SiouxSports.com Forum

Own The Farm Week

Prison_Mike

As I recall the 12 game win streak the Bison had in the 80s and 90s the teams were competitive many of those years. There wasn't a big talent gap between the teams and the 1993 game wasn't a huge upset. It was just the ending of a curse. The Bison finished 7-3 that year and UND was 8-2 (regular season). This year's teams aren't that close talent wise. That doesn't mean UND couldn't do something and surprise everyone, but I would say it's extremely unlikely. UND fans being optimistic and predicting otherwise is fine and expected of fans of any team and Bison fans talking down to them is also indicative of a rivalry. Whether or not the game is competitive has nothing to do with whether or not it's a rivalry. Alabama-Tennessee is a huge rivalry but Alabama has won 12 in a row by an average of 25 points (most were over 30). Alabama has been ranked 1 or 2 in 8 of those games and Tennessee has only been ranked twice (20th in 2007 the only time Alabama wasn't ranked in the top 8 and 9th in 2016).

Are these schools rivals? Absolutely. Does that mean the game will be close or competitive? Absolutely not.

10 minutes ago, the green team said:

What is considered a successful offensive game for Danny's O against this defense?  X 1st downs, X points? Or Other factors?   What would be considered not good enough/needs improvement or a disaster? Curious about peoples personal benchmarks going into a game like this of what woulld be deemed as successful, a step in the right direction, needs work or this is a disaster.

To me, ultimately, time of possession would be biggest factor.  Can we be offensively effective enough to possess the ball for 4+ minutes, and keep our defense, especially the run defense players, fresh. This was often our Achilles heal with Rudy as OC.  Even if it doesn't end with points every time, because it won't, flipping the field will be an asset.  God, I sound like Bubba!   But, if we have the ball for that long, that means we're getting first downs and marching down the field.  Some of those drives are going to results in points, probably through the air.  If we can get our passing game established enough to be able to do a little running, I would consider that a success.  And, oh yeah, outscoring their offense ;)

4 minutes ago, MIBT said:

As I recall the 12 game win streak the Bison had in the 80s and 90s the teams were competitive many of those years. There wasn't a big talent gap between the teams and the 1993 game wasn't a huge upset. It was just the ending of a curse. The Bison finished 7-3 that year and UND was 8-2 (regular season). This year's teams aren't that close talent wise. That doesn't mean UND couldn't do something and surprise everyone, but I would say it's extremely unlikely. UND fans being optimistic and predicting otherwise is fine and expected of fans of any team and Bison fans talking down to them is also indicative of a rivalry. Whether or not the game is competitive has nothing to do with whether or not it's a rivalry. Alabama-Tennessee is a huge rivalry but Alabama has won 12 in a row by an average of 25 points (most were over 30). Alabama has been ranked 1 or 2 in 8 of those games and Tennessee has only been ranked twice (20th in 2007 the only time Alabama wasn't ranked in the top 8 and 9th in 2016).

Are these schools rivals? Absolutely. Does that mean the game will be close or competitive? Absolutely not.

1985-1990 was quite horrible and one-sided, talent wise and on the scoreboard.   

32 minutes ago, ND1 said:

My biggest concern as well 

My biggest concern is for the Fargodome custodial staff who need to clean the bizon fans urine and other substances off the walls, floors, seats each game day.  Similar to farm animals, they just go when they gotta go, no matter where they are.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Exactly.  The extent of their research for this game was NDSU won big last week, they are the defending Champions, they are playing at home, they are playing a team that went 6-5 last year and UN D is starting their backup QB.  Maybe I am giving them too much credit.  Sure, Vegas never likes to lose money, but there is so little action on FCS games compared to the rest of the NCAA and the NFL, that it is hardly a blip on their radar.  30.5 I think is too high.  I would likely put it at around 22-24.  

You do understand that point spreads are set to equalize betting on both sides of the bet thereby locking in a profit for the house. Other than the initial spread, the spread is set by bettors voting with their dollars.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You do understand that point spreads are set to equalize betting on both sides of the bet thereby locking in a profit for the house. Other than the initial spread, the spread is set by bettors voting with their dollars.

Exactly.....line opened at UND +26.5. It's now at UND +31.5 meaning bets were/are coming in on NDSU to lay the points thus increasing the spread to try to attract some bets on UND and the points.

