SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

On 9/23/2018 at 11:02 AM, darell1976 said:

Why can’t our kicker get any touchbacks? ISU’s kicker was kicking them 5-7 yards into the end zone while our kicker couldn’t kick to the 5 yard line. Get a kicker with a strong leg.

Just looked up the ISU kicker's stats. We're not alone in not getting any touchbacks. Both are true freshmen - so hopefully young Mr. Leach starts booming them further as he progresses.

KICKOFFS  No.  Yards     Avg   TB   OB  Retn  Net  YdLn 
SHEIDOW, C.   13  732  56.3 
Total..........  13  732  56.3  24.3  32.0  33 
Opponents......  11  696  63.3  20.2  40.0  25 

Our opponents have been marginally better than our kicker:

Kickoffs
Individual Kickoffs Statistics
# Player NO YDS AVG TB OB
  Totals 17 935 55.0 0 0
  Opponents 23 1337 58.1 2 1
27 Leach, Brady 17 935 55.0 0 0
  • Upvote 1

So how does everyone feel about this team now? We are very close to being 4-1 rather than 3-2 but nonetheless here we sit at 3-2.

I am thinking we finish the season 7-4 with the schedule finishing out like:

Montana L

Sac St. W

Weber St. L

Idaho W

Portland St. W

NAU W

On 9/25/2018 at 8:56 PM, shep said:

Yep, You are the ONLY one who wants the football team to win a Natty. The rest of us, just want to go to games on Saturday, watch them lose and go out to eat and be happy to have seen a game.

Do I have it right?

Nope.  Evidently some of us just want to make sure Bubba and the team wear plenty of Fighting Hawks logos on their outfits...

8 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

So how does everyone feel about this team now? We are very close to being 4-1 rather than 3-2 but nonetheless here we sit at 3-2.

Montana L

Sac St. W

Weber St. L

Idaho W

Portland St. W

NAU W

Looks about right to me. I think if we can get by Montana we’re a playoff team. If not this is what I’d expect. Montana is a good team but with us coming off a bye week I’m hoping we sneak one out. 

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Montana L

Sac St. W

Weber St. L

Idaho W

Portland St. W

NAU W

It appears we can't win at the Alerus Center. So much for home field advantage. Maybe UND should just schedule every game on the road?

7 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Montana L

Sac St. W

Weber St. L

Idaho W

Portland St. W

NAU W

Coming into the year, my prediction was 7-4, which I would be fine with IF the following happened, (1) No blow out losses in the FCS portion of the schedule (2) Couple of lopsided wins (not counting the first game). The UNC game was very important as it showed that UND can dominate a "conference" team. If this team can find consistency on offense, they can be a pretty good team. It's frustrating to know that all they'd need to be 4-1 is if they scored 7 points in each second half. Looking at their remaining schedule, they are all winnable games. I don't expect them to run the table, but there's no "automatic" losses. I do like that they have Montana (better team at home) and Weber State at home. I don't anticipate them losing both of those games. I see 8-3 as a real possibility. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, gundy1124 said:

Montana, the team that lost to Western Ill., and Montana St. beat Western Ill if anyone noticed.  Sac St. and Cal Poly rushed all over the Griz.  Cal Poly turned the ball over too much including a fumble 6.  The Griz run D is so bad it managed to make Smok'n Joe Perothroe look relevant again. (He's not)  NDSU made Cal Poly look like a high school team.

Let's stop creaming our pants about Montana, we could not have played any worse our last few meetings and barring major injuries in our bye week will be healthy.  I swear half our posters man crush on the Griz.  We better win this frickin game!!

Agreed.

Time to get another pelt. 

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sac st on the road should be tougher than the griz in the alerus. 

I agree.

Cal Poly against Eastern Washington, 70-17 to add some perspective.

Cal Poly had 412 rushing yards and 32 1st downs against the Griz. 

Sac St. rushed for 251, 5.8 per carry against the Griz.

Seriously, what more could we ask for.

50 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Montana, the team that lost to Western Ill., and Montana St. beat Western Ill if anyone noticed.  Sac St. and Cal Poly rushed all over the Griz.  Cal Poly turned the ball over too much including a fumble 6.  The Griz run D is so bad it managed to make Smok'n Joe Perothroe look relevant again. (He's not)  NDSU made Cal Poly look like a high school team.

Let's stop creaming our pants about Montana, we could not have played any worse our last few meetings and barring major injuries in our bye week we will be healthy.  I swear half our posters man crush on the Griz.  We better win this frickin game!!

Lol, at smokin joe

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Let's stop creaming our pants about Montana, we could not have played any worse our last few meetings and barring major injuries in our bye week we will be healthy.  I swear half our posters man crush on the Griz.  We better win this frickin game!!

I hope you’re right! I was debating on switching one of the Montana or Weber games to W’s but decided to be conservative. 

12 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I agree with you on this, we should win this game...especially at home.  To me this is a MUST win game, I don't think Bubba has beaten Montana yet.  There are no injury excuses this time, we've got to beat them.  The game still makes me a little nervous just because we have not beat them recently, and I don't think I can handle losing to them again and having to listen to their fan base.  I want to beat them by 20 plus!  And for whatever it's worth, other people think to seem it matters if you beat EWU and Montana even if they are having down years and we just haven't done that, yet. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree with you on this, we should win this game...especially at home.  To me this is a MUST win game, I don't think Bubba has beaten Montana yet.  There are no injury excuses this time, we've got to beat them.  The game still makes me a little nervous just because we have not beat them recently, and I don't think I can handle losing to them again and having to listen to their fan base.  I want to beat them by 20 plus!  And for whatever it's worth, other people think to seem it matters if you beat EWU and Montana even if they are having down years and we just haven't done that, yet. 

The only time Bubba has faced Montana with a legit starting qb was 2014 with Mollberg.

As long as the OL and LBs stay healthy, I think UND will beat everyone left on the schedule other than Weber St. in a close one. If the Montana game was in Missoula I would probably count that as an L, but I think UND will run all over them, which will open up the pass game and they'll pass all over them too. They need to get these penalties figured out asap but It's so nice that UND has depth at QB, RB, DL and WR this year. 

Idaho State is a good team that UND played poorly against and still almost beat. I have more confidence in them after the beat down they laid this past weekend in spite of all the penalties. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

As long as the OL and LBs stay healthy, I think UND will beat everyone left on the schedule other than Weber St. in a close one. If the Montana game was in Missoula I would probably count that as an L, but I think UND will run all over them, which will open up the pass game and they'll pass all over them too. They need to get these penalties figured out asap but It's so nice that UND has depth at QB, RB, DL and WR this year. 

Idaho State is a good team that UND played poorly against and still almost beat. I have more confidence in them after the beat down they laid this past weekend in spite of all the penalties. 

I agree.  Those 2 position groups are the difference so far this season.  If Kett does not fumble that hand-off vs ISU, we go up 21-6, win by 15-20 and are right now 4-1.  The improvement at OL and LB from last season will take this team a long ways.  Need to stop the senseless penalties.