SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

59 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

He didn't mince words. That was what he believed.  Some other things were that he didn't realize how good '15-16 team was until after the fact since he had no other team to compare it to.  '16-17 was a big step back in talent level. '17-18 team was a really good step forward from previous year(surprising to hear since they missed NCAAs). Then said he thinks this team is set up to be closer to '15-16 level but qualified it saying he can't 100% they will be as good because that team was special. Then he said "...of course if we lose to Bemidji no one cares about that, people want to see results" :lol: 

So a team without Boeser, Jost and Tucker Poolman was a step up from a team with them.  I could see if he used the word potential in that, as I think when Kawaguchi, Adams, Mismash, Bast and Kiersted have more time under their belts they might be very special, but they showed they had a learning curve last year. 

25 minutes ago, tnt said:

So a team without Boeser, Jost and Tucker Poolman was a step up from a team with them.  I could see if he used the word potential in that, as I think when Kawaguchi, Adams, Mismash, Bast and Kiersted have more time under their belts they might be very special, but they showed they had a learning curve last year. 

Don't shoot the messenger :D

I believe in today's college hockey you must have a legitimate threat of offense from your third line and the top two lines be more than just a threat but producing consistently. 

That said, I'm very concerned about offense this season. 

The top six I see are Jones, Hain, Kawaguchi, Mismash, Gardner, JJ. That scares me because I don't see two full consistent production lines there. 

The make or break guys are Weatherby, Yon, Bowen, Adams, Smith, Hoff. For every one of the top six that don't produce, one of these six must, and beyond that, at least two more must produce.

I see 12 names there. I'm struggling to find a consistent 2.5 GPG throughout a season. And frankly, I could see games where the offense is going so poorly they put out a line-up without a traditional "fourth line" scraping for any scoring. Mentioning "fourth" ... 

Johnson, Senden, Keane? I see them as the match-up/energy line guys all season long. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

16: Stetcher, T Poolman, Thompson, LaDue, Ausmus, Chartrand, Wolanin, Shaw

19: Bast, Kierstad, Peski, C Poolman, Tychonick, Rieger, Bernard-Docker, Shaw

And Matt Shaw is saying that in any conversation? That's a pretty high bar. 

Looking at that list, if a player has a bad game or weekend, someone very talented is going to be sitting out. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe in today's college hockey you must have a legitimate threat of offense from your third line and the top two lines be more than just a threat but producing consistently. 

The top six I see are Jones, Hain, Kawaguchi, Mismash, Gardner, JJ. That scares me because I don't see two full consistent production lines there. 

The make or break guys are Weatherby, Yon, Bowen, Adams, Smith, Hoff. For every one of the top six that don't produce, one of these six must, and beyond that, at least two more must produce.

I see 12 names there. I'm struggling to find a consistent 2.5 GPG throughout a season. And frankly, I could see games where the offense is going so poorly they put out a line-up without a traditional "fourth line" scraping for any scoring. Mentioning "fourth" ... 

Johnson, Senden, Keane? I see them as the match-up/energy line guys all season long. 

It’s not time to panic just yet :)

20 hours ago, tnt said:

I think he was talking about the freshman class that came in that year. I could have read that wrong. They way I took it, the class was a better influx of talent last year than the freshman class that was brought in two years ago.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you're looking from pure NHL draft stock, there's a 1st and second rounder in 19 and none in 16. Hard to compare a finished product to a pure talent discussion, obviously, but I think Shaw is saying the kids are very talented. I can see how it's taken with controversy, but it's not a huge reach when you have a group with two very high draft picks in there.

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Just looked and during the 11 games the "heavy line" was together, they combined for 8 goals and 10 assists. Pretty fantastic for a shutdown line. 

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I posted a few months back how I thought this defensive core was going to be deeper than the '16 group, won't be as talented with the Top 4, but I'd take 5-7 this year over '16. Kierstad / Shaw / Peski > Thompson / Wolanin (FR) / Shaw (FR)

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

We'll see how it plays out, but count me in the group that's concerned about the forwards. I like that you have a built in first line of Kawaguchi / Jones / Mismash, who will be better this year than last year. Gardner is a great piece for the 2nd line center, where I'll disagree with you, is I don't think Hain is Top 6, JJ is borderline. I would hope Adams gets a shot to start the year, he is a talented offensive player, then I'd say it's a coin flip between JJ / Weatherby. My make or break guys are Hoff & Bowen, this team needs something from that junior class. 

Mismash / Jones / Kawaguchi

Weatherby / Garnder / Adams

JJ / Hoff / Hain

That's not a bad Top 9, Bowen / Smith would be solid 4th line guys. It didn't happen last year, but like you said, we need some offense from the 3rd line this year.

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

After the top six forwards, the numbers of Duluth don’t stand out above and beyond, but I think they had better production and consistency from their top six. A lot of teams struggle to score consistently, but that is why having a defensive corps that can help out a lot is huge. Like Schlossman’s blog said, special teams are the difference, and we have to be better killing penalties and scoring on the power play. Timely scoring is going to be the difference between all the ties, and taking a step forward this year.

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

th?id=OIP.TqUU8v1q3Yl6xeNRoUgqHAHaDI&pid=15.1&P=0&w=395&h=168

Keep the faith Sic! :)

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Maybe it was mentioned here already and I missed it, but was there an iron man competition for the team this year? Also, there sure isn't much information coming out so far about how things are looking on the ice.

The coaches can only spend limited time with them before October 6th. I don't recall there being much info coming out before this time in previous years?

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

But this has been an eerily quiet offseason and an even quieter preseason, so... 

not just for UND, but it’s just seeemed real quiet across college hockey. 

Is gfhockey in jail on a probation violation?

• Upvote 1