Obviously looking for a competitive game and hopefully an upset.

IMO UND getting 31.5 is way too much. UND should cover that easily.

58 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Exactly.....line opened at UND +26.5. It's now at UND +31.5 meaning bets were/are coming in on NDSU to lay the points thus increasing the spread to try to attract some bets on UND and the points.

This just shows how Hubris the Bison betting fans are, using Big Lubowski's take here.

• Upvote 1

Over the past couple of days I'm becoming increasingly confident that this will be a close game. I absolutely believe that this years UND is severely underrated by just about everyone, which is understandable for those that don't follow them closely. The truth is nobody really knows how this game is going to play out. I realize it was Drake, but I saw nothing in the first game that would make me change course that this is a good football team. NDSU is a very good football team, we know that, but how good? This years version of NDSU isn't supposed to be as good as last years, correct? The scenario I have in mind right now is that Butler is straight up not a good football team. That can lead based on the team they had last year (in which they lost a ton) and the result in week 1, we could see not only overconfidence, but that they overall aren't at that level just yet of years past. By the way some have talked this week, it seems like this is going to be a matchup of the best NDSU they've ever had and the worst version UND has. That's not the case. I'm ready to get this going!

Prediction: UND 28 NDSU 24

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Well, if the spread really is too high you'd expect some of that legendary "own the farm" money to move it down where it ought to be. At UND +31.5 it's easy money...right? You better get yourself some of that.

6 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Well, if the spread really is too high you'd expect some of that legendary "own the farm" money to move it down where it ought to be.

Yeah I think that is mostly just the arrogance, its way to early in the season to judge, but the last time Butler and Drake met, Butler got crushed by 30 points, So being that UND just crushed Drake by a very wide margin that makes NDSU's defeat of Butler less intimidating. I didn't watch either game as I was up fishing in a place with no signal and no wifi but, all the information suggests that this should be a very close match up, which as much as the Farm may hate the Airstrip, a close highly competitive game would go a long way to restoring the rivalry.

13 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Well, if the spread really is too high you'd expect some of that legendary "own the farm" money to move it down where it ought to be. At UND +31.5 it's easy money...right? You better get yourself some of that.

Your "own the pharm" money is driving it up...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

the point spreads for FCS games are strictly a mathematical model which resembles Massey very closely.  They know nothing and put no time into it whatsoever.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

the point spreads for FCS games are strictly a mathematical model which resembles Massey very closely.  They know nothing and put no time into it whatsoever.

That's exactly the point. The house doesn't make money by winning its bet with with bettors more often than it loses, that would expose them to losing money. It locks in a profit by equalizing the amount wagered on either side of a proposition and pocketing its cut.The house isn't interested in gambling with its own money.  They don't care if the spread is accurate as long as it locks in their profit.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

It is reasonable the Bison score 38 but I don't think so.  UND is better than giving up 38.

How much better? Considering the stats from the last time we played you would have to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
Was the 2015 meeting the most lopside game in the history of the Fargo dome? THe final score may not truly reflect how humiliating that game truly was. Klieman was a gentleman and Bubba was well aware of it.

First downs: 21 to 3.
Time of possession at 36:36.
Total yards......61. Which is the record low for a visitor in the Fargo dome. NDSU had 377 including 262 in the air for 4 TD's.
The Fighting Hawks had 4 yards rushing on 26 carries.

Classy move by Chris to take the foot off the gas as the point was proven. THe game starts with recruiting, it has been dominant.

34 minutes ago, bison73 said:

How much better? Considering the stats from the last time we played you would have to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
Was the 2015 meeting the most lopside game in the history of the Fargo dome? THe final score may not truly reflect how humiliating that game truly was. Klieman was a gentleman and Bubba was well aware of it.

First downs: 21 to 3.
Time of possession at 36:36.
Total yards......61. Which is the record low for a visitor in the Fargo dome. NDSU had 377 including 262 in the air for 4 TD's.
The Fighting Hawks had 4 yards rushing on 26 carries.

Classy move by Chris to take the foot off the gas as the point was proven. THe game starts with recruiting, it has been dominant.

2015 is not relevant.

I don't think UND gives up more than 28.  I think o/u line at 49 is fine.  I'm guessing 28-21 Bison.   But pulling for the upset.  And I think it can happen this year.  The stars are aligned.