SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

So hoopster, in your opinion what would Jones have to go next year in order to be fired?

I just wish since hoopster believes Jones is such a good coach that some other school would come calling

Those expectations will remain internal.  Brian is optimistic about a solid jump in the Sky next year.

You seem to be confusing a pipe dream with reality. We thought darrel was nuts when he started this thread when UND came in 2nd last season. The nut actually goes on other Big Sky boards and rips jones . Anybody who posts garbage for 418 days with zero chance of happening due to the absurdity of the idea needs to be called out. 418 DAYS and not even a hint about him getting canned by the people who actually know something about the UND athletic dept.

Dude what is your problem. First I am not a member of any other board except this one, second you calling me a nut is a violation of this board and I and others I'm sure demand you be banned. If Gfhockey can get banned this one should be banned too.
  • Upvote 2

Those expectations will remain internal.  Brian is optimistic about a solid jump in the Sky next year.

IF you truly are on the inside of the athletic department for UND, then we have some pretty big issues.  I don't necessarily agree with getting rid of Jones this season, but there are obviously some red flags with his coaching performance.  To say otherwise is just foolish...

I'll bite.

If you are a member of the athletic department, you epitomize one of the major issues with UND athletics and its expectations. You say that you disregard outside opinion, well, that outside opinion is the opinion of the people who pay for tickets and generate revenue for the athletic department. To disregard the opinion of paying fans and alumni is quite ignorant and misguided. Lastly, the Big Sky Conference is a pedestrian league filled with below average teams. The teams that consistently compete for conference crowns and NCAA tournament appearances (Montana and Weber State) have had their way with UND MBB, so perhaps you should analyze that before seeing 12-8 and immediately thinking everything is okay. Lastly, only looking at conference competition is narrow-minded; NDSU, SDSU and USD (former NCC and now Summit league teams) are all teams that UND should use as a standard. 2 of those 3 have made NCAA tournament appearances and, collectively, they have a winning record against UND.

So, *IF* you are a member of the UND athletic department, you should realize your assessment criteria is in desperate need of revisment.

They are also savvy enough to know that you don't gauge public opinion from a chat room. 

They are also savvy enough to know that you don't gauge public opinion from a chat room. 

Every message board has its share of crackpots, but I actually think the general sentiment of this board is probably pretty indicative of the public's opinion on the job Jones has done. Just like it was regarding the job his predecessor did. Even Tom Miller labeled Jones' body of work as "mediocre" in the Herald's live chat yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

I certainly hope that Faison at least sat down with Jones earlier this week and outlined what his expectations are for next season.  That is of course assuming he has expectations for Men's Basketball.  If not, the inmates continue to run the asylum.

This is what concerns me the most.  I dont think Faison, or anyone else in the athletic department, has much of a clue what a successful MBB program can do for the school. (this, is where the hockey first mindset comes into play, I hate to bring it up).  The MBB program should define championship game as the goal next year.  Short of that, it would be tough to continue status quo

The MBB program should define championship game as the goal next year.  Short of that, it would be tough to continue status quo

I don't disagree, but that is a huge leap.  Going from last place to the conference title game in a year's time is a daunting task.  If that were the stipulation that Faison put out there (not saying it is), then might as well cut the cord now rather than prolong it. 

My fear is that when/if he had a conversation with Jones, he told him we best make the conference tourney next year.  That is a pretty low goal, but would be fairly remarkable considering where this program is at today.

I don't disagree, but that is a huge leap. Going from last place to the conference title game in a year's time is a daunting task. If that were the stipulation that Faison put out there (not saying it is), then might as well cut the cord now rather than prolong it.

My fear is that when/if he had a conversation with Jones, he told him we best make the conference tourney next year. That is a pretty low goal, but would be fairly remarkable considering where this program is at today.

Too low. Top 3-4. His comments has boxed him in. If he squeaks in be better make a run. Plus if we go neutral next year? Everyone gets in

To be clear, I didn't say that should be the goal, rather I fear that it is.

I hope not either. That's not real improvement. Only justification would be if they won the conference tourney from the 8 spot. Something tells me the deck will be stacked against us schedule wise.

After watching a special tonight on WDAZ fawn over the question "what do you like better, Bison football or Bison basketball" I threw up in my mouth a little.  I blame Faison, Kelly, and the ducky and bunny patrol for this state of affairs.  Do we have the will be be successful?  I'm not very sure. 

• Upvote 2

After watching a special tonight on WDAZ fawn over the question "what do you like better, Bison football or Bison basketball" I threw up in my mouth a little.  I blame Faison, Kelly, and the ducky and bunny patrol for this state of affairs.  Do we have the will be be successful?  I'm not very sure. 

Faison and Jones' contracts run through 2017, so I don't see it getting any better in the next 12 months.   We need some positivity around here...I hope the boys can deliver #8 in April.   

• Upvote 1

Not that too many people have high expectations for next season anyway, but to give some idea of what UND is facing, EWU, Montana, NAU and Weber return a lot of proven production. And SUU and Montana St. return a similar amount as UND. I believe getting back anywhere close to the top of the standings is going to be far more difficult than it was in 2012-13 or 2013-14.

Not that too many people have high expectations for next season anyway, but to give some idea of what UND is facing, EWU, Montana, NAU and Weber return a lot of proven production. And SUU and Montana St. return a similar amount as UND. I believe getting back anywhere close to the top of the standings is going to be far more difficult than it was in 2012-13 or 2013-14.

There's a chance EWU loses Harvey. I guess he graduates in the spring and will be able to transfer and play immediately if he wants.