SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four bid cities announced for 2023-26

SiouxVolley

26 minutes ago, Dustin said:

As a city, I personally don't find Las Vegas that enticing, but I do think it would make for a fabulous Frozen Four host.  I think a lot of people would be excited to go there for it.   Good time of year weather-wise, too.

It is a great time. The weather is perfect the race is over so you don’t have an extra 150k in town. PGA doesn’t stop until October. 

Warm weather destinations are best, IMHO.  Virtually everyone is traveling to get to the FF, so distance isn't an issue for many of the attendees (plus, most come from cold weather areas).  You might miss out on some local bumps like Notre Dame provided in Chicago for their 1 game, but a big chunk of the crowd shows up whether their school is there or not.  

My ranking the last five locations (we attend every year)

1. Tampa - it's not close. This was such a good location that it wins even though I got food poisoning the first night in town.
  2. St. Paul - breaks my "warm weather' preference, but the city really puts out the welcome mat for the crowd
  3. Boston - weather was crap for part of the tourney, but the history and number of things to do is great. Also, you can get everywhere using all public transport without needing rental cars, uber, etc.
  4. Chicago - the arena sucks and there was nothing to do immediately surrounding it, but the city itself has a lot to offer
  5. Buffalo - I may skip another FF held there. The arena was fine, but the rest of the town left so much to be desired.  Probably the least fun I've had at a FF.

• 7 months later...

St. Louis to me was a gritty town. Hope that Cardinals are playing next time around. Al Hrabosky’s bar for the pregame was ok. Tour of Anheuser Brewery was ok. Gateway Arch is a must do but will only kill an hour. I was surprised by a lot of the downtown architecture but that could only interest a few of us geeks. Best part of the trip: Duncan wins the Hobey and Lammy made a couple of Emmy nominated cart wheel saves. 

8 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

St. Paul in April doesn't really appeal to me as a "destination city". It was very cold when the FF was there a couple years ago. I really like Tampa and Vegas as choices. St. Louis? I would like to get some feedback from some people that attended in 2007.

The most interesting thing is a St. Louis suburb has one of the regionals in like 2025.

Sioux Falls has the 2024, and 2026 regional hosted by Omaha

I attended the St. Louis Frozen Four in 2007, my first ever.  I had been to St. Louis as a kid, so the novelty as a new city wasn't there.  Here's what I remember about it:  The people of the city generally didn't know what a "Frozen Four" is, which can be a problem in general with college hockey in markets without a college team.  Attendance at the games, however, was record setting at the time.  (Only Ford Field in 2010 has a higher championship game attendance).  The weather was chilly (I want to say highs in the 40s), which was unfortunate considering it had potential for good weather (Average high in early April is low 60s).  On Friday, I visited the Larimore Plantation, which is source of the town name Larimore, ND, my hometown.  I saw Ryan Duncan win the Hobey, which was the hockey highlight of the trip.  Friday night, I was at a blues joint and made friends with a Michigan State fan.  The Spartans went on to win the National Championship the next night, so I was happy for him.  I don't remember what I did on Saturday during the day.  Unfortunately, the Cardinals were not playing at home that weekend. Sunday morning, which was Easter, was the flight back to Grand Forks and I think the high temperature was something like 14.  Overall, the St. Louis sports commission seemed pretty excited to host, even if the people weren't necessarily aware.  With the Blues winning the Stanley Cup recently, (and no more Rams) hockey might be more at the forefront of the St. Louis sports scene.  If the Frozen Four coincides with the Cardinals at home, I think it would be a pretty good site.