SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

After we got up 21-0 there was a noticible change then it went back to being aggressive. We punted three times in a row after going up 21-0. Then we got more aggressive again.

Fair enough.  I think those had as much to do with execution as they did the actual play calls but we can agree to disagree.  I’m thinking of the trips pass to Wanzek (forced by Ket) and a good defensive play on JJ run.  

Came back with the same plays later and they worked. It is what it is.  

I liked the 4th down and short call in the red zone. Showed aggression in the second half while still up 34-0. 

Went with full house backfield with all three backs (Santiago, Oliveira, and Johannesson) and went with play action pass; good call just needed to be executed better.  

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Offense is still designed basic, but you’re absolutely right; Kettingham’s ability to throw and hit the deep ball will absolutely revolutionize the UND offense. 

Rudolph just needs to keep calling those plays. 

#1 offensive play call improvement I saw: deep pass plays called right after turnovers. Hit ‘em when it hurts! Love that aggressiveness ... as a result, UND football finially delivers a big time blow out win!! 

Key is still forcing turnovers though. Don’t overlook that. Forcing turnovers wins games. 

I agree.  It was to actually see the deep ball.  Keep the D honest.  Und has nice talent on offense ...use it. But they still have that complete ultra conservative stretch that can/could sway the momentum to the oppsoning team.  That’s frustrating!   Und has now scored a whopping 10 pts in the 3rd qtr in their 6 games.  Zero in four straight.  That needs to change!!! Sac st will not be a good indicator but Weber will possess a formidable D that will truly test the offense on what many teams outside of the big sky have for defenses. 

1 hour ago, Devils said:

I don't think Rudy is the best OC ever, but you guys would have been complaining if they had been aggressive when they were up 21-0 and had an int returned or a strip sack, etc.  Just the nature of fans that have to always find something negative.  

I’ll only complain about being aggressive if it’s a triple reverse in field goal range when we can ice the game with 3 points.

48 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I agree.  It was to actually see the deep ball.  Keep the D honest.  Und has nice talent on offense ...use it. But they still have that complete ultra conservative stretch that can/could sway the momentum to the oppsoning team.  That’s frustrating!   Und has now scored a whopping 10 pts in the 3rd qtr in their 6 games.  Zero in four straight.  That needs to change!!! Sac st will not be a good indicator but Weber will possess a formidable D that will truly test the offense on what many teams outside of the big sky have for defenses. 

Still waiting for a throw to McKinney. He’s a really good sweep guy. I want to see him in a tunnel screen.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Still waiting for a throw to McKinney. He’s a really good sweep guy. I want to see him in a tunnel screen.

I might be wrong....but I think McKinney on the sweep has gotten positive yardage every time....he can move.  There are a few times I didn't think he'd get much but he still ended up picking up 5 yards.....that speed and shiftiness makes the difference.   I don't think he's ever been shut down for no gain on that play yet.  I agree, getting him the ball in space would be a good thing. 

Had the opportunity to go to the game yesterday. Great all around game.  Maybe the best game for a UND team under Bubba?

Defense was outstanding all day. For the starters to not give up any points is just amazing. Evan Holm running down the rb was huge. The dline was disruptive all day. The qb was nervous the entire game. 

Loved seeing the offense score tds after the turnovers. Rudy called a very good game. Constantly changed personnel groups and used people’s strengths. 2nd half wasn’t very exciting but we were able to pound the ball consistently. 

Special teams is still concerning. One punt blocked and two others should have been. Also missed extra points can’t happen. 

For those saying Montana is garbage...stop. Montana is a team that beat a solid Valley team and lost a close game to another.  Let’s give the team and coaches the credit they deserve for this win. 

Now go beat Sac St!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, homer said:

We had two possessions in the third and one was picked in the end zone.  That play was wide open and if the players execute better it’s an easy score. 

Ketteringham was the only player that could have executed that play better.

He throw it to the one Montana player who was trying to cover the two UND players by himself.

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Ketteringham was the only player that could have executed that play better.

He throw it to the one Montana player who was trying to cover the two UND players by himself.

Disagree. Brady should have stayed to the inside or gone deeper in the end zone. They made it too easy for one guy to defend two. Gotta be able to improvise at the top of a route in that situation.

• Upvote 1

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Disagree. Brady should have stayed to the inside or gone deeper in the end zone. They made it too easy for one guy to defend two. Gotta be able to improvise at the top of a route in that situation.

I've been told by numerous tv announcers the QB needs to throw the ball where only his receivers can catch it. Ketteringham had two options: shorter pass or longer pass. He picked the middle pass where the Montana player was at.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I've been told by numerous tv announcers the QB needs to throw the ball where only his receivers can catch it. Ketteringham had two options: shorter pass or longer pass. He picked the middle pass where the Montana player was at.

ketts needs to know "ZERO TURNOVERS IN THE RED ZONE"....throw the ball thru the endzone and take the field goal (but when it's fourth down yes you can force it)

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The play is at the 4:52 mark. The defender does an excellent job. He goes at the short guy but anticipates the throw to the deep guy. Had Brady taken his route 5 yards deeper or just sat down inside it’s an easy TD pitch and catch.

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The play is at the 4:52 mark. The defender does an excellent job. He goes at the short guy but anticipates the throw to the deep guy. Had Brady taken his route 5 yards deeper or just sat down inside it’s an easy TD pitch and catch.

Brady was running a perfect route straight to the back of the endzone. Then the ball was thrown.

Brady suddenly sees the ball in the air and has to adjust his route.

Brady runs toward the ball, "five yards in from his original planned route."

If Ketteringham doesn't weak throw it and actually throws it to the back of the end zone, Brady takes two quick steps backwards and "Boom. Touchdown!"

There's no doubt the ball was underthrown.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Brady was running a perfect route straight to the back of the endzone. Then the ball was thrown.

Brady suddenly sees the ball in the air and has to adjust his route.

Brady runs toward the ball, "five yards in from his original planned route."

If Ketteringham doesn't weak throw it and actually throws it to the back of the end zone, Brady takes two quick steps backwards and "Boom. Touchdown!"

No he wasn’t. Watch the play. He ran right behind the defenders back. He made it too easy on to defend. Should have been an easy TD.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

No he wasn’t. Watch the play. He ran right behind the defenders back. He made it too easy on to defend. Should have been an easy TD.

I watched it numerous times. Ball was underthrown. Ketteringham should have thrown it deeper in the end zone. That is where it wouldn't have been picked off and Brady would have easily ran under the ball.

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I watched it numerous times. Ball was underthrown. Ketteringham should have thrown it deeper in the end zone. That is where it wouldn't have been picked off and Brady would have easily ran under the ball.

That’s not where he ran and he had his hips facing outside. It would have been really hard for him to adjust to a deep throw, which is why he should have deepened his route in the first place.