SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And if you have a piss poor talent evaluator and play-caller on offense, your offense always goes to !@#$.

Both sides of the ball weren't working this year; thus the mere 3 wins. Folks, you don't go from 9 wins to 3 wins without major catastrophe. UND lost to arguably inferior teams this year (Sac State, UC Davis, Montana State); 6 wins was definitely doable this season despite the injuries. Things absolutely fell apart and people need to be held accountable. 

I agree with the accountablity.  I am not sure how much worse the offense really was vs last season.  First downs, Yards, Points.  do you have those stats readily available?  The defense was far different in rushing yards allowed and points allowed and defensive points scored.

15 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

He's probably coaching for his job next season, with the change in regime at the top of the athletic department.  If it does happen (I hope it doesn't) he's locked in until 2021 so there's some sticky economics involved, not to mention what USD and the xDSU's are paying which will need to be addressed also.  

Bubba will never be worried about his "next job." It's the reason und passed on Deboer.

16 minutes ago, SteppenHawk said:

Bubba will never be worried about his "next job." It's the reason und passed on Deboer.

Right, why hire a coach that could be successful for UND and move on? Look what Bohl did for NDSU - what a shame! Instead, lets hire for long-term mediocrity! Gotta love it! 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

As I recall, those three losses were more attributable to our depleted and non-sound tackling defense, which got shredded by fast read-option QBs, for the most part. There’s blame to go all around here on both sides of the ball, plus special teams. If Bubba is going to consider changes: then Schmitty and Kostich should be under review just as much as Rudy. 

Personally, I think this year was an anomaly year with injuries and a few bad apples not buying in to the program culture. Reset. Hit it hard next year and see  if we don’t rebound. If after that we are still languishing, make the proper adjustments at the top. 

The culture might already be irreversibly damaged, but let's see what happens next year. 

Either way, I think this year showed the deficiencies of our scheme and coaching staff. Yes, having better players available will lead to better results. That's not rocket science. But I just think more could have been done with this season than what the coaches and players were able to produce. 

Re: the QB situation for next year, my understanding is the best QB on our roster this year was ineligible due to transfer rules, so I do have hope that we will have a very good QB next year, depending on what he's allowed to do in the offense.  He also has some Big Sky game experience, which is helpful. 

Also, as it relates to Boltmann, I had heard that he is very similar to Studsrud, but is a better passer by a little bit.  Not sure on the accuracy of any of that, just what I'd heard from a few people.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think a gundy is largely correct.  If Rodgers, Harris and Larson don’t go down with injuries D would be much different.  CB and ILB incredibly important in an attacking style D.  If you can’t stop the run, everything else goes to !@#$.

Yeah, I think those guys make a big difference but the defense still struggled in other areas and that is why I didn't thing 3 player fix the situation.  IMO the DL was a major letdown this season and what looked going into the season like a strength ended up struggling.

46 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Yeah, I think those guys make a big difference but the defense still struggled in other areas and that is why I didn't thing 3 player fix the situation.  IMO the DL was a major letdown this season and what looked going into the season like a strength ended up struggling.

Having consistent LB play could have turned a lot of our competitors 2nd and 5s,  into 2nd and 9s.  Lots of times Rastas was in the right spot but physically could not make the tackle at the point of attack vs dragging a ball carrier down.  Early in the season the opposing offenses 1st down play was a run up the middle and their bail out play was a seam route to the WR.  Physically, guys were not ready to stop that.  

Our defense was successful last year because teams could not run against us.  Getting teams into 3rd and 7/8 makes bringing the pressure much more effective.  Having two thumpers in the middle would have helped.  I like Rastas, he was just physically ready to play 10 snaps a game this year and special teams vs 50 to 60 plays on defense.  

• Upvote 3

Just a thought - have any of you actually met with ANY of the coaches and shared your concerns? Or is this just a place to come and complain, and feel like you could do better? As a fan, that considers themselves a true fan, I have taken the time to meet with several of the coaches. They have always been more than willing to talk ball with me, and help me understand their rationale. 

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I have and do, save for Coach Agnew. Have not met him yet. All very good people who understand the rabid and mercurial nature of sports fandom. One day you're king of the court; the next you're the jester being carted off to the Pit of Despair.... Dilly, Dilly! 

Anyone recall when Rudolph was king of the court? ...... anyone?

19 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Yet, in spite of the injuries, sit at #1 in the nation.  Down in the most recent game, their offense picked up the slack and won the football game with the last 14 points.  Amazing how that works.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/node/4359552

Injuries, injuries, injuries...yet that other school can pluck a guy out of not one but two positions and have him starting at a third position this past weekend!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/node/4359552

Injuries, injuries, injuries...yet that other school can pluck a guy out of not one but two positions and have him starting at a third position this past weekend!  

So a 6-1, 205 lb sophomore is too small to play one game at LB, what about a 6’1”, 185 lb freshman next to a converted 6’, 200 lb.   

Makes it a little easier to plug in one player vs. 2 in the linebacking corps with 2nd stringers in the secondary behind you.  

6 hours ago, tnt said:

Don't know if this analogy is that pertinent.  They had all their skill players on offense,  which typically make up your first two lines in hockey.  Sure they lost a few offensive lineman and the rest were young, but look at how the young players are doing for UND in hockey.   Bottom line is it is apples to oranges, so why try draw that type of analogy.  There was a time when UND couldn't even dress a full lineup in hockey, yet made a run at getting to another Frozen Four.  

I don't think he was intending to say all of the skilled players were out, but of those players expected to play most of the minutes - we were missing half of them.  If you look at it that way it is analogous. 

Young players in hockey are different than in football.  In hockey they are expected to come in physically ready and to compete immediately - that is mostly not true in football.  It is a different game.  When Lennon was having success he essentially red-shirted his entire roster each year with an exception every few  years.  

Also there is not the two years of USHL or other junior programs for football players to develop after HS.

• Upvote 3