SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 FB Recruiting

Nodak78

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Not very big (5'9", 165) but has great speed (4.4).  Would be great to land him!  He currently has offers from Kent St, WMU & NIU. 

19 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Just passing this on - according to Hero Sports, UND is ranked 10th out of 11 in MVFS for their 2020 recruiting class. USD is #1. 

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-recruiting-mvfc-missouri-valley-rankings-ajaj?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Link 

On a side note....the fact that Mason Miller of Ada, MN and NDSU recruit isn't not a top 25 individual recruit in the MVC makes this whole article and it's rankings questionable. If he stays healthy he'll be playing on Sundays.

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Just passing this on - according to Hero Sports, UND is ranked 10th out of 11 in MVFS for their 2020 recruiting class. USD is #1. 

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-recruiting-mvfc-missouri-valley-rankings-ajaj?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Link 

We need to recruit and land more kids that get worthless spring offers.  Then we will move up the list.  USD #1 - really?  

59 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

We need to recruit and land more kids that get worthless spring offers.  Then we will move up the list.  USD #1 - really?  

Did you look at the list?  Their number one recruit has offers from Fl State, BC, Pitt, and USF just to name a new.  Plus they have 3 other guys with multiple FBS offers.  Not hard to see why they're considered #1 on that list.

As much as I enjoy when UND is at the top of these lists, they are hard to put a ton of stock into. Remember, one of the highest profile recruits UND has brought in the last five years was Zeke Ott and well as unfortunate as it was, it didn't pan out. You can never truly know who will flop, get hurt, or transfer.

The USD #1 recruit from FL played on an undefeated regular season team.  His brother RSF last year.  He had a long list of offers not sure if they are self reported or not.  I didn't see where he took an other visits.  He might just want to play with his brother.  At any rate good size for a MLB.

I would like to compare this list in a couple years.

Can we move this to the 2020 recruiting thread? 

Competing offers is really the only way to create these lists, so I have no problems with it. It should be a moving scale though, weighted more on actual offers at the time of commitment. Not denying the #1 ranked guy isn't a great player, but did he have 18 active FBS offers at the time he committed to USD? Of course not. 

The reality is UND always has a lot of one offer guys, so I never expect them to be high on these lists. The program isn't in the position currently where we'd like, but you also can't deny that the coaching staff either (1) Has an eye for talent (2) Doing a fine job molding the talent they have, because for a program that is heavy on one offer guys, they seem to be doing pretty decent job with the results (Borderline Top 25 team).  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NDRA said:

Did you look at the list?  Their number one recruit has offers from Fl State, BC, Pitt, and USF just to name a new.  Plus they have 3 other guys with multiple FBS offers.  Not hard to see why they're considered #1 on that list.

Do you feel that those were real offers that he turned down to attend USD?

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I did look into it and it appears he originally committed to Univ of South Florida but then changed his mind.  Probably has something to do with wanting to play with his brother, as was mentioned earlier in this thread.  From googling newspaper articles on him those other P5 offers appeared to be legit.  According to 247 he is the 70th ranked OLB in the country....for whatever that's worth.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Probably USD's best recruiting class of their D1 era (on paper) we will see in 2-3 yrs.

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Real offers yes I believe,  they could have been pulled due to position filled or many other reasons, kid has a lot of talent and his brother is on roster already.

Competing offers is a real metric. IF other coaching staffs want a recruit, it’s a good sign. Some offers don’t get reported, however, and it makes recruits look less valuable. Also, under-the-radar high-end recruits are a regular occurrence every year; gives hope to the programs that are usually at the bottom of these lists. 

For UND, they aren’t going to usually be at the top of these lists. They need to focus on development of recruits in order to ascend their program, not gathering in highly sought after talent. Now, of course, it’s NEVER a bad thing if you get a recruit with multiple FBS offers to commit to your FCS program. 

Last point I’ll make: recruiting is a comprehensive process and should be graded as such. If you get one or two really good recruits but the rest of the class is below average, the program didn’t improve at all. Football is the ultimate team game.

2 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

As much as I enjoy when UND is at the top of these lists, they are hard to put a ton of stock into. Remember, one of the highest profile recruits UND has brought in the last five years was Zeke Ott and well as unfortunate as it was, it didn't pan out. You can never truly know who will flop, get hurt, or transfer.

True, but he was also going to get his shirt pulled as a true freshman, so he had the talent to justify his ranking.  If you look at our 24/7 recruiting page, most of the guys who have star rankings turned out to be impact players.  That said, 24/7 still sucks, because there are multiple recruits that commit to UND, and they don't bother to update the recruits account to show that they commited to UND.  Examples: https://247sports.com/Player/Quincy-Vaughn-46084437/ and https://247sports.com/player/samuel-salih-fort-46056222/ nad https://247sports.com/player/reid-neal-46048625/     and https://247sports.com/player/jack-wright-46080629/ and https://247sports.com/player/bennett-weber-46079859/

I think Brian's work is valuable, be even he will admit that looking at recruits other options isn't the best way to evaluate players, but it's really all we have because there isn't a lot of info out there on most FCS guys.

• Like 1