SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I heard some people during the WJC last year commenting on this topic. And it seemed like there was some nepotism going on. And yes, I know we won gold last year, but that doesn't mean there isn't some favoritism going on.

I mean there has to be a bit.  Mismash was never put in a top 9 role and Dooghe (5"3" 135 lbs) made the cut.  Mishmash was tied for the point lead on the U18 team last year and the rest of those boys seemed to make the first cut.  Berry needs to put Mismash with Pogo and Rhett and get him some points.  If we don't have any of our boys on the U20 team this year that'll be a buzzkill.

This current team is littered with Big10 and HE players.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I mean there has to be a bit.  Mismash was never put in a top 9 role and Dooghe (5"3" 135 lbs) made the cut.  Mishmash was tied for the point lead on the U18 team last year and the rest of those boys seemed to make the first cut.  Berry needs to put Mismash with Pogo and Rhett and get him some points.  If we don't have any of our boys on the U20 team this year that'll be a buzzkill.

I'm ok with having our full team for the entire season!!  Especially Mismash!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Really? I thought it was about putting the best team we can on the ice so we can shut up the Canadians. Guess not. :silly:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4306800-und-hockey-sells-out-season-ticket-allotment-again

"Center ice will have the new North Dakota hockey font, which was revealed last summer, inside the circle. It will say 'Ralph Engelstad Arena' around the outside of the circle."

Looks like text instead of the logo, which did not look great last time we did it (as has been stated before on here).

EDIT - Looks like this was posted in the "What do you think of the logo now?" thread and I missed it. Feel free to move or delete.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

With Wisconsin getting a new score/video board I think its time for the Ralph to get a NHL style score/video board and an on-ice projection system. It's time to be ahead of the rest of the NCAA.

Yeah I agree, it's due for an upgrade. 

However, it may take longer than usual when REA staff considers that part of what you're taking down can't go back up(See: gold lettering in the middle & logo under scoreboard).

Building-Present-2.JPG

17 hours ago, cberkas said:

With Wisconsin getting a new score/video board I think its time for the Ralph to get a NHL style score/video board and an on-ice projection system. It's time to be ahead of the rest of the NCAA.

Parts of it were in the works but temporarily put on hold.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

However, it may take longer than usual when REA staff considers that part of what you're taking down can't go back up(See: gold lettering in the middle & logo under scoreboard).

With the logo issue, sounds like we'll have this scoreboard for the full 30 years.

6 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Building-Present-2.JPG

I'm sure the school could repurpose the score/video board in the Olympic arena or maybe the Betty. 

It is time to move on with the whole nickname issue, nobody won and we all lost.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

With the logo issue, sounds like we'll have this scoreboard for the full 30 years.

I bet it will be replaced with what the NHL uses within a year or two.

No way UND lets anyone have the upper hand on them in hockey facilities. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I agree, I'd love to see a video board similar to the Wild or Lightning(on a smaller scale obviously).

This is the part that I think a lot of people miss when they describe upgrades they would like to see at REA.  Everything needs to be scaled down to a significantly smaller facility.  While ice projection is a natural feature that is actually overdue (especially for a school that is trying to remain at the top facilities-wise), they can really only do so much with a right-sized suspended center display.  I believe that REA has done an incredible job keeping up with the technology and the resolution of the hanging video boards is very good.  A monster scoreboard may have negative aesthetic consequences we wouldn't fully appreciate until after it was too late.

I don't think the golden FIGHTING SIOUX ring is what's holding things up.  At least I hope not, because that would be f'in ridiculous and short-sighted.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cberkas said:

I'm sure the school could repurpose the score/video board in the Olympic arena or maybe the Betty

It is time to move on with the whole nickname issue, nobody won and we all lost.

That would be a cool idea, if possible. As for the REA, as much as I love seeing Fighting Sioux up there, state of the art facilities is more important.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This is the part that I think a lot of people miss when they describe upgrades they would like to see at REA.  Everything needs to be scaled down to a significantly smaller facility.  While ice projection is a natural feature that is actually overdue (especially for a school that is trying to remain at the top facilities-wise), they can really only do so much with a right-sized suspended center display.  I believe that REA has done an incredible job keeping up with the technology and the resolution of the hanging video boards is very good.  A monster scoreboard may have negative aesthetic consequences we wouldn't fully appreciate until after it was too late.

I don't think the golden FIGHTING SIOUX ring is what's holding things up.  At least I hope not, because that would be f'in ridiculous and short-sighted.

Kohl Center is going with a score board like the one at Madison Square Garden (or at least similar to it). So one of similar scale of Amalie Arena or the Xcel Energy Center could work. The hight of the score board at Amalie Arena looks to be close to about the same as the whole score/video board in the Ralph. Most of these score boards in the NHL have small screens underneath for the rows closer the the ice to see replays in the board. The ice projection system costs at least $1 million. 

On 8/3/2017 at 0:16 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I'd be really surprised if we had it for 30 years. I'd be willing to bet it gets redone in the next 3 years.

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2017 at 2:18 PM, cberkas said:

Hrynkiw is the new goalie coach. 

Like the move.  Keep a character guy that the players love around the program.  I think Hrynkiw knows that KG is just a phone call away and Karl will always help where he can.  

Not much of a prediction, but Cam will have a huge year. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Like the move.  Keep a character guy that the players love around the program.  I think Hrynkiw knows that KG is just a phone call away and Karl will always help where he can.  

Not much of a prediction, but Cam will have a huge year. 

I agree with this, plus what coach could you bring in that knows Cam better. It sounds like he is going to incorporate a lot of the things that Karl used.