SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

4 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

It's no surprise this happened in South Dakota with the way their governor has touted on Fox News how well their state is doing and that they are not New York. 

She continues to defend her stance saying they are not Chicago even though the Sioux Falls infection rate per capita has exceeded Chicago's.

Unfortunately this attitude is passed down to the employer level and what's done is done.

Maybe we can get something positive out of this and regulations will prevent this from happening over and over again, probably not in South Dakota though.

I don't know the right number but I can tell you that I'd take 50% over 0%.

Can you explain why other plants in other states not run by Republican governors are also experiencing outbreaks in their large meat processing plants? 

Could you point me to the scientific study proving that cutting capacity to 50% would’ve prevented the spreading of the virus?   

I’ll hang up and listen. 

3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Can you explain why other plants in other states not run by Republican governors are also experiencing outbreaks in their large meat processing plants? 

Could you point me to the scientific study proving that cutting capacity to 50% would’ve prevented the spreading of the virus?   

I’ll hang up and listen. 

Probably because they also think they are exempt from social distancing and measures that would reduce the spread of the virus as they are deemed essential. I mean there's a supply chain that we can't disrupt at all costs right?

52 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So, dynato, at what point should Burgum activate the National Guard to round up the proletariat in Fargo, turn the larger homes in the area into “the people’s houses” and make any residence larger than 3BR’s an apartment building...housing 30 people each?

The average major city shut down when their county reached just 25 REPORTED cases. If we followed the same lead, this would leave 95% of counties in ND open for business still. Grand forks county is still only at 21 cases. I'd implement limited social distancing measures, perhaps facemasks, for the time being. If exponential growth of the virus happens because our community cannot adhere to social distancing and facemasks, then I would implement more strict measures. 

What Burgum has shown, is that he would rather take the hit for shutting down the economy vs take the hit for "unnecessary" deaths. 

24 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

It's no surprise this happened in South Dakota with the way their governor has touted on Fox News how well their state is doing and that they are not New York. 

She continues to defend her stance saying they are not Chicago even though the Sioux Falls infection rate per capita has exceeded Chicago's.

Unfortunately this attitude is passed down to the employer level and what's done is done.

Maybe we can get something positive out of this and regulations will prevent this from happening over and over again, probably not in South Dakota though.

I don't know the right number but I can tell you that I'd take 50% over 0%.

6 South Dakota deaths, all with preexisting conditions.  Reading your posts you'd think that 1/2 the population has been killed.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Probably because they also think they are exempt from social distancing and measures that would reduce the spread of the virus as they are deemed essential. I mean there's a supply chain that we can't disrupt at all costs right?

I’m curious as to how long you think it would take before riots and looting occur in major cities when people can’t get a pound of hamburger or a loaf of bread...six months? Six weeks?  I give it about six days.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, dynato said:

The average major city shut down when their county reached just 25 cases. If we followed the same lead, this would leave 95% of counties in ND open for business still. Grand forks county is still only at 21 cases. I'd implement limited social distancing measures, perhaps facemasks, for the time being. If exponential growth of the virus happens because our community cannot adhere to social distancing and facemasks, then I would implement more strict measures. 

What Burgum has shown, is that he would rather take the hit for shutting down the economy vs take the hit for "unnecessary" deaths. 

25 REPORTED cases. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Walsh Hall said:

6 South Dakota deaths, all with preexisting conditions.  Reading your posts you'd think that 1/2 the population has been killed.

Just think, had that Republican witch of a governor just shut down the entire state for a month, 1 or 2 of those 6 people might still be alive today.  

52 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

We can go back over three months and look again at what the World Health Organization was warning if you'd like, rather than stop funding them.

Every business has had to make adjustments due to the pandemic. Just because a business is deemed essential doesn't exempt them from changes that need to be made. Smithfield Foods thought they were exempt and how's that going for them? What are all the pig farmers going to do with all those pigs now?

From a pig farmer perspective in SW Minnesota

https://www.marshallindependent.com/news/local-news/2020/04/hog-tied-by-a-virus/

19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m curious as to how long you think it would take before riots and looting occur in major cities when people can’t get a pound of hamburger or a loaf of bread...six months? Six weeks?  I give it about six days.

Not gonna argue with this. Smithfield's Sioux Falls plant being shut down indefinitely sure isn't going to help the situation. If they would have acknowledged and addressed what changes had to be made in their plants months or even weeks ago they'd still probably be operating at some level in SD. Instead we still have people arguing that we aren't New York or Chicago. Well it's getting too late for that argument.

25 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

600 plus infections,tied to a single employer outbreak, is bound to spread with no county or statewide shelter in place happening.  Unfortunately this means the deaths will follow.

1 minute ago, Redneksioux said:

600 plus infections,tied to a single employer outbreak, is bound to spread with no county or statewide shelter in place happening.  Unfortunately this means the deaths will follow.

Were those infections all contracted at work or at home? 

6 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Not gonna argue with this. Smithfield's Sioux Falls plant being shut down indefinitely sure isn't going to help the situation. If they would have acknowledged and addressed what changes had to be made in their plants months or even weeks ago they'd still probably be operating at some level in SD. Instead we still have people arguing that we aren't New York or Chicago. Well it's getting too late for that argument.

It's wonderful that we have a processing plant expert in our midst that can educate us on the proper meat packing sanitation methods which can be utilized when dealing with pandemics, including the supply chain and health ramifications...

I, admittedly, have no real clue on how to properly run a meat processing plant, and what steps can reasonable be taken to safeguard the employees.  I'd be completely leaving my lane to question the day-to-day operations of such an operation.

It's wonderful that you are an expert and can educate us...  or just maybe you have absolutely no clue on how to operate a meat processing plant and you are pulling stuff out of your butt.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

It's wonderful that we have a processing plant expert in our midst that can educate us on the proper meat packing sanitation methods which can be utilized when dealing with pandemics, including the supply chain and health ramifications...

I, admittedly, have no real clue on how to properly run a meat processing plant, and what steps can reasonable be taken to safeguard the employees.  I'd be completely leaving my lane to question the day-to-day operations of such an operation.

It's wonderful that you are an expert and can educate us...  or just maybe you have absolutely no clue on how to operate a meat processing plant and you are pulling stuff out of your butt.

I admittedly have no experience operating a meat packing plant either. 

With that said common sense says working shoulder to shoulder in a food plant without proper PPE is a no no. And forcing employees to come in to work when they are ill is also not good. Hopefully when and if they re-open they'll have a more responsible operating plan in place.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southpaw said:

!@#$ those people over 44, amirite?

I know hard data bothers you when it come to making life potentially more accessible to the 187M in this country that fall into that age range. 

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I know hard data bothers you when it come to making life potentially more accessible to the 187M in this country that fall into that age range. 

Thankfully,  the virus also doesn't transmit from the under 44 to the over 44.

Remember folks, it's better to have coronavirus than the flu says our medical expert. 

How many hospital beds do the under 44 need and take from the over 44? How many systems get overwhelmed because the olds have to die to keep the economy going. 

1 minute ago, southpaw said:

Thankfully,  the virus also doesn't transmit from the under 44 to the over 44.

Remember folks, it's better to have coronavirus than the flu says our medical expert. 

Really not concerned about either one.