SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1 minute ago, Redneksioux said:

We'd need a plan at the federal level for starters. 

Given the political climate, my perspective is whichever approach Trump took would have been harshly criticized. Take a broad federal approach and he is a fascist tyrant abusing his federal power, take a "the states have to make their own decisions" like he did and he is not doing enough. It's a heck of a pickle for him.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Given the political climate, my perspective is whichever approach Trump took would have been harshly criticized. Take a broad federal approach and he is a fascist tyrant abusing his federal power, take a "the states have to make their own decisions" like he did and he is not doing enough. It's a heck of a pickle for him.

Being president under any condition is precarious.  

Doing the right thing doesn't always lend for massive support.  He should have instituted federal mandates based on the experts' advice.  Probably would have been immediate political consequences, but if - in the long run - the numbers were better along with the economy, he would have been in better shape politically. 

All he created was more chaos between others in the political arena and in public service.  He has an economy in the toilet, Covid-19 spreading like wildfire and civil unrest.  

Yup.  He is toast and he knows it. 

1 minute ago, Hayduke1 said:

Doing the right thing doesn't always lend for massive support.  He should have instituted federal mandates based on the experts' advice.  Probably would have been immediate political consequences, but if - in the long run - the numbers were better along with the economy, he would have been in better shape politically. 

All he created was more chaos between others in the political arena and in public service.  He has an economy in the toilet, Covid-19 spreading like wildfire and civil unrest.  

That certainly is one approach that he could've taken. I don't envy any politicians job, these are difficult decisions.

As far as him being toast, the election is still a long ways off and the economy is doing great considering everything that has happened. If the unemployment rate is under 8% by November, I think he has a chance. Who the hell knows though with Biden/Harris, that isn't exactly a winning combination.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

That certainly is one approach that he could've taken. I don't envy any politicians job, these are difficult decisions.

As far as him being toast, the election is still a long ways off and the economy is doing great considering everything that has happened. If the unemployment rate is under 8% by November, I think he has a chance. Who the hell knows though with Biden/Harris, that isn't exactly a winning combination.

8% would be good by election. Probably won't happen though. 

A Gumby/Pokey ticket could probably beat Trump right now.  

(I'd like to see Eddie Murphy do a Gumby ad..  Lol)  

4 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

In the first couple months the whole idea was to "flatten the curve."  That was the objective and it seems like the right approach.  Short of a vaccine we are not going to eradicate this thing, and even with a vaccine that won't be the end of it.  New Zealand, with their small population and being an island, have done great from a physical health perspective.  Are they going to continue to live under those lockdown conditions potentially forever?  It literally takes one person who is shedding the virus to blow it all up, unless you want to weld people into their homes every time that happens.

The flattening of the curve worked.  The general population did their part whether or not the virus warranted the response.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Civil unrest...we all know where the blame falls for that. Impotent democratic leadership. Trump wins in a electoral landslide.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I really think the left is being overconfident right now. We'll have to see how it plays out, but Trump isn't as far off as some would like to believe.

That is right.  He may not win, but it's gonna be really close.  If the stock market stays up, unemployment trends down, and if there continues to be improvements in the treatment (and gulp a semi effective vaccine) look out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

No I'm not saying that. I believe vendors at most would be required to wear masks and sanitize. But are gowns being used by vendors? And is ppe being discarded when going from patient to patient? This just isn't possible because they don't have enough ppe to follow standard infection control practices that have been used in hospitals for years. Yes six months into this and we still don't have the needed PPE.

The best solution I'm aware of right now is to attempt to reduce the number of infected coming in and in order to do so we need to reduce the number infected in the general public. A rapid test before entering would do wonders too.

Nursing homes are controlled, or at least controllable settings with an access point.  It never ceases to amaze me the logic that people like you use by saying...."let's lockdown/impact/change as many lives as we can in the general public by cancelling/restricting activities" instead of doing the more common sense less intrusive approach of "let's control the access point".  If an employee at the nursing home is scrubbing in/following the proper procedures the risk is minimal.  If they aren't.....that's on the nursing home.  If visitors can't safely enter, that's on the administration for not setting appropriate policies and the visitors for not being safe enough out in public given their want to periodically visit a nursing home.  A high school senior missing prom wasn't and still isn't the solution. 

44 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Nursing homes are controlled, or at least controllable settings with an access point.  It never ceases to amaze me the logic that people like you use by saying...."let's lockdown/impact/change as many lives as we can in the general public by cancelling/restricting activities" instead of doing the more common sense less intrusive approach of "let's control the access point".  If an employee at the nursing home is scrubbing in/following the proper procedures the risk is minimal.  If they aren't.....that's on the nursing home.  If visitors can't safely enter, that's on the administration for not setting appropriate policies and the visitors for not being safe enough out in public given their want to periodically visit a nursing home.  A high school senior missing prom wasn't and still isn't the solution. 

A nursing home can only control so much when asympomatic employees could bring it in with no rapid test.

And People like me? Honestly I’d just like to see better mask usage put in place but then we’ve got the anti mask crowd claiming it infringes on their civil liberties and guys like you claiming evidence of herd immunity as the answer when there’s no evidence. A high school senior needing to go to prom vs the need to attempt to save some lives....now this is entitlement.

flame on!

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

I really think the left is being overconfident right now. We'll have to see how it plays out, but Trump isn't as far off as some would like to believe.

Maybe, we will see.  

The Dems didn't offer the ticket I wanted, but I think overall there is enough motivation with the Dems and Independents to remove Trump and possibly flip the senate. 

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

That is right.  He may not win, but it's gonna be really close.  If the stock market stays up, unemployment trends down, and if there continues to be improvements in the treatment (and gulp a semi effective vaccine) look out.

Tax my house

Tax my work

Tax my 401K

Tax my inheritance

Tax my utilities

Tax my gas

Tax my car

No free speech

No free press

No free thought

No filibuster

No electoral college

No zoning laws

No borders

No police

No guns

No thanks

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

A nursing home can only control so much when asympomatic employees could bring it in with no rapid test.

And People like me? Honestly I’d just like to see better mask usage put in place but then we’ve got the anti mask crowd claiming it infringes on their civil liberties and guys like you claiming evidence of herd immunity as the answer when there’s no evidence. A high school senior needing to go to prom vs the need to attempt to save some lives....now this is entitlement.

flame on!

Comprehension still an issue I see.  Nursing homes can absolutely control the access point.  If they aren't operating under the assumption that anyone that enters could be a carrier then they aren't doing their job.....and that's on them.  

Making everyone pay a price and needlessly sacrifice instead of holding the smaller number of people that have their hands directly on the issue accountable = typical far left logic.   

• Upvote 1

Not shocking...

COVID-19 conspiracies get embraced by Trump and right-wing media because reality is painful

Conspiracies spread (and become profitable) when the president says there are no trusted news sources, and so every source becomes potentially trustworthy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/covid-19-conspiracies-get-embraced-trump-right-wing-media-because-ncna1235238

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-s-reports-highest-number-of-covid-19-deaths-in-one-day-since-mid-may/ar-BB17TdLA?ocid=msedgdhp
“When you sit at home in a basement looking at a computer, your brain starts to wither away,” Trump said, adding that “all schools should be making plans to resume in-person classes as soon as possible.”

2 hours ago, MrEdway said:

Tax my house

Tax my work

Tax my 401K

Tax my inheritance

Tax my utilities

Tax my gas

Tax my car

No free speech

No free press

No free thought

No filibuster

No electoral college

No zoning laws

No borders

No police

No guns

No thanks

Tax your house? Yes, it's called Georgian economics. It's almost universally accepted as the best approach to taxation.

Tax your inheritance? I doubt you have anywhere near the amount worth taxing coming to you.

Tax your gas? How else do we pay for the our decaying infrastructure? Bridges are in bad shape all over the country.

No Police? Kamala is a cop in attorney clothing.

No Free Press? Republicans are the ones crying fake news while falling for silly conspiracy theories (and electing freakshows that espouse them). 

Tax your 401k? Do you mean IRA? 401k is tax-deferred. 

No zoning laws? You mean like Houston has no zoning laws resulting in sprawl filling in flood plains? 

Sweet post bro.

• Upvote 4

Fox News opinion host "Judge" Jeanine Pirro. Fox News

© Fox News Fox News opinion host "Judge" Jeanine Pirro. Fox News

Fox News opinion host "Judge" Jeanine Pirro baselessly fueled a conspiracy theory that suggested "something's" going to happen to presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

Pirro added that the supposed event would cause the former vice president to be removed from the ballot during the presidential election in November.

28 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Tax your inheritance? I doubt you have anywhere near the amount worth taxing coming to you.

Tax your 401k? Do you mean IRA? 401k is tax-deferred. 

Sweet post bro.

Biden’s plan is to eliminate step-up basis on inheritance.

It will effect everyone with non-qualified stock. Dad buys 1000 shares of Tesla in 2012, he dies, you pay taxes on over $1,000,000. With his proposal of treating capital gains as income, for some people you could be paying $380,000 federal taxes plus 3-7% state taxes on. At this point it’s unclear whether the death or the sale would be the tax trigger event. 
Same applies to your huge gain on Nvidia, Apple etc. 

Both 401s and IRAs are deferred, but in 2019 congress passed legislation to collect significantly more taxes from your inherited IRA by eliminating the stretch-rule.

Prior, your dad dies, leaves 500k in the Ira. You are 45 so you get to stretch RMD taxable withdrawals over your lifetime based on your age, saving a ton in taxes. Now we must liquidate the IRA (which is often the product of the decedent’s 401k)  and pay all the taxes in 10 years. 

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic