SiouxSports.com Forum

UND basketball "Mount Rushmore"

Siouxperfan7

This topic was mentioned in a thread, and I thought that since the season is now over, why not start up a good conversation about the greatest players in UND basketball history.  The question was asked whether Hooker is on UND's "Mount Rushmore" of basketball.  Great question.  UND has had some pretty spectacular players.  3 of the 4 I would put up there would be Scott Guldseth, Dave Vonesh, and Phil Jackson.  But who gets the 4th spot?  Hooker had one heck of a career.  does he belong up there with the all time greats at UND?  Players like Chirs Gardner, Travis Tuttle, Mike Boschee, Troy Huff, and Jerome Beasley (to name a few) all had great careers.  

So who is your "Mount Rushmore" of UND mens basketball?!!

1. Jackson
2. Guldseth
3. Hooker
4. Vonesh
5. Beasly, Bob Eaglestaff, Fred Lukens, and many others that I can't remember. 

Is this years team the best ever?  I would say the Guldseth, Vonesh, Gardner, Jacobson, Robertson teams of the early 90's would give this team a good run and maybe was better over a 3+ year period.

Here a few players I could think of that did well at UND

Herman Watesek (Lankin) (34, 35, 36 UND)   37-42 NBL

Chuck Wolfe (Minot) (50 - 53 UND)  Minneapolis Lakers 53

Jon Haaven (Mcintosh, MN)   (55, 56, 57 ND) 1957 drafted Minneapolis Lakers

Phil Jackson (Williston) (65, 66, & 67 UND)   NBA NY Nicks

Chris Fahrbach (Menasha, WI) (76-79 UND) 1979 drafted Milwakee Bucks

Dan Clausen (Australia) (80, 81, 82 UND)   professional career in Turkey and Australia.

Scott Guldseth (Edingburg) early 90's

Dave Vonesh (EGF, MN) (89, 90, 91 UND)

Jerome Beasley (Compton, CA)  (02, 03 UND)    2003 Miami Heat

Now today is Quinton Hooker's 1st day after a successful college basket career, so I'd add him.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Here a few players I could think of that did well at UND

Herman Watesek (Lankin) (34, 35, 36 UND)   37-42 NBL

Chuck Wolfe (Minot) (50 - 53 UND)  Minneapolis Lakers 53

Jon Haaven (Mcintosh, MN)   (55, 56, 57 ND) 1957 drafted Minneapolis Lakers

Phil Jackson (Williston) (65, 66, & 67 UND)   NBA NY Nicks

Chris Fahrbach (Menasha, WI) (76-79 UND) 1979 drafted Milwakee Bucks

Dan Clausen (Australia) (80, 81, 82 UND)   professional career in Turkey and Australia.

Scott Guldseth (Edingburg) early 90's

Dave Vonesh (EGF, MN) (89, 90, 91 UND)

Jerome Beasley (Compton, CA)  (02, 03 UND)    2003 Miami Heat

Now today is Quinton Hooker's 1st day after a successful college basket career, so I'd add him.

A list that large has to include Todd Johnson.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, GDPritch said:

Tuttle, Mustard and Rico were three real solid players too.  Albeit, probably not top 10 but would think top 25 perhaps? 

For those who remember Travis Tuttle, 27 years ago tonight, he scored 70 points of his HS team's 86 points.  He made 17 3 pointers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, GDPritch said:

Tuttle, Mustard and Rico were three real solid players too.  Albeit, probably not top 10 but would think top 25 perhaps? 

One thing to consider as people tend to look at things as Division 1 vs. division 2 and it might shade their point of view when comparing players.....you have to remember that there are about 65-70 more teams playing Division Basketball now as compared to the late 80's, early 90's which scholarship wise is another 800-900 athletes that would have been playing D1. The Rich Glas' and some of Dave Gunther's teams had more than their fair share of those players that would easily be division 1 by todays standards and opportunities.

That said, here is my team of players in the modern era but pre D1 that I would put up against many of our recent teams...yes I know I cheating putting these guys on one team but it's my post.:D

Point Guards--Rico Burkett, Burke Barlow

Shooting Guards--Travis Tuttle, Mike Boschee, Hunter Berg

Combo Guard(ball dominant)--Myron Allen

Small Forwards--Scott Guldseth, Todd Johnson, Dave Rettker, Kyle Behrens

Power Forwards--Jerome Beasley, Dave Robertson, Chris Gardner

Posts--Dave Vonesh, Chad Mustard, Kevin Wilson

Several of these guys can play a couple different positions and with the way todays game is played we would have some real difficult matchups with 6-7, 6-8 guys who can stretch teams out.

3 point shooters

Tuttle-44%

Guldseth-42%

T. Johnson-42%

Boschee-40%

Behrens-38%

What might have been if not for the NCAA screwing over yet another athlete with Myron Allen and Beasely.

Kevin Wilson was an absolute manchild his Freshmen and Sophomore years until he tore up his knee. Never was the same after sitting out a year. With todays technology he probably makes a full recovery and has 2 more dominant years.

Rico was such a great point guard and an absolute lockdown defender. I remember opposing point guards having to work just to get ball across half court.

Robertson and Rettker were your jack of all trades guys and they knew how to get other teams off their games. I'll never forget Robertson blowing in Troy Hartman's ear at the free throw line. Rettker told myself and a couple others a story about playing pick up ball  when he was back home against Michael Jordan...didn't go so well but you have to like a guy who wasn't afraid to trash talk the king of trash talk.

The upper teams in DII back in the 70’s are essentially DI now, as DI has grown from the low 200 in numbers then to more that 350 now.

DII has also grown from 200 to nearly 300 in that same time.  Most of those schools have come from NAIA, and the old upper half of DII have mostly moved to DI.  Look at the Northern Sun, which was mostly NAIA then.

Look at the DII NCAA playoff games that UND was involved in.  Ark St, S Illinois, Old Dominion, Chattanooga and others were DII or college division then too.

Switching from the college and university divisions had a major effect as the huge DIII was split off, but DII teams increasingly saw DII as not for them as it doesn’t give enough upside advertising for the money spent.

http://www.ncaa.org/governance/division-ii-membership-growth

The population may have doubled, but the student numbers in the 70’s were mainly higher then now.

Being a DI school now is much less exclusive than a DI school in the 60’s and 70’s.

The level of DII now isn’t comparable to what it was then.

• 1 year later...