, refers solely to the scope, and not the severity, of said disease. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

ND positives today are half of what yesterday's record number was. Must  be due to the mask mandates issued in Fargo and Minot on Monday night?

Wait a second.  Are you sure?  So it was...an outlier?  Are you saying that the presentation of this information by the State in this manner is potentially flawed, misleading, and counterproductive???  That we shouldn't rely on it, or read too much into it?  Good God, man!  What is it you are trying to tell us?

On 4/15/2020 at 3:47 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I think we can dispense with daily briefings, pressers, and numbers.  Data fatigue is real.  Even for experts, trying to monitor this information on such a micro level is absurd, and to extract anything meaningful is impossible.  It's damn near reckless to distribute it to lay people.

On 5/7/2020 at 3:09 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Daily reporting of COVID statistics is one of the worst things that could have ever happened to mankind.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I think it's high time the Department of Health publish daily statistics on ALL deaths.

#FactsNotFear

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic