SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 DI Mens Ice Hockey Championship

Cratter

18 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Would you have traded a 30 win season for an 18 win season or is it better to be a game over .500 than be in the field of 16?

I've been at peace with UND's season since Canisius.

While this is Sioux sports and all, I don't know why your response is to bring up UND's season.  Clown recruited a stud and Denver poached him, that has nothing to do with UND.

Only one team gets to end their season with a W, all others whether 20 games over .500 or 20 games under end with an L.. The mission at UND is to be the one that ends with a W.  We didn't get that opportunity to achieve that this season and SCSU did but didn't take advantage of it.

25 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I've been at peace with UND's season since Canisius.

While this is Sioux sports and all, I don't know why your response is to bring up UND's season.  Clown recruited a stud and Denver poached him, that has nothing to do with UND.

There was another snarky comment about "what time does St Cloud play tonight?" posted yesterday afternoon (not by you personally).  It takes some real chutzpah to poke fun at the misfortunes of another team when our own team pretty much sucked this year.  I guess I just prefer to keep my mouth shut.  I'd have taken St Cloud's place in a heartbeat -- 30 win seasons snag recruits.  .500 seasons snag lots of question marks.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

There was another snarky comment about "what time does St Cloud play tonight?" posted yesterday afternoon (not by you personally).  It takes some real chutzpah to poke fun at the misfortunes of another team when our own team pretty much sucked this year.  I guess I just prefer to keep my mouth shut.  I'd have taken St Cloud's place in a heartbeat -- 30 win seasons snag recruits.  .500 seasons snag lots of question marks.  

Guttman flipping was a major storyline last year, it's just an observation. I wanted them to go distance, and I'm pretty sure I posted on here sympathizing with their fans after the upset.

That said, we definitely had a glass houses-type season.

4 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Guttman flipping was a major storyline last year, it's just an observation. I wanted them to go distance, and I'm pretty sure I posted on here sympathizing with their fans after the upset.

That said, we definitely had a glass houses-type season.

I wasn't trying to imply that your comment was snarky towards St Cloud.  Agree on Guttman flipping being a huge story.

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Only one team gets to end their season with a W, all others whether 20 games over .500 or 20 games under end with an L.

Technically not true.  You could win your last regular season game and not make the conference playoffs or win a conference playoff 3rd place game and still miss the NCAA tournament. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Technically not true.  You could win your last regular season game and not make the conference playoffs or win a conference playoff 3rd place game and still miss the NCAA tournament. 

Well that is another reason to get rid of the third place game:D

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

The kid has been suspended for tomorrow night's game.

...and Duluth's good fortune continues.  I am sure Denver would have liked to have the benefit of a power play out of the fiasco, but since the refs screwed that up, another team is going to benefit.  If this review thing isn't applied evenly, then get rid of it. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

...and Duluth's good fortune continues.  I am sure Denver would have liked to have the benefit of a power play out of the fiasco, but since the refs screwed that up, another team is going to benefit.  If this review thing isn't applied evenly, then get rid of it. 

Duluth gets all the breaks. gfhockey told be the refs were related to Sandy.

51 minutes ago, jodcon said:

Duluth gets all the breaks. gfhockey told be the refs were related to Sandy.

Duluth earns some of their breaks as well.  Let's give credit where credit is due.  Don't want to be like some of the gopher fans that were saying how cheap we were when we won the National Championship.  Don't know where they got that out of the game, but I guess they are looking through a different perspective.  Duluth just plays well when the chips are on the line in  games and in the tournament.  That said, I would hope that a bad bounce or two or an untimely penalty down the stretch in one of the one goal games will eventually turn against them. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Duluth earns some of their breaks as well.  Let's give credit where credit is due.  Don't want to be like some of the gopher fans that were saying how cheap we were when we won the National Championship.  Don't know where they got that out of the game, but I guess they are looking through a different perspective.  Duluth just plays well when the chips are on the line in  games and in the tournament.  

You almost have to think of them as a tournament team lately (meaning they rise to the occasion) which really isn't a feel-good thing for me. Or probably anybody else.

I have to give some credit to UMD.  The funny thing is, I find them far from dominant.  When you watch a game, you don't come away thinking they were a powerhouse.  Through two periods of their NCHC final against SCSU, SC looked far superior and should have been ahead about 5-1.  But there was UMD with the trophy a few hours later.  I didn't see the BGSU game, but Duluth was down with four minutes to go, and they managed to win.  And most of the game against Providence seemed like a pretty equal matchup.  Then you look up, there are ten minutes left, Duluth has the lead, and Providence can't even buy a decent chance the rest of the way.  For as much as people wished UND scored more, Duluth has won these last two years without scoring.  Or, more accurately, by scoring just barely enough.  Compare them, for instance, to the 2016 Sioux team, which dominated down the stretch, winning most of its NCAA games handily.  Duluth dominates no one, but they are great at one thing, keeping the puck out of their net, which leads to being great at the only thing, winning.  This isn't a dig at UND's coaches, who I support, but Duluth is really well coached.  And they've benefited from decades of good fortune being shoved into a couple year span. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jk said:

I have to give some credit to UMD.  The funny thing is, I find them far from dominant.  When you watch a game, you don't come away thinking they were a powerhouse.  Through two periods of their NCHC final against SCSU, SC looked far superior and should have been ahead about 5-1.  But there was UMD with the trophy a few hours later.  I didn't see the BGSU game, but Duluth was down with four minutes to go, and they managed to win.  And most of the game against Providence seemed like a pretty equal matchup.  Then you look up, there are ten minutes left, Duluth has the lead, and Providence can't even buy a decent chance the rest of the way.  For as much as people wished UND scored more, Duluth has won these last two years without scoring.  Or, more accurately, by scoring just barely enough.  Compare them, for instance, to the 2016 Sioux team, which dominated down the stretch, winning most of its NCAA games handily.  Duluth dominates no one, but they are great at one thing, keeping the puck out of their net, which leads to being great at the only thing, winning.  This isn't a dig at UND's coaches, who I support, but Duluth is really well coached.  And they've benefited from decades of good fortune being shoved into a couple year span. 

For sure, there isn't a forward that they have that strikes the fear in you, or that you say is a sure thing NHL top six guy, but they do what they have to do to win.

6 minutes ago, jk said:

2-1

2-1

2-1

2-1

2-1

3-1...empty net goals

4-1 2 empty net goals