SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

34 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

This too, looks nice.

I also would have like if they went out-of-the box for their court design... but how do you encompass ND like these courts

59402706277b37e38143eb7ef89433b7--basket

courtspng-3125188_768x432.jpg

Really the court as is with the green sidelines, that’s kinda our landscape pic the same way Denver has the mountains ghosted in there.

1 hour ago, Davlun said:

It's easy to tarnish the legacy of someone who has passed away. How much should the foundation give UND? We need them and insulting them isn't the way to put handle this. 

We don’t need them. We’d probably have a healthier athletics program without them. They aren’t the only ones with money.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We don’t need them. We’d probably have a healthier athletics program without them. 

In the short term, yes. Lot of hope/trust that maintaining a relationship will lead to future donations. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

In the short term, yes. Lot of hope/trust that maintaining a relationship will lead to future donations. 

I don’t think it’s sustainable or flexible to over-rely on one big donor. There is also potential that other donors donate less because they figure the Engelstad family will pick up the slack.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fetch said:

Sico brought back this brain Fart from the past - point is / was I could follow any team (USHL) ? That could / would play at the Ralph as the Fighting Sioux 

I don't believe that UND would sign off on selling the trademarks for "Fighting Sioux" and the logo's

1 hour ago, Davlun said:

Really, how many other donors do we have to give us a gift like this. It has made UND and Grand Forks a showcase of hockey. The gift has benefited our community in many ways. 

The gift was delivered back in 2001. It isn't like we are getting tens of millions of dollars from them annually.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The gift was delivered back in 2001. It isn't like we are getting tens of millions of dollars from them annually.

I think his point is how the "gift" has benefited the community as a whole since it opened.  Think of the dollars spent on hotels, restaurants, shopping, ect....within the community any time the Ralph hosts an event. To look at this "gift" as a one time entity is ignorant and very myopic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think his point is how the "gift" has benefited the community as a whole since it opened.  Think of the dollars spent on hotels, restaurants, shopping, ect....within the community any time the Ralph host an event. To look at this "gift" as a one time entity is ignorant and very myopic.

You mean, like giving the Engelstad family a pass forever and refusing to acknowledge even the possibility that they may be acting out of self-interest rather than the best interests of UND?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You mean, like giving the Engelstad family a pass forever and refusing to acknowledge even the possibility that they may be acting out of self-interest rather than the best interests of UND?

Not disagreeing but that argument is apples to oranges.

1 hour ago, Davlun said:

Really, how many other donors do we have to give us a gift like this. It has made UND and Grand Forks a showcase of hockey. The gift has benefited our community in many ways. 

That wasn't the point and it isn't the point. Bolstering hockey while isolating the other programs does not equate to a healthy athletic department as a whole. That is the overall concern here. The logo is simply a component of the overall issue.  Yes, the Ralph Engelstad Arena is a tremendous venue. The hockey program is a top national program. But, the concern is still there that the University of North Dakota lacks in its other programs considering it's division one status and *potential* revenue redistribution opportunities. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That wasn't the point and it isn't the point. Bolstering hockey while isolating the other programs does not equate to a healthy athletic department as a whole. That is the overall concern here. The logo is simply a component of the overall issue.  Yes, the Ralph Engelstad Arena is a tremendous venue. The hockey program is a top national program. But, the concern is still there that the University of North Dakota lacks in its other programs considering it's division one status and *potential* revenue redistribution opportunities. 

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Too many eggs in that niche basket.

What time do you guys, along with Noise, typically meet at the Cenex in Hillsboro each morning to put your group think thoughts together??? ;)

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

What time do you guys, with Noise, typically meet at the Cenex in Hillsboro each morning to put your group think thoughts together??? ;)

Hillsboro is only a cup of coffee away.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

How did you conjecture all that from his one post?  :huh:  The post of his you are referencing is factual in all 3 points he makes.  There was nothing mentioned of inequality, logo, or revenue distribution. If you are going to present an argument at least keep in on the rails as to what was presented.

17 hours ago, southpaw said:

I don't have a problem with the plan approved by every team that plays at the Betty.  Get used to it.   That's what the ice at the Ralph should look like as well. Only FH logo at the center. North Dakota should always be secondary to the logo, just like I'm sure you agree the Sioux logo should have always been first.

Had REA just put North Dakota at center ice, and not the Sioux logo, would you have told everyone to "get used to it"?

No to your question.   I am very grateful for the REA, especially every time I'm in the place.

Having North Dakota at center court (as KEM wants), yes, is different than other schools.  Isn't that a good outcome?  At least that has an inkling of uniqueness.

14 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

No to your question.   I am very grateful for the REA, especially every time I'm in the place.

Having North Dakota at center court (as KEM wants), yes, is different than other schools.  Isn't that a good outcome?  At least that has an inkling of uniqueness.

It's unique because most every other school in America is not stupid enough to do it.  

9 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Not every other school in America was forced to give up their iconic logo and then voluntarily chose to get rid of their next best option on their own.:(

Doesn't mean they should put their school name on the court, especially when it's two words.  Awful.